Will there be ingame voice chat ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Millerlitening, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

In game comms make racing far more involving, and indeed safer, most league racers use it. As has been said just being able to warn folk which side you are going to let a faster driver pass can save many a coming together. It is one of those things that until you have used it you will be unaware of it's value. The bandwidth issue is a fair point though, rF2 is greedy in that respect.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Nascar drivers spoke to each other last season when the tandem drafting was in, so it does happen.

No point for ISI to introduce it, plenty of decent programs out there that do a better job.

3. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

in real life... you don't have driving aids either... I don't think that the level of realism is a valid argument in the feature discussion.
    It's all about added value for the users. For me, you could remove all driving aids options, as I never use them. This is my view but I'm sure that for some people is has a added value.

So what would be the negative points in having in-game voice chat? I can only see advantages for people that use chat. Might not be prio #1 but in 2012 a sim should offer chat options.

Let's also not forget that playing rF2 online, has a recurring cost now.(except if buy lifetime) Centralized voice-chat feature linked to your account could be one of the services offered by ISI. (btw are there any new services offered by ISI for this additionale money they ask?)

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We won't be doing that. There are lightweight free tools available (such as TeamSpeak) to do this already.

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'd love if a voice chat service were available in-game with no 3rd party service needed. The problem is apparent right here in this thread- there are several different clients for this and none is really truly standard. If there's no standard, there's no communication. In leagues it won't be a problem (except the first time racing with them) but if the Mumble.TS server goes down there is a huge problem. Plus, there are different servers, different rooms and the server fee is one more fee for the league to shell out for.

There is really no question whether a voice chat in-game is better. On many levels it's better and ISI needs to make up their minds about what they are willing to do and what lengths they are willing to go to if they want rF2 to really be the best. Do they have the time/resources/interest in making rF2 the best, most feature rich sim currently out there?

6. 88mphTim

Well we've already answered this one quite a few times. Mind is made up, thanks.

7. coops

coops Banned

now you have answered: it again and again close the bloody thread on it and maybe put in a sticky some where for the future. so many things asked more than twice when you give the answers tim, maybe if Gjon comes and tells them it will be all over.

8. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

Can it be done so when anyone join a game-server it automatically (by scripting or something) makes us join a second server with voice/chat/ranking/whatever on it? In that case i could help the community with a server on my 100/100mbit located in Sweden. Then we "the community" could make it standard for those that like it :)

This can also be used to extend the community and have a little fun and get to know each-other. For example on the campfire track on the weekends for some hillbilly racing and jumping over the fire while drinking beers and talk crap, lol.
    Or as i mentioned in another thread, the spectators could join a server and chat with each-other while watching a good simrace, or for commentators. :-D
    If this is of any interest or possibility i setup a server for anyone to use...

9. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

even though it's a very nice proposal, it won't replace a build-in voice-chat.
    forget about it... we have now auto-skin download, to share the boobs on our templates(as somebody mentioned in another thread)... which is obviously much more important than staying in touch with the people on the track... it's getting harder and harder to understand the plan.....

10. Knight of Redemption

Yes it's a bit of a shame, sure I have a TS server for my league but I don't want to give out the details to every Tom Dick or Harry I may race with on open servers...Oh well nowt in life is perfect. ;)

11. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

LOL "mind is made up, thanks". OK. But it doesn't change the fact that it would make it a better game.

Teamspeak doesn't group random drivers in a track together in a chat.
    TS and so on don't cut it because each TRACK needs its own voice comms - hence it is an in-game thing.

But oh well - fair enough. Just release an update and I will forget about it k?

FYI NOTE: Releasing the game through Steam means you get an in game chat client by default.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
  12. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Ventrilo does a superb job in our league, don't see why ISI would need to re-invent the wheel.

Although I understand the point of realism in that in real life drivers can't chat to each other, it has to be remembered that they are professional drivers and so they're always (well almost!) have their wits about them because racing is a matter of life and death. Flags are respected and there is genuine respect to other drivers. In our league, we sometimes have new guys who are slower and learning the ropes meaning they're very slow relative to the leaders. Without any sort of comms, it would be difficult for them to learn and for leaders to drive.

Not to mention the technical issues when there are disconnects or general comms regarding briefs and debriefs etc. Plus the social aspect as well makes it a lot more fun especially when you hear a tirade after someone's binned it "f#@#!#kkkin b@&h corner 3!!".

13. Knight of Redemption

TS and the like are fine for League racing you know who you are giving your details to, but for open races? Like I say I'm not handing out my server details to all and sundry...but it's a mute point anyway. :)

14. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Fair point, but how serious are open races that require some sort of comms? (legit question, I only use public servers a few times a year at most).

15. 88mphTim

Steam isn't an option.

I think long term servers could list their Teamspeak (or whatever server) in their info.

16. Knight of Redemption

There are one or two open leagues I race with now and again, there may be more I don't know. But I could sure have done with being able to communicate once or twice...

17. Knight of Redemption

LOL Sorry, not in a million years. Maybe ISI could get one (tongue in cheek):p

18. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I lack any experience on open leagues so can't really add much of value to this issue in particular. I have some basic pre-defined macros for chat comms which although is obviously not as good as voice comms have proved to be useful when a driver doesn't have voice comms. Lines such as ''I'm pitting now'' or ''can I pass on the inside'', ''I'll back-off on the straight'' etc. Not ideal I know but it's something.

End of the day however, the onus is on the other driver to cooperate with your request regardless of how it is communicated. I've seen just as many incidents with voice comms as I have without (we ran a few races without when our voice server was down).

19. 88mphTim

I don't understand the reply... Get what?

20. Knight of Redemption

A TS server...blimey keep up, he he.