Will the next build fix my problem?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricknau, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I haven't gotten the Launcher to consistently start the sim since 798 was installed. Takes 15 or 20 reboots and reattempts before I get lucky. Then the sim works fine until I have to close the Launcher and I'm back to reboot, reattempt, repeat repeat repeat. I've done 3 "fresh" installs hoping for a different result... (yeah I'm a little insane!) but now I've stopped bashing my head against that wall. So if a fresh install of the current build can't fix what ails it what do you think the chances are that a new build will work? It sounds like something in that 798 install hosed my computer. Like the registry or something, I don't know, I'm not an expert.

2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I think REVO uninstaller has a trial version. I own the program, so I use it to remove and revert changes made by games and programs. That could help you out.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Most likely there is an issue with your PC considering how many people have the game run fine on their PCs. Is it possible to fully wipe your harddrive and start the entire PC from scratch or is that too much of a hassle?

4. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

I had this problem when I updated to 798, I uninstalled all my plugins and turns out one of them wasn't compatible with the new build.

5. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I've not heard of that. I had the great notion to do a System Restore but none of my restore points go back to before the 798 install. Maybe the REVO uninstaller can get me there.

I guess you're suggesting maybe a Windows problem and I that's what I'm wondering as well. I doubt it's HW. The PC seems to do everything else just fine, including running the sim beautifully once I can get it launched. It's just the launcher that has a problem. If nothing else works including the new rF2 build then a new Windows install may be the last resort.

Well this has made a positive difference! The only plugin I use (intentionally) is the rF2Pedal Overlay. Curiously though, I also see TrackIR_rF2 file in the Plugins folder. Not sure how or why that is there. Anyway I emptied the Plugins folders (32 and 64) and now the Launcher works the first time each time it is called on after a reboot. So no more 15 or 20 tries until I get lucky. Man that feels like a win!!

For anybody that's still tuned in and has deeper knowledge of installing SW, how's this for a clue? (I posted this in the Tech Support forum but got no replies.).

After fresh install when I look at properties of Launcher shortcut I see:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Launcher\Launch rFactor.exe" C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Launcher\Launch rFactor.exe

Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Launcher"

The Target line has two entries. One in quotes and one not? I eliminated one of the entries but it didn't help. (That's the way I still have it.) so the install program is tripping up when it seeks out the Target path. I know it did this on more than one install. Oh yeah, I am currently using an alternative Launcher executable that Jeremy Miller cranked out to help somebody else with similar issues. Didn't seem to make any difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  6. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Same thing I have in the shortcut. I'm sure most, if not all of users have the same. I've never had problems you have had. You did find the problem.
    As far as the stray trackIR file you had, now that is something I get after an OS install is a couple of years old. Strange things begin to happen. Right now my OS does the occasional bazaar thing with files.

7. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

Try to disable your antivir program and see if the launcher starts. If not also try to disable your firewall. If the problem still exists try to disable both and reinstall rf2. Thats the first steps i would try if you haven't already.

8. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Also run as admin .

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You should just have this/do this, if you think it's not a shortcut issue:
    http://rfactor.net/web/docs/applica...-find-or-load-the-qt-platform-plugin-windows/
    That's the only one related to our software, any other reason for not starting might be what you've already noted, or the software not being properly uninstalled/updated when we introduced the x64 dirs.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

After 28 Hours !

Backup / image C:\Drive and do a fresh OS and fresh rFactor2, simple. :confused:

Better then stuffing about for all that time, will take a hour. :confused:

Why use add-on tools to do a simple job ? :confused:

Rather use a tool that work and will protect ya.

With TrueImage you can make, restore, backup unbreakable images in minutes. :eek:

11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Tried both of those. No-go. But thanks for the suggestions.

Not sure what your saying that I should try. That link goes to a page thet says make sure the launcher is pointing to the correct location. It is. Everything else is about "I get an error about missing...", "sim does not start", "multiplayer greyed out", "All options in launcher are greyed out". None of these are my problem.

"That's the only one related to our software..." What's the only one? Only link?

Durge, I'm about to that point... But it will only take an hour? I've never done a OS reinstall anywhere near that fast considering all the programs, drivers, etc that have to be reinstalled. When you say "Backup / Image" my drive is that some magic shortcut to make less work? I've only ever reinstalled right over the old install.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. So I take it that nobody thinks it's worth waiting for the next build to see if it will some how correct the problem?

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well if you have image software and you have a lighter OS and preferably any SSD yes a hour.

1. Backup my entire OS with TrueImage with thumbdrive takes ( 3 minutes ....but I should already have a perfect working image set as I use everyday for sims stored so no need to do another one )

You want a image to be only the stuff you need for sims nothing more.

Now of course this depends on how big your C drive is which is why I always say for my sim OS "clean is mean"

My sim OS is 19GB spot on. IE: ( Google grows past that but I have a standalone Google folder I can replace anytime, resets all my cookies bookmarks yadda and size of drive to exactly 19GB)

My sim OS Hardrive is a 60GB Force 3 ( not that fast compared to newer ones )

To backup my OS takes 3 minutes that is only 19GB remember.............. 100GB data on a SSD add another 5-10 minutes, etc.

2. RUN W7 HP 64bit install 12-15 minutes from Thumbdrive

3. Install drivers 5-10 minutes

4. Clean up OS , set icons, copy over rF2 credentails and mastemp folders to admin/ roaming - 10 minutes

5. Boot rF2 ( I assume this is sitting safe on another partition or drive ? ..........right ? lol )

6. No better ? then I can Restore the TrueImage in 3 minutes I am back to where I started in a hour or so all up like I said..... ;)

PS. I am more then likely to run GPARTED before OS install to zero-write my SSD if its been a while since a fresh OS

That takes 3 minutes as well

You can make one thumbdrive put your W7, all your drivers ( extracted), apps and the boot tools I mention above with bootable menu so you do not even change a disc ! lol That saves a lot of mucking about ;)

YUMi
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

DD

Hope people can undertstand pigeon English :rolleyes: lol

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014