Wich S397/ISI cars have REAL AND ACCURATE data VS real car in real life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dadaboomda, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Mauro

Mauro Registered

False declaration
    We haven't real teams and drivers on rf2

2. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Well bugger me! I just found out about the Palatov last week and have just today made a post about it, now I read this thread and I’m seeing mentioned. Dunno how I missed this one as I understand it’s quite old now, but it’s fecking fantastic! Why is it not official game content????

3. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

??? Read the article I posted. They said they were made realistic for teams, real drivers and public:
    "We at Tatuus are just as proud. Making our cars available in such a realistic way to all our drivers, but also the sim racing world is impressive. "

"With rFactor 2 and the development in esport it was clear the whole program would benefit from a proper platform. This platform is rFactor 2. We can create highly detailed cars, that match real car performance. Engine, boost mapping and tyre models are without doubt best out there. "

I don't know if the real drivers use them regularly, but it was made so they could use it for training etc. Perhaps you mean there are no e-sports events featuring real Tatuus drivers?

4. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Interesting aging topic.
    The only way to really tell is to have access to unlocked physics files along with access to comparable data from the real cars.
    Suspension geometry, driveline data and tire data is available on many older cars. Where suspension/chassis geometry and spring/damper values operate very similar between sim and real world, tire physics are extremely complex and there are no direct derivative values.

While rFactor2 has a very clever and novel tire physics algorithm the actual values used are somewhat subjective to behavioral modeling techniques, basically a trial and error with a well composed system of predictive outcome.

There are a number of folks who restore these cars, often for vintage racing, and a few of them have been willing to share that data. A few of the teams who raced "factory built" cars have also shared data with modders.

S397 cars have locked MAS files so there really isn't any way of knowing. There are a few cars that are modeled very close. MAK and iDT cars tend to be very accurate with suspension geometries. There may be others but there are also a number of mods that simply borrowed and hacked physics files from other cars so it's all caveat emptor to the bulk of the rF community.

There are also a few teams who actually use rF2 as a test sim. I've built a few unreleased car mods for them with virtually no body graphics as its a waste of time for that purpose. Tweaking tire values is a challenge but once we're in the ballpark the tuning parameters are pretty close on most of the track models, at least those where the MoTec data on suspension motion & rates are close between real world and simulated conditions. There are a handful tracks that differ significantly, and at least one of them is laser scanned. Go figure.

5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Interesting input.
    So I guess it's not possible for S397 released cars. But you can always compare telemetry data(if you have access to real one) and cockpit

videos on a track that is accurate(preferably laser scanned of course). Or have an independent pro driver that drives same car IRL.

That's good to know, but how do you really know that?

But I'm guessing the mods aren't public, rather private or for leagues only?

AFAIK if you had physical tire data from manufacturer, then in theory you could just put the values to tTool , run it and after "just" couple of days have them compiled/generated, plus you'd need to tune some realtime values( but I may be wrong as I never used tTool). P. I know i.e. GP3 mod had tire data and Michael Borda created them for this mod. Then they were tested against real data, tuned and generated again. There were few iterations of this process/cycle until tires matched real data.

6. Mauro

Mauro Registered

sorry for my bad English
    I understood that for rf2 we have real teams and a real driving license

My fault

7. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

To answer a few of your questions, there are a few of us out there with some background in motorsports including restoration and tuning, including damper dyno test data, MoTec data, dimensional data, etc.

You've got the idea close on the TGM/TBC tools, its the trial and error iterations that take time because they need to be tested on several different pavement and track types. Pretty much what you've described from Mr Borda is what has to be done to get best results.

avenger82 likes this.
  8. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Regarding tires IIRC it took few months to tune the tires for GP3, each time M. Borda created them they were thoroughly tested and compared agains real telemetry data etc. so it’s not feasible process for average modder. But of course few modders have such attention to detail regarding physics and access to telemetry. That’s why it’s important to have good reference tire sample database. I’ve read S397 is not updated i.e. after GT tires were updated (2018) , they were never posted to the DB. S397 wrote that they can do it after some obfuscation .

Edit: so you create mods in rF2 for customers or private use?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020