Why no F1 mod ? I don’t get it !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turbonetick, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

I'm not quite certain what you are looking for. If you are looking for an F1 car that's 1:1 with the technical regulations then you will never get it because the game can't do certain things, and I'm not certain if any modder is willing to put in that amount of work to get as close as possible.
    If you are just looking for something to look like an F1 car you have so many options to choose from. Formula Pro, McLaren MP4-13, Formula ISI, Formula Hybrid 202X, FSR, GPVWC... and likely a plethora of other mods that I don't know about.

You are free to grab the GPVWC 2022 mods and the 2023 BETA versions on their Discord server.

hpk and atomed like this.
  2. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

That’s great I will do that , thks Robin ,
    Yes I know it’s impossible to get real spec F1 , rfactor2 doesn’t have the goods to make it worked right now sadly !

3. SharD

SharD Registered

The biggest reason probably is because this game doesn't handle formula cars very well. The AI seriously struggles with keeping these cars on the track and there also isn't a way to simulate F1 style hybrid engines. F1 mods are difficult to make, too.

In essence, rFactor 2 is a GT3/LMP simulator.

4. Sergitroon

Sergitroon Registered

So what is the best option to play with F1? AMS2? AC?

5. SharD

SharD Registered

I've heard good things about AMS2.

Keep in mind, hotlapping and multiplayer races are perfectly fine with openwheel cars in rFactor 2. It's just that the AI cars keep spinning and crashing out because the rFactor2 AI can't handle singleseaters.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  6. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

AMS2 and AC.
    AMS2 is modeling some very advanced stuff on their f1 cars too. Like ERS deployment is done per gear per setting. But it should be noted, f1 is not the focus of AMS2, but they are all about top quality content and models, including older f1 and even vintage f1 cars. Their modeling is the best I've seen from any developer....and I'm an ACC guy saying this.
    Some AC leagues I've been in have had DRS mods added on and even a safety car driver.
    For actual f1, the f1 official game will capture the TV realism but the driving experience is total and utter crap.

7. Sergitroon

Sergitroon Registered

Thanks for the answers I think I'll give AMS2 a try, I also want to have a sim without mods just turn on and play

8. Brutten

Brutten Registered

9. SharD

SharD Registered

The issue with rFactor 2 is the singleseater AI.

The AI cars just keep spinning and crashing out, making it impossible to have a normal race against them. Unless you tone the difficulty all the way down (which is very boring) it is normal to see half of the field decimated by crashes and spins before the race is 5 laps old. ALL singleseater mods I've played suffer from poor AI.

10. SharD

SharD Registered

On top of that, the singleseater AI also behaves rather stupidly when they spin out. You will often see the AI reverse into the catch fence, either knocking their wheels or their rear wing off, or they drive straight into the barrier. They do this on EVERY track, so it is not an .aiw issue.

While the GT3/LMP AI is good, the singleseater AI is absolutely terrible. Hence why people don't bother with F1 mods. They just don't work due to the stupid AI.

avenger82 likes this.
  11. SharD

SharD Registered

I believe I found the culprit:

These three values in the xx_damage.ini file.

RadiusAdd=0.55 // Base radius to apply damage
    RadiusMult=0.00034 // Multiplied by collision impulse to increase radius
    RadiusMax=2.0 // Maximum radius to apply damage

I tweaked these, and the cars were no longer crashing out.

:rolleyes:

pkelly and Hazi like this.
  12. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

This truly sums up the problem , nobody gives a damn , quite sad to be honest !

13. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

It's quite understandable to not give a damn when the return for extremely hard effort for 6-12 months would be close to none. You'd have to charge 75 - 100€ for the mod to get any worth out of all those hours spent, but no one would buy it at that price.

14. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

That is for sure a good point Robin , it as to be a passion for the modder, no money to make indeed ,there should be away to monetize this , or form a team of passionate F1 modder ,
    IDK the right solution .

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The moment some modder or group of modders presents a modern F1 package and then charges money for it, EA/Codemasters will send a 'Cease & Desist' letter.

16. Brutten

Brutten Registered

What @davehenrie says is correct. Rights, licenses, etc, do not allow to use the trademark.

I opted for the logical choice, which is not to call my mod F1, I call it FI (Fórmula Internet)

Other added functions (for example the hybrid battery system) are also renamed and I call it (in Spanish) S.E.R.E: Sistema de Entrega y Recuperación de la Energía - (E.D.R.S: Energy Delivery and Recovery System in English).

With this "Chinese" method of naming things it would be more complicated to have problems.

17. Brutten

Brutten Registered

haha, sorry.
    I'm referring to Chinese falsifications that put names similar to the real brands.
    For example: Adadis = Adidas

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Reminded me of Jean-Claude Van Damme's Pumma shoes :p
    (which fell apart)