Why continue with this frustrating packaging method?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kmw, Jun 7, 2014.

1. kmw

kmw Registered

Some of what I see in rF2looks very promising, but I still feel very disillusioned by this constant need to unpack, edit and re-pack every little thing.

It really puts me off using this game. I keep visiting back to see how things are progressing, and I recently downloaded the DW12 car and Indy circuit. They look good, but I do not believe it should take as much effort as it does to simply change some driver names and talent files.

Something needs to be done about this. I am very capable when it comes to editing rfm, gdb, hdv, ini and all the rest in rF1, but this is a step too far.
    last year, I learned how to do some basic packing and made my own driver and talent files for the Clio cup cars. One year on, I have to re-learn the process if I want to do the same thing.

Ridiculous. :(

2. ViSo

ViSo Registered

Dont like it? there are more games to play and mod :)

Is one of the most easier thing that rF2 have, less compatibility problems, easier for final user.

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Sometimes you have to learn new things, you know?
    If you are too old for learning - well then: good night!

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Better control over installed mods was a much requested feature from rF1, so that's why we have packaging. It's an absolute improvement for the average user, who simply installs a mod and plays. If you want to test editing hdv etc, you can download the SDK (dev mode), it supports reading those files directly without packaging.

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You can make your own UNOFFICIAL patches to mods, that can be installed and uninstalled non-destructively. You can edit whatever files you want and play them. Packaging is just a way of distributing so everyone can DOWNLOAD, click INSTALL and hey presto... a mod is installed! :D

6. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

It would be nice to make "virtual-drivers" work in multi-player.

The virtual driver could be downloaded like a custom skin. :cool:
    You as a league organizer don't have to do anything just setup the server with the cars/tracks you want.
    Teams/drivers could enter the server with there car/skin and team name. And you don't have to update/package anything if a new team signs up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2014
  7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I loved it from day one, something just clicked with me, for years
    and years I wondered if there was a better way then mismatches.

Admit it most of you hated it...........do I have to put a list of names of people that signed "that" petition.

lopl

8. willz

willz Registered

i have all isi`s latest cars tracks etc, but still can only join something like 5 % of mp games, this is very sad, the day indy 500 and the dw12 came out i still had to get mod online to join, think it was called mod2, now thats got to be a joke

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Not sad, you just don't understand the system yet.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't get what you mean.

Just looking now is 20 odd rooms 50% are password for a start

Every other room displayed MOD for me ?

If I click them all I will get a mod or maybe it will not install them and give me a list of what I need down to the exact versions.

lol ? How good is that ?

Whether you have the content is no different a proposition to any other sim the way I see it.

If you want to join "any" room in any sim you must have "all" 3rd party content.

No use saying ..........." but with 9 tracks I can't join a room has 10 "

What if the room you want to join in any sim has that track only ? You still going to have to download it ! ? lol

Spend one night downloading all content you will have most all content for most mod combinations, alot more then 10% ( allow for 50% passworded rooms p ) I can assure you.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I sometimes feel like rF2 is like marmite :D

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I bet 1/2 the rooms he tried to join were in Race.......... ergo you get no connection.

5% open rooms is just complete bollocks.

I not forgetting anything I know who said what about what back then don't you worry. lopl

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

After watching it here is a quote .............lol

and what would you do for a league mod package ........ffs ??

1. Uninstall delete old vmod and rfmod, 1 click install new rfmod
    2. vmod 1 click download and install.

Make a new mod for edited cars ........... 30 seconds.

These peeps should look at it from the "other" perspective not just deny it exists !

How do you get rid of your mod that has been updated doing copy and paste ??? .....just overwrite and hope or manually delete the wrong folders p ?

lmao oh dear p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It isn't that bad with the right tools. Check out these two tools:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/18947-MAS-file-extractor-rfcmp-Installer
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19023-Component-Builder

To edit a component you just go into the Installed folder and find what you want to edit. Right ctrl+click on all the MAS files, then right click and select Extract. This will create a subfolder for each mas file. Then go into the folders and find the files you want to change. Once you are done editing, open open up each mas file that you want to update and then drag the new files into it it and save. At this point we haven't done anything all that much different from rF1. The final step is repackaging the mod and it is actually the easiest part. To repack simply double click on the MFT file which will open it up in my Component Builder tool. From there you can edit all the details about the mod such as the name, date, descriptions, version number, ect. After you incitement the version or change the name, just hit the package button. It will then spit out a new rfcmp file which you can then install.

If you plan to do extensive work on a mod I would suggest getting the car/track into DevMode. DevMode has the same file structure as rF1 (GameData = ModDev). You do all your trial and error, editing HDV files ect without having to repack every time. Once you are ready to release it you just build the mas files and then package it up. The process is almost identical to rF1 except for the packaging part. Rather than packing up a zip file you package up an rfcmp.

It has a learning curve just like everything related to computers. We all spent the time to learn all the old gMotor games. We learned all the values in the HDV files. This is just a progression. It really isn't bad once you get the hang of it. Hell you can even batch automate the process from loose files, to MAS files and then into the rfcmp file. Even the GetMod registration can be scripted. A build can be as simple as double clicking on one batch file.

15. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I have a lot of mods, but I have the same issue. Most servers will use either a custom version of a mod or track or will have an outdated version on the server. I rarely do any pubby racing to begin with but sometimes I'll meet up with a friend and we'll try and find a pubby to race on. Usually we find something but only after a LONG time of trying unsuccessfully on many servers. This is not a prob with rF2 (mostly) but with any moddable game.

rFactor2 however does have an issue in that if there are 5 tracks in the rfmod and you don't have just one of them installed (even though it is not the active track) you can't join. that is a huge issue and one only ISI can fix- but has failed to fix despite 2+ years of constant complaints from the community and constant pleading for it. This alone will keep a lot of people in the rF2 ecosystem. As it is now, pubby racing is so difficult and awful in rF2, a lot people are going elsewhere (AC) for pubby racing.

But ISI are not listening to this point.

16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

People are going to assetto for completely different reasons than the rfmod system. Heck the booking system in ac is the dumbest online system I've ever seen and people are still drooling over it. The fact that people are setting up their vmods with a crap tonne of tracks isn't ISI's fault.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

People like AC I think are more purists types. ;) Nothing wrong with that btw.......... :)

If that is what turns you on I think it is the best title.

18. melg

melg Registered

So if you are one track short it only takes 5 minutes to download, transfer to package file, instal in mod manager and then you are ready to race. What is the problem?

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What happens in any sim if you do not have one of the 5 tracks ?

You can't join any sim ?

How many mods does the average public onliner use ? a bare handful I bet

If not they must be going from Race crashing out and rejoining a new room.

I find it laughable this should be such a drama. ?

I have 700 tracks archived for GTR2 , 500 GTL 1,000 rF2 700 GPL ........................ I still cant join every room. ?

I see it as freedom of choice to set your rooms how you like.
    If it is not popular you will get no one in.

But as soon as 5 drivers get the mod more and more will make the effort, it is not rocket science. :)

I am really sick of hearing this from people that have run servers for 2 years

OH PLEASE ! lol ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Mods are bliss.

For mine the worst thing about rooms is the voting system.

It does not change the vote ratio to allow for people whom have left the session.

People ask " vote !! one more !! pleaseee !!! " ............like 5 times hehehe ...........they do not realize there is no one left to vote..............lol

That is why I always watch leavers numbers and keep a running total in my head.

Voting, whether I am leading, crashed out or just never started a race I most always vote last just to see if the numbers are there......

But ............as soon as I see incident I will always chat ....... " VOTE" and keep lapping.