Why is my game so laggy when framerates are high?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TMoney, Apr 13, 2014.

1. TMoney

TMoney Registered

This happened with builds after 382. Including the short lived 4XX and latest 590. My framerates are always above 60 but the game feels very laggy, mostly when racing with other cars on track. It sort of comes and goes and I really can't get to the bottom of it. Did a fresh install, messed around with compatibility/Admin settings but nothing has helped. Am I alone here or are others experiencing the same thing? I recall in the older builds if I set compatibility for Win7 the game would run but feel very laggy, similar to what's happening now. Should this be set to anything specific? I'm on Win8 64 bit. Thanks.

2. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Limit your max FPS to your maximum refresh rate that your monitor has and do everything to keep it there by tweaking settings to allow your system to work in that zone at all times. Will help. I guarantee that.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Do any other sims exhibited lower frame mate ? I assume that is not the case ............I have nothing. :) lopl

I have had same system since before Builds you mention, noticed no performance drop, lagginess, stutter or anything else.

However I don't expect to be able to load up heavy tracks with x time of day and big fields either, rF2 can make my PC cry ( I can hear it ....... lopl )

So I free settings up as much as I need to get higher fps with no vsync, not over-stress it trying to get my sim to look like some screenshot. hehehe

With High fps I do not see screen tearing either, it is a indistinguishable level to my eyes and I constantly scour the horizons, car dash, buildings and cars in front.....I see nadda.

pCARS I can make screen tearing by just driving pitroads. lol

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Does he mean noticeable input lag?

5. TMoney

TMoney Registered

No I mean stuttering, or what feels like low framerate but Afterburner tells me I'm maintaining 60 FPS or more. I don't have issue like this in any other game, and it happened as I stated after build 382.

I'll try limiting max framerate but I don't think that's the issue.

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I'm assuming you have your graphics maxed out? It might be one setting that could be causing this especially if you're having this issue on all tracks. Maybe play with one setting at a time to see. Just throwing ideas out there.

7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Assuming you are nvidia have you tried max pre-rendered frames set to 1?

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Framerate in rF2 varies a lot track to track at least 50% for me with single car.

So test and set quality levels using the worst fps track you run, stress lighting and maximum cars you want to be able to run.

Then most likely down grade your expectations and reduce a few settings if you do not want to be fiddling all the time.

Even though I can run HDR fine I have always preferred the "drawn look" in my sims , never liked ENB myself, ..........that solves 1/2 my fps drama in a single hit. lopl :)

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Some people say disabling the launcher helps, but I don't yet understand why it would unless their Windows installation is allowing something else to steal focus. You could try running window mode if fullscreen, or fullscreen if normally windowed.

10. Axe

Axe Registered

I can confirm switching form fullscreen to windowed helped me in the similar situation - despite high FPS game very laggy, stopping for fractions of seconds. but it was before b382 and I am on WIN7 64bit.

11. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Once I had this issue and it was that I had the video card profiler on and .net framework x86 installed on a x64 system. Once I uninstalled the x86 the stuttering left

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

12. regged

regged Registered

I had a very similar issue and couldn't understand it, it just felt odd and unsatisfying, CTRL-F showed 80-90 FPS. As suggested in another post I changed the "Max Framerate" in the player.plr file to ="60.00000" and the sync mode to "video" in the Launcher under Configure Sim and it has transformed it for me, the frame rate is silky smooth and it feels like a diferent game. All my nvidia settings are default values, I have a Core i5 750 and GTX670 and the driver is version 335.23 - running at 2560x1440 - no Anti Aliasing is configured.

CTRL-F now shows a solid 60, no tearing and it now feels so much better.

13. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Sometimes I feel the same; I always have fps over 90-100, but thereĀ“re times in which I see the game running like with 40 fps more or less.

14. 88mphTim

In that situation, it can only be due to the detail being shown, whether that is a more detailed track, or perhaps more opponents. The stuttering (what this thread was about) would be a different issue usually.

15. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

ive actually been noticing this myself, ive been recently practising malaysia (isi) and always above 60 fps, most times even above 70-80fps but it didnt look it, felt like i was getting more like 40fps with visible stuttering and just general jumpiness, ive forced on vsync and triple buffer in catalyst and also changed max fps to 60 in the plr and its eliminated the stutter/jump but probably at the cost of input lag.

16. TMoney

TMoney Registered

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I ended up playing around with a few things, including resetting my nvidia profile and trying some different settings through inspector.

To my surprise, capping the framerate to 60 in the plr made a big difference! I admit I didn't think this would be so effective considering my FPS was usually around 60 already give or take but it wasn't like there was drastic changes, at least that I saw. I didn't enable vsync yet so I did notice some tearing, but this proves to be very effective for overall smoothness. Strange how I didn't have this issue with build 382 and before, and didn't need to regulate my FPS. With capping max frames, do you guys recommend enabling vsync, and if so what's the best way for rF2? I know many people shy away from vsync with racing sims due to the [alleged] increased input lag. I've used it with my old SLI setup and didn't notice any negative effects.

Anyhow, thanks again and I'll continue testing out some different things but glad to see we're back on track. :)

17. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

This is my beef with this game. Only other game I noticed similar issues was FSX whereby there are so many guides in how to tweak settings via.ini files etc. I've spent countless hours tweaking RF2 to a level that I'm happy initially thinking that my laptop was not capable that I uninstalled after a month of purchasing the game only to return circa 6 months later.

Whilst this forum is invaluable for advice I'm somewhat let down by ISI for outside beta being required to tinker with ini files that are beyond the remit of the average PC user that they are potentially losing positive feedback for what is a great product when it's setup correctly.

Okay everyone's hardware differ, however a GUI interface would not go amiss e.g. capping fps/lowering mirror settings etc. Or even better migrate onto dx11 haha

18. 88mphTim

I don't tweak a single file or setting. 100% default. It's not us advising you to do that. :)

19. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

yeah but tim it helps when isi make a game for the masses and not just isi employees, all i ever see from you really is that it runs fine for you and that the developers couldnt produce the problems the community has, im sorry but because it works at default for 10 guys doesnt mean it works good for the rest, you guys really need to start listening to whats been said and reply in a manner that shows support, saying you dont change anything is not helpfull in the slightest when half the people who bought that game need to change countless settings in the plr to get it playable.

to be totally honest im starting to get annoyed by the developement, bug after bug found or introduced and it feels like the developers havent listened to anyone, i havent had anywhere near the amount of problems other people have had but its slowing down the rate at which people take up the game, its making it very hard to use it as the next league game because your never sure what the hells going to happen in the next build, fingers need to be pulled out asses i think.

sorry tim not having a go at you just a rant about the general mood im in regards rf2, things are starting to get annoying and id give anything for it to be diffrent.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

try turning off multiview (reduce fov for it to look good whilst multiview off) or better still don't use your two outer monitors

I have x3 screens but am using rf2 in single screen mode, my PC is eating rf2 alive because of this ( 150 to 250fps & that's in 3d vision) with super high fps & it's transformed
    the experience

performance problems with rf2 are totally a thing of the past

there's a lot more complexities going on in rf2 when comparing to other sim titles, although I love triple screen going to single screen mode for rf2 is a small price to pay for the large return

most problems are down to users pushing their pc's to hard & trying to compare rf2 to other titles
    ( mistakes I've made in the past) when it's nothing like other titles

the lag could be caused by some kind of bottleneck in your PC, lower demands
    (such as single screen mode) should sort it

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014