will either an ATI 5570 or an 6450 run Rf2?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by JCarter, Jun 9, 2013.

1. JCarter

JCarter Registered

Hi guys, I'm in need of a low profile video card that will run with my current stock Dell power supply (250w). I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the 5570 or the 6450 since these will work with my machine and not break the bank.

Problem is, I dont know if they are strong enough to run Rf2. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance

BTW, i know it wont be awesome. Im not a serious gamer that has to have all the top of the line stuff running at full capacity. I just need it to work and be half way decent

2. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

3. JCarter

JCarter Registered

What about a gts 240?

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Actually, the 5570 would be the better choice of the 2 mentioned, though the 6450 would probably use less power. Both are capable of running rF2 on a single screen if you keep the resolution down and turn a number of things down in the sim as well. The main thing you are going to have to watch for is running out of power. I am guessing from you asking for a low profile card as well as keeping to the low power of the PSU that you have an e-machine which were pretty much designed for the internet rather than gaming in general. There may also be issues with your CPU not being powerful enough for the sim, but I am pretty sure that 3Ghz that you have should be enough to do a low resolution setting ok.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

The ATI 5570 in itself would be able to run rf2 I think, i'm using a 4800 and I can keep the issues under control so far.

Whether or not the rest of your machine is capable.....

However, I for one would not be upgrading hardware for a beta.

6. JCarter

JCarter Registered

Finally got everything up and running. The 5570 DOES indeed work (at least I can open the game and drive around the track) I havnt messed with it much so I dont know what its capabilities are as of yet. But, at least its progress.

Jim, thank you for your time the other day. I really appreciate it.

A question for the masses; why doesnt ISI list SPECIFIC requirements for the video card? It is my understanding that various video cards perform a variety of diffrrent ways. Instead of just saying ATI 4870 or better. What exactly does "better" mean? More FPS, larger bandwith, etc. It would behooves them to list specific requirements rather than just stating in my mind, an opinion regarding a specific card.

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

It is possible that ISI due to the continued development of the game hasn't yet finalized the requirements for being able to run. You are right though that it would be nice to have something a little more specific in order to be better prepared. I for one would like to see a list similar to what tomshardware.com shows when they compare graphic cards and CPU's so that there is little confusion. Unfortunately that list would need to be constantly updated as time goes on to include all of the new graphics cards and CPU's as they come out.

Generally speaking though, when they say ATI 4870 or better, they are referring to not only the speed of the card or the family, but also the memory available on the card. The memory requirement I believe was your biggest area of incompatibility by the way JCarter, though the graphic processor was also an issue.