Why is single seat cars steering unstable in rfactor2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gringhos, Oct 11, 2013.

1. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

the old F1 cars are extremely difficult to drive on any game ... i have tried the old F1 cars on rFactor2 ... couldn't drive them at all :) I did notice some wandering around on the road going down straights ... I have no frame of reference to know if it is realistic, however. Main problem for me is turning in them tho :) Howstons are great, in contrast - really like the G6 - MKIII B with rear wing and fat tires - that thing is LOADS of fun to drive - especially at Brianza if you haven't tried.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

This can be caused by visual settings.

Try adjusting values for world movement, head movement, pitch, yaw, roll, etc etc. Not sure which files/folders you need to get into to find these lines (there are some in-game too, but much more customization is possible by editing the files). This can have a MASSIVE effect on the overall driving perception, to you, that the car gives. How the weight shifts around, the grip, everything, can be perceived very differently due to visual settings.

I can change files for RFactor 1 cars to feel extremely "rolly" and as you say boat-like, or you can change it to feel very quick and stiff, it's all the same physics though and is just your mind playing tricks on you.

3. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Spinelli, thanks, but thats not it. I`m very picky about this stuff, and have figured out optimum visual settings years ago. They do not include head movement or exaggerated yaw. I like my "eyes" in game to move almost exactly like car body and no more. When I describe Spark is "rolling" and "pitching" thats its body in relation to wheels.

4. speed1

speed1 Banned

My conclusion after further testing with the G27 and G4 ( ffb multi 0.70/ 490° / 16° ) on the unstable steering and floating is, that I can agree with this - it is the overall balance that is important, the visual, physics, feeling and the perception of the whole. However, it may be not a setting thing by the user to get there. There should be a stable base in the standard for appropriate steering wheels, at least in combination with the vehicle.

The goal first and foremost was to establish the connection to the physics and reduce the feeble area in the steering. It is not possible to keep all the subtleties, but it is possible to raise the main forces out and to bring into balance with the movement, at least to improve. The clipping gets less attention here, not the sense of the test. It also makes no sense to pay attention to clipping and to neglect the actual important main forces. Then I rather eliminate the finer points you also not feel in the real car if it is the only one way to create a positive connection.

The setup i end up with underscored the individual forces and their strength, as a result that a certain value was used for the filter ( 15 ) and the General strength ( 115% ) in the logitech profiler was increased, the details are reduced but the Steering and driving stability is improved by eliminating the subtleties of the ffb and increasing biasing voltage ( or whatever it does ) by the general strength of the logitech profiler. However, this information from the tires are delivered and processed by the ffb should ideally not be perceived like this by the user. Honestly if I wouldn't deal with it and wasn't somewhat familiar with the matter, would I try it not a second time.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
  5. BlaringFiddle5

i had an old 70's pickup truck when i was 16 or 17 (it wasn't that old when i was 16 or 17 :) )... It had very loose steering as I recall ... constant steering adjustments required to keep it going straight down the road - is it something like that that you are talking about?

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes but the difference is your truck might have had a backlash or a clearance in any part generating a dead zone, is why the steering required constant corrections. This is a bit diff, the steering position input and output is still connected without a deadzone while the resistance is to low around the start position.

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

If I can drive these things anybody can. This historic content is epic!!

8. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

rf2 is terrible with many cars on my G27, but like the OP, all my other sims are fine, with the new GSC 2013 having the best FFB of any sim now{G27}

9. BlaringFiddle5

i don't agree that rfactor 2 is terrible. some cars are hard to drive , but maybe they are hard to drive IRL as well...

10. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

wouldnt say rfactor 2 is terrible at all as apposed to any other game, its just different, remember its unfiltered force feedback, the g25/27 was made in a time when every racing game had filtered and canned effects, we cant surely say rfactor 2 is terrible because we are using outdated hardware.

11. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

You're agreeing with me...ie, rf2 is terrible for G27.
    U may have noticed I mentioned G27 twice in my criticism.

12. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

how can i be agreeing with you when i said that i wouldnt say it was terrible lol, granted its not going to feel like it would with say a clubsport or thrustmaster but it still feels good when you get it set to settings your happy with, i use even more outdated hardware than you, ive got a g25 yet it feels good to me and i can drive any car ive tried fairly easily, have you tried messing with more than the ingame settings? i.e plr file and controller, theres a multitude of settings will affect how it feels to you and alot of them are visual settings believe it or not.

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Though at times I would have to agree with that statement, the OP did mention that he has driven race cars in RL and they feel rock solid going down the straights as opposed to the wandering feeling he gets with rF2. My best guess would be the setup, as most drivers are put on the track in a car that is fairly close to perfect on the setup, but the cars here might not be nearly as close.

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

There is no one car out there which feels so or wanders/floats due to the steering if it's alright. If anything, it's the geometry but not in the Steering and setup itself, unless one uses totally crazy and unreal settings.
    Also maximum steering angle shall not cause this instability on the straight but it increases it. Imho there is definitely something fishy and whatever it is, it is not normal for a non-defective car, at least with the G27. Actually i haven't try it with the T500RS.

This is an undesirable effect and would be declared as defective in real and every mechanic or an engineer would find the reason to turn it off.

In some cases I wonder how it can be the professionals such as ISI with a highly complex product which vehicle dynamics quite well simulates in such simple things can fail. I mean, it's unimaginable for me how to program all of these complex simulations but I know cars and unfortunately they do not always feel like cars or even behave like one in some situation. Just imagine someone uses it for the first time and is not familiar with the procedure. This product would considered unusable for this person. If the reason is not proper control, feedback or even no match ( real car driving ) in any way with the usual, plays no role. Important is only the first impression and this is simply not the ideal in same cases.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2013
  15. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

ISI don't care about cheapie wheels, if they did, they wouldn't have pumped the full FFB signal into them, as such, along with the overall mediocre package, they're guaranteeing modest sales.

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

You might be right, seen in the general interest of the responsible, in this thread and many others provided. According to the principle what not everyone notices don't need to be noted. No wonder when people lose interest.

17. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I wouldn't say that. One can't make an FFB that works out of the box with all wheels and provide high fidelty at the same time. Every wheel has different construction and FFB abilities so you either calm your FFB down or you expect users to configure their own simulator for their own hardware.

Filtering is very important so everyone should adjust it individually. My G25 suffers with low filtering, but above some level it's fine and FFB works pretty good.

So perhaps in the end, it's not ISI who doesn't care about cheaper wheels, but it's the people who don't care to read about various configuration parameters of their simulator. It's not a console game, where fidelity can be sacrificed for the sake of convenience. Ask, read, search and configure it properly for your steering wheel.

18. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Cool response bro, but I've been sim racing since 2009 and RF2 is the worst offender on my G27.

Reiza actually made the FFB better and heavier in their recent 2013 update.....in fact GSC has the best FFB ever.

19. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Cool story bro, but I've been simracing since 2007 and RF2 is the best for my G25.

K Szczech has a point. Try to change sth with your wheel cause I've tried handful of sims and in fact rF2 has the best FFB ever.

20. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

The FFB on the 3.5 and F2 is atrociously loose, so that may be the problem on other cars as well. I'm trying to setup the FFB correctly, but I can't blame you for thinking it's crap by default. The older Fs are a bit better, though, as is the ISF3 and rFF1.