Why is Internet account needed for LAN?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MystaMagoo, Dec 15, 2011.

1. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

As the title says,why?

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

has been answered already.

3. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Maybe is more reasons, but mainly because of piracy.

4. Arthur.Hermont

Arthur.Hermont Registered

And I tend to agree with them.

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It may seem that you don't need an online account just for LAN play, but it's not that simple.

If people would be able to play via LAN without online account, then they would be able to play via internet whis way, by means of virtual networks. So if ISI would provide LAN without online account requirement, then they would be basically providing a workaround for their own online system.

6. Holzvergaser

Holzvergaser Registered

hi everyone, my first post here.

i dont see why this is a problem. after all you can not join a internet game when you are in VPN yourself. you can only join other people on hamachi if they are on hamachi OR join people on leaf if you have leaf as VPN solution. and in this case you are not in the regular "internet" you are in a VPN although it uses the same infrastructure as internet does.

whats in a VPN(virtual private network) stays in a VPN. so, lan players can not mix with internet player, no matter what.
    correct me if the VPN clients did evolve and allow conntections to the internet out of your VPN, and even if they did it would not matter as you can not join a internet game anyways as you would have no online account so you cant join servers that are not on VPN themselfs.

7. Dahie

Dahie Registered

Using the VPN you would basically extend the LAN via a secure channel over the internet. This is also what K Szczech meant by saying you can play play via the internet this way. You could workaround the official matchmaker and still enjoy worldwide multiplayer games.

Personally I don't like that LAN modes have been removed in games nowadays. Especially for families this is really uncomfortable and unreasonable expensive. Maybe family licenses are something to be considered. Not just in rFactor, but in general.

8. maatriks

maatriks Registered

Of course it makes LAN-playing more troublesome than it used to be, but it is the only way to stop unfair players (those who choose not to pay for the game) from enjoying the game we all will buy.

And you can connect to internet EVERYWHERE, share internet with mobile phone, if needed.

9. ethone

ethone Registered

So... you're introducing measures that hurt the paying customers in what they can do with what they payed for so that non-paying customers can't... play over LAN anymore?

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It doesn't stop anyone playing over LAN. You just need to have a basic net connection now - it's a small price to pay when you think about it.

If you really can't manage it, play rF1 or something else.

11. doggod

doggod Registered

What happens at the end of the year subscription period (that you get when you buy the game),
    is lan functionality disabled if you dont resubscribe ?

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Playing online requires an online account, and LAN is really online (not the game data, but as part of the connection process), so if you buy the game and don't pay for online access after a year, no, you can't play on a LAN. Only single player, offline.

13. Holzvergaser

Holzvergaser Registered

dont get me wrong, i got fix internet connection and would have no problem with what is planed but its about the principle.

LAN is local area network and the name implies that you play "offline", now you suddenly need "just" an online connection and PAY for an online account to play offline, i mean wtf? that doesnt sound right to me at all.

14. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Yes, that's true and I would also like to be able to race over LAN without need of logging to online accout, but it looks like due to how account management has been made in rF 2, it just won't be possible.

15. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

The purpose of my question is about LAN parties.

The whole point of LAN parties is to get together to enjoy each others company etc,without the need for internet.
    Not everywhere has internet available.

I also have friends round for LAN racing but is that now under threat because of the 'need' for internet account.

We don't 'need' internet account to be able to play online if we know the ip etc so why not able to do this for LAN?

16. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I think you actually DO need an account if you know the IP. As for the LAN, as has been stated numberous times now, it would be an work-around for the online account for players that race on the internet, if they set up a virtual network. Probably wouldn't work for pulbic servers, but I think lots of leagues would solve it this way for their racing.

Besides, I think you should be happy that LAN is included after all, because at first this wasn't even going to happen. They only included it cause they found a way that you need an online account, so that online users couldn't race online for free at a virtual lan.....

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

@MystaMagoo
    I think it has been answered in this thread: because independent lan connection possibility would brake whole point of MatchMaking as designed for rF2. In other words, using VPN like hamachi no one will be depended on MM any more.

I understand your concerns, we wrote about lan parties in other thread. But I'm afraid there is no way out.

18. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Yeah, hail to ISI, for beeing so kind and generous to keep LAN functionality... and now should come someone from ISI and ask:

;)

19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

No it's not about principle - it's about technology.

If we're talking about principles - playing over internet requires online account and that's ok - not against any principle, right?
    But what happens if you can play over LAN without online account? Well, basically people could use available technology (VPN) to bypass the requirement of online account for internet play. Now who would be breaking the principle in this case?
    Do you seriously think people would care about paying $12 for their account if they find announcement somewhere on the internet saying "Come join us - online rFactor 2 for FREE!". People wouldn't bother checking if it's legal and fair - as long as someone offers it for free they would take it without questions.

There's no way to check if connection is actually made over LAN or is is a virtual network spanning entire world, so there's no technical way for ISI to provide LAN play without online account without compromising their own system.

It's as simple as that.

And one more thing about principles - they made it, they sell it - on whatever conditions they choose to. And the conditions are good if you ask me. Not perfect but it wasn't possible, for strictly technical reasons, to make it perfect for everyone.

And the price is good :)

20. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Lol, the video made me laugh :) About what I said, maybe I don't come across right around this forum, since you can't see my emotions, and english isn't my native language. I just hope you see my point ;)