Wiki

Discussion in 'Wiki' started by 88mphTim, Jun 1, 2012.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Welcome to the rFactor Wiki.

This is a community run Wiki which allows open editing.

The benefit of a Wiki over a Forum is that a Wiki page should reflect the current state of knowledge on a topic whereas a Forum requires you to trawl through numerous posts to try and piece together the relevant information.

Every Wiki page has an associated discussion page (see tabs at the top) that allows people to debate the topic and help them come to an agreement over the page content.

You can see how the page has changed overtime by looking at the history tab at the top. You can subscribe to a page to track changes by clicking on the watch tab.

To help structure the Wiki it maybe useful to name the pages according to some form of naming convention, so pages maybe named something like:
    RFactor2 _ Track Guide _ Brianza
    RFactor2 _ Track Guide _ Monza
    RFactor2 _ Car Setup _ Geneeral Guide
    RFactor2 _ Car Setup _ Renault
    RFactor2 _ Controller Setup _ General Tips
    RFactor2 _ Controller Setup _ G27

P.S. I only updated this because I'm finding it hard going through the forums trying to find out how to setup cars and controllers etc...(but as its a wiki you can delete or change this as you want)

2. aka006

aka006 Registered

Hmm.. I love wikis I think there much better than forums.. imagine if wikipedia was a forum..lol.. I wonder if there are any other successful community driven gaming wikis that we could look at and learn from?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
  3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

We run a wiki as well, mainly for our own league but we try to keep things separated so non-members may find it usefull as well.
    our racing guide for example: http://legends-league.com/wiki/RacingGuide
    Its far from finished and abit of an experiment to see how far we can take it as a community but it allready has some nice articles.

4. aka006

aka006 Registered

Thanks for the link.. Its nice to find some documentation on rfactor that isnt in a forum format.. Im new to rfactor so Im finding it hard to get into without decent docs

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

About the isi-wiki, it seems abit dead and i supose that is because rf1 info is spread out allready and there's little sense for people to put time innit and at the same time we cannot proporly add info on rf2 since its still beta and things might/will change?

So hopefully we will see some more action in the future because i think this wiki can be/should be a great tool for us all.

6. aka006

aka006 Registered

Yes, I hope so... I've given up with RF1 and RF2 as I dont have the patience to trawl the internet to find the best settings for my steering wheel, find a drivable car setup, figure out how to get the telemetry plugin to work etc.. But I know its the best driving sim out there so Im going to have to sit it out and wait for some useful documentation..

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It takes time to make information to Wiki, but I have started several Let's talk topics to modding help section of rF2 board and those are physics information, which most are not going to be changed afaik. Brakes and swaybars are such that those at least could be wikified already, preferrably job for person that has no to little modding experience as then new questions would arise that can be clarified and put to wiki so that total beginner to modding can make realistic physics by learning from Wiki.

Brakes might be nice to start as Knut has provide us a tool which you can use to calculate brake torque, disc heating, cooling and inertias.

8. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Forgive a super-noob question, but where is the actual wiki? It appears to me that this is just a subforum where only the OP can edit the first post, so maybe I just misunderstood the whole thing?

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

it was different in the beginning, more wiki like, now its this, Tim mentioned he wanted to incorporate it into the site at one point but that could just be ideas.

I'm not too impressed by this wiki either so we are creating our own atm. loads of work gone into it and still need loads more :)

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I did make this modding one http://www.reddit.com/r/rfactor2/wiki/index than I found out there was a wiki elsewhere to, DOH :D Always looking for contributors though.