Will there be a career mode in rFactor2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racefreak1976, Jun 19, 2012.

1. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Don't know if you have experience competing in leagues. but it gives the best context to racing. especially if you are not allowed to compete the racing serie until you reach some rank level. This would be (is) my choice.

However I'm not against career mode, or other scenarios for rF2 as option. I can bet, that it would be possible if rF2 will provide scripting abilities etc. Then behaviour would not depends on ISI but on mods/scenarios creators.
    IMO it is really hard to program all possible scenarios making flexible career modes available. There may be some simply solutions hard-coded, but those will never satisfy everyone.

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I don't think a "traditional career mode" is necessary...

All we need is the ability to create championship seasons, with any series (or combination of series) with any tracks and have all the relevant stats kept and stored.

For instance, I create and play 6 seasons of "Formula ISI". I can look at my "career stats" and see my wins, podiums, championships, etc...

Next, I decide to switch to DTM or Touring Cars or whatever. Same as above applies.

That way, our "career" is totally our own and open-ended. We don't have to follow a pre-determined "career". We choose our own path. If I don't want to start with karts, I can go straight to Formula 3 or GP2 or F1 if I want.

We just need the ability to create championship seasons with a rule database; i.e. Formula 1 rules, DTM rules, WTCC rules, etc... and the ability to choose any combination of cars/series and tracks.

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

But such one solution don't need to be implemented into game. You can do it by your self, parsing result files into some XLS sheet, or program some external app (web one) to organize such championships.
    Of course it would be nice to have it in game, but is it worth this?

4. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Yes it's worth it imo. CTDP Championship Manager for rF1 was brilliant, but it didn't always work properly.

To have a program like that in-game would be pure awesome sauce.

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I can agree. but how can you be sure that ISI solution will always work as expected? ;)
    Besides rule no program is 100% perfect, ISI focuses on other sim aspects more I believe. So in that case 3rd party, dedicated solutions should be more stable... which may not be true if there is no enough demand :)

but yes, more options, more flexibility means better final product. however I (as programmer) would do that another way, just as I said, by implementing scripting engine. It would be open doors to almost infinity bunch of features, not involving ISI any more. (like one in Arma2 for example). Maybe one day...

6. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I have very little experience in league racing because they require me to be available for racing on a semi-regular basis. That is something my current life situation won't allow. That's why I enjoy single-player so much, I can do it when I have the time.

It also doesn't help that most leagues are in different time zones...
    This would probably be the best solution.

7. bastins

bastins Registered

I would love to see some kind of career mode. The problem I see, however, is: what exactly is a "career mode"? Could we really agree on what a career mode should be?

For example, you've got the gamey career mode like you'll find in games like DiRT, where you simply race a track, unlock a new one, race that new track, unlock another, etc., etc. all while earning money which you use to buy level 2 "speed", or level 3 "handling".

Then on the other side of the spectrum, you've got a career mode like you'll find in NASCAR Dirt to Daytona, where you start out in the weekly dirt series, race through actual year-to-year racing seasons, agree to sponsorship deals, and buy new parts for your car. Stats and standings are of course also tracked as with any sports game.

Personally, I would love to see a career mode, but only if it's like the latter. I know a lot of people would disagree, though, so I think ISI would actually be better off not giving us "a career mode", and instead, giving us a nice set of tools and options to create and manage our own ideas of a championship or career. For starters, I'd like to see a way to manually work with the starting grid, as well as some tools for working with the AI drivers.

8. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Agreed +1

See post #22 ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  9. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I would also favour the latter. If I want to unlock stuff I go play Battlefield 3.

10. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Same here. I loved the championships in rF1 and I hope rF2 gets something at least as good.

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'd like to see a flexible career mode AND a championship career mode. If I chose an open wheel career I wouldn't do karting and I wouldn't do F1 either, but to go from formula ford to FR3.5 to F3 to GP2 or A1GP would be cool. A touring car career would awesome too- from Clios to Ginetta G50 (hint hint ISI!) to some touring car class would be great.

But if I decide to jump right in to a top level drive, I should be able to do that whenever and I should be able to create my own season.