wierd question for you about the Howston engine sounds

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by Guy Moulton, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Question for ISI about the Howston engine sounds: funny story

Is the engine sound for the Howstons based off the real engine sound of a chevy small block? Is it sampled off the sounds of that engine by any chance?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013
  2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I guess someone from ISI would have to answer.

The reason I ask is because of something that happened when I was lapping TWS 19 with the Howston G6. My wife is a big fan of American muscle cars from the 60's and once had a 78 Camaro with a rebuilt older small block V8 305 (she thinks the engine was from the early 70's) among other muscle cars. She also can ID pretty much any car on the road by sight and she is very accurate. It's just a skill she developed detailing cars when she was younger. Sometimes she can ID cars from hearing them as well.

So I was lapping TWS 19 with the Howston and on the oval section I asked her if she recognized the engine sound. I happen to know that the Lola T70 that was most successful (won the Daytona 24 hours) was the T70 Chevrolet. My wife knows nothing about rFactor 2 or this mod. I was in cockpit view and she had never seen the mod before and didn't know anything about it. She listened and answered "Chevy small block v8?" I was blown away- but was this an amazing coincidence or is rFactor 2 and this Howston mod just that accurate?

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I don't know the source, but the original file name included "CHEV".

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'm telling you, dude- I am not making this up. That story is an actual factual. She heard the engine and picked it up and nailed it. Which means you guys nailed it!

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

To me it sounds great, just missing the usual oomph that real life cars have. But then that would probably be hard to capture and get right.

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Alright, so today's test for my wife was the ISI 370z. Her father owned a Z and her brother owns a late 80's Z right now. So I know that she knows the engine note of a Z, I just didn't know if she could tell a modern Z engine noise.

So yeah she nailed it. Of course, she could not see it, this was by sound only. So apparently ISI has nailed it too. More tests are scheduled......

OK, update- the Camaro was too easy. Then she also guessed that the Skippy has a Mazda engine (she couldn't get the model- MX5, she guessed RX8- close enough). So the game is as amazing as she is!

We did however discover that some 3rd party mods use engine samples from other manufacturers than what the car is supposed to have.....

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2013