Why does FastSync fix rf2 stutters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LokiD, Sep 18, 2017.

1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Been testing for days using NOLA as the test track (as that stutters the most at ultra) with the radical. With VSYNC i get fps ranging from 70-120 (144hz display) and no tearing but some really awful stuttering, like coming out of pits and the tight left right (t3/4). Ive tried turning down shadows and PP to none, and although the stutters aren't as horrific, by large they're still affecting the driving. So sync off, is pretty much the same thing apart from slight tearing that is helped by the 144z refresh rate.

So then i turn on Nvidia Fast sync, and voila Nola is smooth as using RF2 maxed out gfx. around 80-140 fps. Theres a bit of frame pacing but compared to the stuttering with the above, its hardly noticeable.

My question is why does fast sync stop rf2 stuttering, even when sync off doesnt?!

Side note: i read a lot about fast sync, and a lot of people have been saying that its only good with x3 rate of the monitor in FPS. Theres also a lot of people that seen smoothness and increase in fps below the rate of the display. .... i have too. It helped fix the ghost recon sync issue, its smoother in prey, its fixed rf2 stutters. All these titles accept Ams, i dont get over 144hz in fps but it works a treat!!. Only thing i see it not working in is PES 2018 where the game has a locked FPS, then fast sync is conflicting with it and is crap basically.!

So in my opinion its definitely better than vsync even with the frame pacing especially in race sims, as lets face it all sync suffers from frame pacing/lag/slowdown, unless you keeping the exact rate of your monitor constantly. Then theres the minimal input lag with fast sync. Its a win win on a 144z benq.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I'm not sure if you understand the differences and if in doubt, I like to go to the direct source - in this case nvidia's 18min presentation on fast sync. have a watch and see if it explains to you why fast sync is working well for you:

key points - it's a buffer based tech, it's de-coupled from the rendering and it's aim is to deliver vsync clarity, without the latency of vsync.
    But as I've said in the other threads - you need the performance grunt to make it work well - which clearly you do.
    If you want more info I'd suggest digging into Nvidia's support forums and looking for a good tech paper on it.

there's a couple of notes and diagrams in this thread too, which is referenced in the presentation notes:
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...vidias-fast-sync-introduced-with-pascal-gpus/

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    SPASKIS and Emery like this.
  3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I can't get fast sync to work,or any sync for that matter.
    I turn fast sync on in nvidia cp,and I've set sync to both gpu and video in game,but still my fps runs unlimited,can anyone point a dip shit in the right direction

4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

our off syncing game. Also it runs uncapped. i have noticed on cars sync on is smoother than fast (micro stuttering) As idont really get noticeable input lag i can use vsync.

Its a suck it and see thing for me some game are smoother some aren't.

5. zzigg

zzigg Registered

in nvidia=g-sync
    in game=vsync software
    max fps=59
    this Works well for me
    i hope this helps

6. Emery

Emery Registered

Just use fast sync in nVidia control panel, no need for in-game gpu sync or Vsync when you use it because that is redundant :rolleyes:. Yes, fps will run unlimited doing this, so if you want to have an fps limiter, set Max Framerate in player.json.

P.S. Possibly not the right thing to do if you're using VR.

7. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

For me the solution always was turn vsync off and limit fps to 123.

Obvious you need to watch the fps to not get lower than 60, the more closer to 123 you can keep, the better will be