Why More Exposure for Sim Racing is A Double Edged Sword

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlazingGlory53, Jan 20, 2017.

1. BlazingGlory53

BlazingGlory53 Registered

I decided to write up this opinion piece on how exposure for Sim Racing can be a great thing, but it also needs to be done well. While this isn't directed at any one sim in particular, the FIA Formula E Visa E-Race is one of the main examples of the double edged sword of exposure.

http://simracingpaddock.com/opinion/exposure-double-edged-sword/

We are seeing so much progress in establishing Sim Racing as a legitimate form of racing, but in times like this, how we conduct ourselves, and first impressions, can mean a LOT!

What are your thoughts? :)

John, green serpent and Ernie like this.
  2. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

While I agree in general, I think that it has been a good experience to learn about.
    I just read Toro Rosso's Franz Tost is interested in doing something similar in F1.

Using rF2 despite the poor graphic quality shown, should make people wonder why they chose it over other more popular platforms.

There cannot be a second big event if there is not a first one. Despite the many organization errors, the relevance of the event was higher than I expected.

I have also started to think that if everything had gone like a charm it wouldn't have had the same impact. Media likes things that create controversy.

So let's move on and hopefully we will be able to say how nice was the second big sim racing event.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    TonyRickard and peterchen like this.
  3. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

IMHO this wasn't a make or break from a detail perspective although that is what sim racers will focus on.

My view is that from a corporate Formula E perspective it would be seen as conceptually a great success. Massive media attention, the event looked very impressive at CES, the integration of the Formula E drivers & sim racers, the closeness of the racing between them with a Formula E driver finishing second.

From a sim racers perspective watching the broadcast it was disturbing, representing sim racing in such a poor way and especially the impression it gave of rF2.

I think it was the former that matters, they hold the purse strings and there was a clear message that the details can be sorted for future events. It is the big picture that they are likely to focus on as to how a future eSeries could work and the fundamental concept was sound.

4. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Registered

I think the average Joe on the street won't remember how bad it looked this time, next year. They will just remember that this was done before and so assign a little more legitimacy to the event. It's funny how people's brains work.
    I mean, how many people sit down and watch F1 just because they did last time?

I'm certainly working hard on forgetting it ever happened!;)
    But good luck in the future....this could be great.

TonyRickard and peterchen like this.