Wich S397/ISI cars have REAL AND ACCURATE data VS real car in real life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dadaboomda, Nov 4, 2017.

1. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Can you please elaborate?

2. headder

headder Registered

I didn't know that the GP3 car uses real car data and was tested by GP3 drivers :O

Hell, gonna test it out today :) It's gonna be stormy weekend in Poland so... Gonna stay pretty much at home.

PS. As far as I remember, the Enduracers Mod is based on some real data, they also compared the cars against onboards, but probably they're all BoP'ed in order to give the fair online racing.

avenger82 likes this.
  3. bwana

bwana Registered

Read the GP3 thread , Mr D . A race engineer has help SM weave his magic

4. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I called him Gary. All mechanics are called Gary.

avenger82 and bwana like this.
  5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Not only him but also Michael Borda from S397 who provided tires based on official data. Also physics calculator spreadsheet was customized for GP3 needs.

6. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Where did you read that? It seems likely since other mods like Simtek GT3 Series did similar thing.

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

It's more possible to get data from customer cars, specially GT3 as there are many teams around the world. You can call/email them and do some questions, some people in these teams are really good and will give the information you need, some may let you visit their shops to take pics, etc.
    I guess for GTE/P2 cars is harder because there is less teams running them and many are kind of semi factory but you can go for teams running past gen cars and adapt it to current ones I imagine.
    Some people in the sim racing community work for these teams as well. Sometimes a modder will have as much access to the data as a dev with a license lol because a license most times mean right to use the brand in the game, nothing else.

There are teams that give stuff like shirts too (for giveaways, sim racing leagues) if you email them. One guy in our forum wanted to do a Sepang 2h race and asked for prizes from a GT Asia team and they sent it.

avenger82 and Emery like this.
  8. bwana

bwana Registered

Yep, just replying to the question on ‘ real team data’ ;)

9. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I've read that even with a lot of accurate data you still need to tune the mod for it to handle as the real car. That's what the best mods done i.e. GP3 mod was constantly refined with close collaboration with real GP3 engineers and drivers. They compare telemetry with real data to tune things like realtime tire behavior.

10. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Anyone tried the new official Endurance DLC already? From the release notes it looks like S397 put a lot of work not only in visuals, but also in physics. They worked closely with racing teams to make sure handling is correct: “Our close collaboration with teams and manufacturers have given us even more detailed insight into the tyres that they are running on these cars. On top of that, our laser scanned version of Sebring gave us an excellent opportunity to compare data to a 100% accurate track. The data prompted us to make some updates to our model”

Also I wonder how the handling and FFB will compare to the cars from Enduracers’ 2.0 mod. Both feature C7R.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  11. bwana

bwana Registered

Its a brilliant pack and worth getting, compared to Enduracers it has better FFB and a more planted feel from the tires. Not bagging Enduracers at all but you can tell the effects of licensing and collaboration with teams

12. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Great, that's what you would think. I found LMPs from Enduracers' Series mod stick to the road and have ridiculous grip even with lowest wings. You get almost no overseer and they are easy to handle, even at the limit, so there's no much sense to have high aero. I'll get official Endurance Pack and compare myself. I've read many positive reviews and also an't wait to drive GTEs.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    bwana likes this.
  13. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Even then I don't think you get the full picture. I still think these teams will fiddle the data slightly to stop others getting their hands on it. Ford and Holden did that with the Falcon and Commodore for iRacing and Falcon 4.0 which was developed with Lockheed Martin (and is one of the most realistic combat flight sims even now 20 years on) had some of the systems falsified to stop the Russians having a look.

14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That's because some series like DTM, GT500 and I suspect Supercars the teams are semi factory, GT3 are not. They sell it to you, as long as you pay the price you just run the cars, teams can siwtch cas, in PWC you there was a team with an AMG and a Porsche, the guys used one car or the other depending on the track LOL
    Cars are also BoPed and homologated, it's not like they are developing the car from one race to the other as it can happen in some other series
    Airplanes are on another whole level, makes no sense to even compare.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  15. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Does anyone know it during development of the official Endurance Pack, S397 had access to real telemetry data(and used it to compare with sim's output)?

16. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Yes

17. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Source?

18. Filip

Filip Registered

1. size = len(names)
    2. train_X = np.array(names[:size * 2/3])
    3. train_y = np.array(indStates[:size * 2/3])
    4. test_X = np.array(names[size * 2/3:])
    5. test_y = np.array(indStates[size * 2/3:])
    6. X = tf.placeholder(tf.float32, [None, max_sequence_length, num_input])
    7. y = tf.placeholder(tf.float32, [None, num_classes])
    8. weights = weight_variable([num_hidden, num_classes])
    9. biases = bias_variable([num_classes])
    10. telemetry = fetchTelemetryFromRealCars(num_hidden)
    11. out, states = tf.nn.dynamic_rnn(rnn_cell, X, dtype = tf.float32)
    12. y_ = tf.matmul(outputs[:,-1,:], weights) + biases
    13. loss = tf.reduce_mean(tf.nn.softmax_cross_entropy_with_logits(logits = y_, labels = y))
    14. train_step = tf.train.AdamOptimizer(learning_rate = learning_rate).minimize(loss)

19. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Where did you get that from? Looks like part of a script. Anyway S397 publicly said they worked closely with teams and this lead to upgrading tire model. Still they didn't find issue with Oreca's L/D ratio with default aero, but I don't know if that's something obvious when you compare with real telemetry.

20. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I know this is old thread, but it's worth an update, because meantime we had noteworthy releases.
    Mainly according to S397 and Tatuus representatives the 6 cars released in 2019 are very realistic:
    "Giovanni Delfino, CEO at Tatuus. “It was clear that we would be involved in a project like this. As far as I know no other race car manufacturer ever worked that close with a race simulation program with the sole purpose to make a our cars as realistic as possible and available for the public, including all teams running these cars and the drivers racing those. With this, rFactor 2 covers 70% of the FIA ladder and that’s impressive"
    https://www.studio-397.com/2019/06/tatuusrelease/

Also later released BMW M2 CS is based on real detailed data:
    https://www.studio-397.com/2019/12/bmw-m2/

As for community mods, I know F3 by SlowMotion group will be very realistic but it's still WIP.

vittorio likes this.