Why the hell GET MOD is not working so often ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GauchoRS, Feb 21, 2014.

1. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

GET MOD works always with ISI oficial servers, ISR and with my league but in 95% of other public servers this feature is not working.

It is a shame !

Where is the sticky thread or the manual chapter or the wiki page or what ever else to explain it >?

btw. session information is still wrong often - there is a qualify session announced in matchmaker but coming on the server the race is nearly over :mad:

2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I can understand frustration, believe me, I invented it, but you are going to get some "not so nice" remarks here I'm afraid, just judging by the "tone" here.
    Maybe soften it a bit until the frustration is a bit less? ;)

3. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

It also works good over at Simracers4Life server.
    (cheap plug, I know :D)

DJC

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

ISI don't yet have much documentation, and there probably won't be much more until they finalise how a long of things work. There may be changes planned for the whole getmod system still, who knows.

If leagues or public server admins can't get it to work, it's in their interest to look into how to get it working. There are threads on this topic already, not by ISI but helpful anyway.

Also, the wiki (like all wikis) is user edited. If it bothers you so much that people are having problems, why don't you create a wiki page on this topic and put together whatever useful information you can find, so that the community at large can benefit from it and you'll have more luck using getmod?

5. Lecram

Lecram Registered

:)

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Lol, way to prove me wrong! (If ever posted like this........ ;) ) But I'm happy for the TS :)

It's true though, on the SR4L server, this feature works. Also, there are practically always people there, so getting the mod, getting in and not being alone is worth something too, right? :)

7. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

yesterday I tried 5 servers in a row and never got the rfmod (and everytime I was waiting nearly 30 seconds to cancel this ``procedure``) .... this was not the first time, so my frustration went over the limit.
    For that I was very moderate with my post. It should be obvious that there are more servers out there with working GET MOD - sorry, if I didnt mentioned yours.
    I will put ISI in charge to do their homework and provide the necessary documentation to run rFactor2 without struggling, as I did with build release notes and others.

In my opinion it is NOT negligible to have this information and to find it easily.

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Yes, I understand, I really do. I am the same when things like this happen......than I speak out in a bit frustrated manner and get in trouble. So, that's what I wanted to tell you/warn you for; it was obvious you were pissed ;)
    But it's al academic now as the posts here are not that bad, right?

The SimRacers4Life (SR4L) server is not mine; I drove there. But that server does have the "get mod" working I know, very often people around and it's a nice group with different skill levels; I can highly recommend that one.

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The modder who packs up the mod has to add the GetMod URL in order for it to work. That means there has to be a properly configured hosting server for the files. That's why it doesn't work most of the time. Read this post on the subject
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ing-Components-actually-work?highlight=GetMod

As for getting the rfmod only off the server- there's some lines in the multiplyer.ini that have to changed on the sever end

HTTP Server Enabled="1" // Whether the dedicated server starts a HTTP server
    HTTP Server Max File Size="500" // Maximum file size, in MB, that the HTTP server will provide
    HTTP Server Document Root="Packages" // Document root for HTTP server. This path is relative to path stored in data.path. data.path located in root install path
    Enable Autodownloads="0" // Whether to allow clients to autodownload files that they are missing.

10. Lecram

Lecram Registered

If you have a getmod failing to download or install, you could try going to your packages folder and see if it's there, delete it and try again.

If you have your packages folder somewhere else than the default location, you could try creating a new, empty folder at the default path (user/documents/etc.), as from my experience it downloads only to that default path.

Hope this helps.

11. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

The problem is how the system seems to work, it's way too complicated. Why does the mod download URL has to be defined in the mod itself? Why not let the Server host decide where to download from?

I've hosted many game servers for friends and communities and some of them used the Source engine and this engine handles custom downloads very well:
    You had 2 options in the config to handle this. One was to enable automatic download and the other one could be used to define an external download URL like an FTP server. The system was simple and even allowed you to put the files as compressed ones on the FTP in order to safe download time and traffic. It was also very easy to change the mods because all you had to do was to upload it to the dedicated server and FTP, thats it. No fiddling around with getmod php and relying on other servers or filehosters.

If this is also working similar in rFactor 2 right now ignore the post. but then it should be better documented because right now it looks way too complicated...

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

The option for a local or external download (or none at all) should be in the vmod imo.

Too many things can go wrong but if you centralize the options into one item (vmod) at least admins can troubleshoot much faster and no need to look into different sections of rf2, just the vmod.
    And it is more clear for novice admins as they would have to go through this in creating the vmod so they wont be left wondering how/what/when.

Because that is the biggest issue imo, peeps just don't know or are not aware. rf2 should just be less complex in this.

13. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

multiplayer in rF1 only needed some small tweaks but they have walloped it in rF2.

I'm hoping they 'fix' all that is wrong but I don't think they want to admit they got it wrong and will persevere.

They made these tweaks to help jump in racing and help the players get the right mod but imo it was never that big a problem.
    trying to race online now is just essentially painful,racing online in rF1 is soooo much easier.

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Maybe you forgot the mismatch issues in rf1 Mysta, it was pretty bad and needed a constant effort to streamline within communities, let alone random visitors or public servers. And the whining and complaining about it was far worse then we see now (but rf1 was more popular as well)

I'd say its pretty even between the 2 sims atm. in rf1 there where issues after joining, in rf2 there are issues before joining. the song remains the same so we did not gain much. (unless its closed communities, then its much more easy in rf2)

15. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

community wise I never found it a problem.
    (you went to their website and downloaded what they had,simples)
    I know it was more a casual jump in problem.

I like the getmod,it just needs dewrinkling but the can't join because you only have 12 of the 13 tracks is a pain.I think they may 'fix' that issue soon though.
    My bugbear is not being able to hide passworded servers.

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I don't even know how to respond to that. did you even use rf1 online at all?

Edit: maybe better if I elaborate,
    - The constant mismatches (and not knowing half the time why they where there) is the main reason servers became passworded across the board and as a result the rf community got gridlocked.
    - public racing was very bad and annoying due to this.
    - Public servers would allow mismatches just to get on with it.
    - Despite what you claim you count not simply go to 'their website' because there was (and still is with rf2) no relevant info in the server browser.
    - Even within leagues this remained an issue because it was not always clear why a mismatch occurred.
    We ran GP79 for 12 seasons and every season there would be people with new issues not getting onto the servers, let alone new members or peeps having to re-install. even up to last year in our last rf1 season it still gave issues, and after all this time there where quite a few bug-experts and still something would made us scratch our heads.

There could be a 100 reasons for a mismatch to occur in rf1, from mods to tracks to sounds to updates and even skins and because of rf's flexibility in editing files this would triple the problems, seriously, it was pretty frigging bad and kinda killed the online experience and made community admins go berserk at times.

People seem to forget so easily...

So well done ISI trying to make it better. all we need now is a more logical process and less different steps in getting things going.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
  17. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

In a scouse accent.....calm down calm down

Of course I played online,I even ran a few leagues and we hardly ever had any mismatches.
    People came to my website,got the links and downloaded mod and/or track.
    I was also part of some other casual racing group,they had a website with links to mods/tracks and very rarely was there any mismatches there.
    I heard lots complain about mismatches but I for one very rarely encountered them.
    I don't know if it was because some mods/tracks were exe installers and others were just zipped?

website info can be got from many sources,usually from people within the server if you weren't kicked straight away.
    and server admins always had the ability to turn off mismatch errors.

There's not a whole lot wrong with the rF2 way but it does need 'tweaking' for sure.
    Once they let you join a server when you have the current mod and track combo is what a lot of people are waiting for.
    Like I said the get mod feature is great but needs a little work.

18. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

This is one between several things that makes no sense and that gives RF2 a bad look by people who are not so familiar with the software.
    Posted a few times in the past that the system is old fashioned. In 2014 you shouldnt had the need to do all the things you need to create server/download/skins,etc.

When you manage to understand everything, everything works 100%, like in our case cause we read this fórum and understand how things should work.
    Problem is when you dont "live" in rfactor world. You probably will be lost along the way trying to find how to install a car or a track, or creating more than 1 server, or adding people the possibility to download the mod you´re using.

This type of behaviour (need to change multiplayer.ini, etc) to make things is way off present days and should be revised, along with UI. In the end im sure everybody will be gratefull.

This is not just a personal opinion, this is an opinion based on what im asked when some new league member buy rf2. And most of them came from rf1. When they are new to rf1/rf2 its even worse.

PS- On your last issue RF1/RF2 online system....well, both (systems not you :) ) are/were annoying. Both gave some headaches to league managers. No one can run a server both in RF1 or RF2 without the need to read some dozen fórum threads. I suppose Denstjiro have some years of rf1 like i have and he should agree that even if today we know much everything about rf1 making it looking simple, it is not. And RF2 is even worst....in this particular matter.
    I have a car. I have a track. I put them in packages. I go ingame....where dafuq are they? Go out, read some fóruns, ask here and there, well, i need a vmod having car+track. How to create? Humm lets read a little more.

Dont take this as a bad critic, its just as things are.

RF2 is the best ever when you are inside the car....problem is all this nasty little things around :cool: