Which FPS is relevant.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bwana, Jul 13, 2017.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

running DX 11 , press cntrl F and get the 3 FPS values .. which is the relevent value , for instance running radicals at Oulton l get 165/65/520 . 26 AI . Pp high . Almost everything Else max or high except reflections and shadows medium . The 520 max must be garage ??

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

The first one is average fps, but averaged only for the past second. Average has uses, but the one that's most important is minimum, as that indicates whether you're dropping below the monitor's refresh rate or not. Occasionally minimum has to be ignored because you can get a spurious value when initiating ctrl-F. Maximum, the last, is pretty much irrelevant.

3. bwana

bwana Registered

Thanks emery, so if the 1st value fluctuates little and sits around 120/160 throughout a session then my system is running well for my 144hz . I've seen that the human eye can't see FPS faster than 55/60 but the faster the FPS the smoother the visuals .. in other words l can expect that my system is pretty much optimum ? For its specs ? Based on updating value per second . Minimum can be leaving garage and that value remains low and pretty much unchanged during a session on track ..just trying to get my head around it

4. Emery

Emery Registered

Yes, you're running well.

Because of the way the eye works, we can perceive things up to around 90 fps in videogames and then it becomes too fast, with the population having a few rare people who can discern up to 120 fps. 60 fps for movies is fine because the camera exposure creates proper motion blur in each frame, but not video games. You'll notice this most when going around a sharp hairpin in game, as the background will not flow smoothly. Bumping monitor refresh from 60 Hz to even 72 Hz increases smoothness, but 90 Hz is where it becomes really fluid.

bwana likes this.
  5. kimbo

kimbo Registered

thanks for your very detailed explanation Emery, my monitor is a 60 hz one, i limited RF2 to 71 hz, it is wrong in your opinion?

6. Emery

Emery Registered

kimbo - not wrong to limit the frame rate, though possibly not optimal at 71.

Cap of 83 is for non-Sync configs for 60 Hz refresh. Theory is that it is a prime number not near the half-frame rate (30-60-90-120), so screen tears will be nearly imperceptible since they won't repeat in the same location of successive frames. Some games limit fps one frame shy of the limit being set, so those games get a cap of 84.

Cap of 83 in rF2 at 60 Hz has worked well for me in non-Sync config. I've also liked GPU sync on the newer nVidia cards regardless of cap number, but there's definitely a slight lag penalty.

bwana and kimbo like this.
  7. kimbo

kimbo Registered

Thank you very much Emery for your reply! i try with 83.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017