Wich S397/ISI cars have REAL AND ACCURATE data VS real car in real life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dadaboomda, Nov 4, 2017.

1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

lets move on from this debate it normally gets us nowhere.

2. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I dunno, there's a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man at Donnington Park that's a great braking reference point.

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

That's the best read I've had in a while. was one of those Corvette flavours mint choc chip? Because that's my favourite.

Binary grip- You either have grip or massive understeer. I've said before only the X-Bow, 458 and now the classic Alfa Romeo they just released are the exceptions to this rule. A lot of street cars in AC, but while you wouldn't expect to be going through Blanchimont flat, they should still put up a bit of a fight til they finally lose it.

4. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

IDK, didn't read whole thread. Anyway it looks like the mod wasn't released, unfortunately

For me there are more cars in AC that are also forgiving: i.e. Formula 3/Dallara, BMW i235, Mazda MX5, Nissan GTR etc. Or at least there is some error margin.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Has anyone compared handling/physics of similar cars in rF2 vs other sims? I think it's interesting because despite similar performance/ lap times, often handle differently.

Here my example: Corvette C6R GT2 in rF2 ( 2009) vs Assetto Corsa popular mod (C6R 2013) @Zandvoort (older track version in rF2: v0.8x)

Both cars had default settings except for disabled ABS and TC. Sound is from AC video.
    These weren't the best laps, but quite similar for comparison purposes. Nevertheless, handling was different and for me it was more chalenging took more to get used to in rF2. Especially when trying to brake hard at corner entry, the car was "unstable". Trying to turn at the same time could easily lead to snap-oversteer(similar to what Jan Seyffarth experienced while testing AMG GT3 in rF2).
    This isn't the case for AC at all - all I can get is understeer and as soon as I let off the brakes the car regains traction.
    Also what's different: in rF2 the car slides more easily(however is not that visible in this video), but it's usually not dangerous and car easily regains traction. In AC the car has more grip(no small slides). However, when it starts oversteer (usually when when accelerating too fast at corner exit) it's harder to catch - when you notice car starts spinning it's often too late.
    What's interesting is that in AC cars are usually more "planted" and in rF2 tracks are more bumpy, but at Zandvoort there's not much difference in this regard.

There are many examples of similar cars (like GT3 that exist in many sims) that can handle differently. Glaring example is 427 Cobra in rF2 is much difficult to drive than in AC(but I'm not sure it's the same model in this case).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

i personally think the new CPM tyre model helps with the over difficulty of older rf2 cars..

7. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Hi LokiD.

Can you tell me which cars you are talking about ?

With the standard setup (I only use the standard setups), I found 5 years ago at the very beginning that Cobra street version + one of the two howston in standard configuration + 3PA Gasoline Alley + I found the 2014 F3.5 pretty hard.

All the others seemed to me to be easy or challenging, but by no means hard.

Now I can not find any hard (just "challenging") and for S397 cars too, I have progressed and I know them well.

I'm not sure that some ISI cars are too hard, but I can be wrong :

For example, the AC Cobra has little grip in RF2, I'm not sure it has so little in reality.

Difficult to judge, I drive a lot in real life, but always with the same cars (1 low end and 1 SLK 230 that I use for the nords).

8. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

If you mean the latest CPM with QSA model fix then so far it's: Formula E, GT3 pack (McLaren, Callaway, Radical RXC, Mercedes-AMG, Bentley) and Honda Civic BTCC, Radical SR3 RSX

9. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Why would you ever want to brake and turn at the same time

Daniele Vidimari likes this.
  10. Filip

Filip Registered

This is exactly my observations. I feel like AC cars are heavier and have more inertia and in rF2 cars regain grip too easy maybe in what should be unrecoverable slip angles? I don't know which is more realistic but that's why I like rF2 most. Pure driving is fun and engaging.

11. LokiD

LokiD Registered

over difficulty is probably the wrong word. But cars over the limit aren't just deathtraps, they are actually saveable with the right skill. I feel some of the older rf2 cars are just impossible to save once over that limit of grip.. sort of just snaps and off you go.. also the low speed grip i think was way too slippy..

but ey this is my opinion, and i could be wrong.. but playing other sims i just find this.. Not so much now with s397s cars.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  12. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

On an RWD, if you are concerned that the oversteer is not recoverable depending on your abilities, block the front wheels while forcing the rear wheels to turn so that the front tyres are "no longer" of GRIP and the rear tyres continues to have GRIP.

For that (to schematize), accelerate + braking.

Very useful but on soft tires or medium, it creates very easily flatspot.
    Maybe you know the technique.

TO USE IN LAST RECOURSE AND AT LEAST LONG POSSIBLE.

13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I have read somewhere in a forum (can't find it anymore) from a guy who owns a AC Cobra in real live. He compared the Assetto Corsa and rF2 AC Cobra and said rF2 AC Cobra feels exactly like his in real live.

atomed likes this.
  14. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Trail braking?

LokiD and McKiernan like this.
  15. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Yes without it you can’t be fast, plus with ABS and TC enabled it’s easy. Otherwise you have to be careful with applying brake pressure ,especially in a sim when you don’t feel when wheels start to lock up. That’s why recently I enable ABS if it’s factory default as for most modern sport/ racing cars.

16. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

That’s interesting usually people say that cars in all major sims behave pretty much like real ones, yet they often handle differently and have different FFB in each sim.

17. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I wasn’t sure if he meant that because trail braking is turning in as bleed off the brakes,to me what he said sounded like turning in at the same time as you brake.

I see know he meant trail braking

18. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I have the impression that the vehicles in AC were deliberately given too much inertia to suppress hectic reactions, so that you can control the vehicle at any time. One of the physicists A. V. once created the Power&Glory Mod and even there, the cars feel much heavier than the originals in GT Legends.
    You could drift better than with the originals, but if a Cobra with a weight of 1 ton feels like it weighs 2 tons, then something doesn't suit me.
    You can also see this with Real Fov on 3 Triple Screen Setups or in the Rift, how the vehicle rebounds when changing directions. The steering wheel is already pointing to the right, while the front of the vehicle is still wobbling and pulling to the left, even with GT 3 vehicles, and then following the direction with a considerable delay. I know a rather competent modder who looked at some of the values and thought that in AC they handle too high Inertia values.
    I also find the slip curves of the tyres to be too undefined, the transition from static to sliding friction is much too soft and undefined, which is also true for the professional driver Wolfgang Reib.
    which makes drifting easier, but does not necessarily correspond to reality as can be seen here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYaFnfIfL-E&t=595s

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

19. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

You mean car mods for AC?

So yeah all sims have pros and cons, but it seems rF2 and Automobilista are the best in physics department(sorry pCars2 not mentioned ;) )

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  20. Andregee

Andregee Registered

No i mean a GT Legends convertion to GTR2 called Power and Glory mod.
    The different behaviour from all cars of this mod compared to the original GT Legends content is clearly noticeable and you can immediately recognize in Assetto Corsa the handwriting of the former P&G modder and current physics guy at Kunos named Aris. V. in Assetto Corsa. Inertia, Inertia, Inertia and slip curves of the tires that reach from the earth to the moon for better drifting.
    I have to say that i really like the P&G mod because old cars tends to to show slower reactions on steering inputs, they were heavier, and their tyres had bigger slip angles but it does not suit for modern cars.