why is this part of the forum so dead? oh yeah tires.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Kristoff Rand, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

why is this part of the forum so dead? oh yeah tires. how about some help...

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Read some books about tyres, how they behave in different situations, how they work etc. Read about different tyre models (mainly about Brush model). ISI devs can't help much if you don't know the basics.

3. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

yeah learning the basics of tires will help so much... because that will magically make me know the thicknesses of the tires I want and the make up of said tire. I swear if one more person tells me to learn about tires... this is a game. not rocket science. if you don't have anything helpful to add... don't post on my thread.

4. patryksok.

patryksok. Registered

Dont you expect someone from ISI will tell you what thickness NASCAR tire have? And rF2 is not a game anymore, this is a simulation and if you want work with new tire model you MUST have basic knowledge about materials and how tires are build in reality. If you are too lazy to learn dont create tires for rF2.

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

and my unhelpful repeating robot shows up... of course. maybe you should just put that in a txt file so you don't have to retype the same thing over and over on each of my posts. how about this... stay away from my posts troll.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Considering I'm getting reports on both of you, why don't you both lighten up? :)

Kristoff, unfortunately NASCAR only publishes their regulation books internally. It allows them to change them on the fly. The info available to the public is also usually inaccurate. Most tire manufacturers require you to sign an NDA or at least promise not to release any info whatsoever, and F1 teams even have to sign an NDA to not release info. What you possibly need to do is find a small team which wants to work with you, and get their help. That's what we often do. Here's the info NASCAR has on it's Web site, but the info is lacking and the PSI is laughably inaccurate. http://www.nascar.com/news/features/tires/index.html

7. 88mphTim

Another thing you could do is purchase some tires from eBay yourself. Obviously you're not going to be able to do much testing if you can't access a test center, but your measurements would be accurate. There's a few tires on eBay as I type for under $200. Another issue with NASCAR though is that they have many different tires and compounds each season. http://www.ebay.com/sch/racingtires/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

8. patryksok.

patryksok. Registered

Tim, I told him that he should buy real tire long time ago and he dont want to listen :(

9. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

well no one has said anything to me or complained to me... and all I've done is try to be helpful in every post I've made. sure I complain about people who bitch and whine. but hey they deserve it. I'm sure the report on me comes from the troll. I don't know why I should have to listen to 8 posts on my own thread by the same guy saying the same thing over and over and not being very helpful. perhaps a block individual member would be nice. forward the body of the complaints to me and I'll take them into consideration, but can't fix what I don't know about.

frankly I'm not interested in exact tire properties or learning about what ply materials they use on each track or how thick anything is. I'm more interested in how to get a simple working example in the game and then being able to work on how it feels and reacts afterwards, because while we'll never have the tire info we truly want from the manufacturer, what we do have is people willing to test and make changes for endless hours until they have something that feels reasonably close. and that's all anyone can ask for right? right now in our rF1 mod we have 18 different .tbc files.

I appreciate those links to ebay... I'll check into buying one of them. although they are each about 8 years old and quite a bit out of date. they should be close enough although they are used and will not be full thickness. Goodyear doesn't allow tires to get off track now, they're tracked with RFIDs. and returned to Goodyear after the race.

I got a call back from Goodyear and I'll be catching up with them at the beginning of the week. they seem interested.

10. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

11. Domi

Domi Registered

This sub-forum is so funny ... in the tracks sub-forum I see plenty of help, from ISI staff also, and here what you get is a "buy a book and learn how tires are" or "contact a small team that wants to work with you". It's like if Luc replies in the track sub-forum "learn to use 3ds max", but instead of this he tries to help as much as he can.

Even if you buy a tire or you are a tire master that knows how tires are constructed, you still need to know more things (like the values in the realtime tag).

12. patryksok.

patryksok. Registered

Domi first you must create tire geometry and nods. For me with my knowledge that would be ~month to two moths of building only tire geometry + lockup data. After that I will be worried about RealTime section :) For track building you dont need to know how track is build what materials are in asphalt etc, for tire creation you must. We want as real as I could be tire model, the state of art in sims, so if you want do mods you must have some really basic engineering knowledge. I can tell you what to put in QuasiStaticAnalysis section, how build as much accurate outside geometry with graphical 3d model of the tire as you can, but for plies, inner tire thickness, bulk and tread you need hi-res photo to read sidewall info or some info from tire manufactuer or real tire or parts of this tire. I dont see other way to build good tire for rF2(ISI probably confirm that). If you arent interested in learning new stuff so dont do bad cars for rF2. If you dont have engineering basics in physics and materials you will never dont understand how tire should behave.

13. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

"add to ignore list"... is awesome sauce.

thanks for the backup Domi.

14. 88mphTim

Most companies make us encrypt or otherwise protect data they give us, which is why you don't see much sharing going on. I hope you find a way to get what you need.

15. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

We are all in the same boat. Best thing to do is to keep trying. No one is going to give a magic formula. It's going to be hard and frustrating, and I think the best thing we can do is to pool all our findings/resources/techniques so in future it is easier for everyone.

Best thing is that when all is done, we can have an awesome realistic tyre model.

16. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

speaking of sharing D1Racer, Tim... I was hoping we could get the ability to upload other types of files here. like my tire .gmt or .dwg or max files.