Where might a performance gain come from?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Ricknau, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

At 5040x1050 res I can get FPS rates of roughly 35 (BOG) to 45-65 by mid lap (with brief periods of higher rates) with 15 1960s F1 AI cars present and visible. But this is with some key FPS crushers turned off. Frankly, considering the load of runnuing at a res of 5040x1050, that kind of performance seems amazing to me. When I run on one screen the performance is phenomenal. So I tip my hat to the amazing and very smart physics and graphics programmers that can make this magic happpen. They have it down for most players, i.e., single screen players with a decent system. But none the less I would like to turn on all the candy offered.

The real FPS crushers for me are: Multiview, Shadows and Environmental Reflections. Multiview whacks my FPS down by 40-50%. Max Shadows does about the same. Environmental Reflections by around 30%.

I'd like to ask what might still be possible. Maybe some of you guys with more programming insight into how these features are derived can give an informed answer/guess. Can it be expected that much more can be done to improve these killers? I'm mean is this the standard?

I blows my mind to think that shadows are so expensive FPS wise to implement but I have a gaming friend that says shadows kill performance in every game he's played. 40-50% is a lot to get back! And Multiview, man I love it! But sheesh! 40-50% loss?! I may have to sacrifice it for smoothness of play. Is this it on the software side? This is not the first time these guys have done this kind of work. I doubt they've accidently left a tool in their toolbox. Will it just take more killer HW to brute force the way to maximum eye candy?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  2. jonchard

jonchard Registered

Quote "considering the load of runnuing at a res of 5040x1050, that kind of performance seems amazing to me."

Ricknau, i disagree im afraid. I have JUST jumped to 3 screens. Before this move, i adored RF2. Now i have 3 screens and running on 580 SLi with 5GHz proc and all cards under water running pretty quickly, the performance of RF2 under 5760*1080 is abysmal. When i run the same res on iRacing, i see an almos CONSTANT 120fps with screens being rendered BEAUTIFULLY at the correct angles (i was GOBSMACKED). And graphically, its stuns me from its relatively primative engine (although new twin ring motegi has new track shaders and its awfully pretty, still sits at 120fps!).

RF2 is still BETA i apreciate this, but there are a few things going wrong under SLi and im pretty sure come final package, we will see some good optimisations. But right now, as much as i love it on single screen with single GTX 580 (all trimmings to the max hitting over 70-90 fps SINGLE CARD) i have to turn it all down to medium to get anywhere near a playable fps from the start grid, sure it raises up to quite high after people are out of view, but first lap is painful.

ISI, not moaning, just saying, not good at this time andneeds some attentions for the latest hardwares. A few people have pulled up ISI with comments like "Its worse than RF1" and "graphics are primitive" etc. ISI, its been a long long time since RF1, i appreciate the engine change, but it does appear to be "suspiciously" behind the times considering the years of development we hear you have put into it.

Please DONT FLAME ME. Im a fan and i really want to see good things. But surely RF1 was relatively SLi optimised ... where did all these optimisations go with RF2? Has the entire thing been TOTALLY rewritten by a new team?

iRacing, Asseto Corsa, GT3 and others all need a damn good competitor. I want ISI to FULLY succeed.

Roll on the next update, Fingers crossed that some gripes have been addressed.

3. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I'm wondering if adding separate graphics options for side screens would help FPS in multi-view mode? Example a person could run centre screen with high shadows, but side screens with none. I don't have 3 screens myself but just adding my 2p.

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I think rendering the three screens separately is the way to go. I'm not a three screen user either though so take my advice for whatever that is worth. Three screens is a pain in the arse when you do other gaming. :p

5. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I don't run a variety of programs so that's why I don't know what's really possible. Hell, I've been exclusively a GPL guy for 10 years! That explains why I am so easily impressed! :D But your post gives me reason to continue to hope. It sounds as if your saying there may infact be some alternate techniques to try on both ISI's part and also maybe nVidia with SLi.

Here's keeping the hope alive...

That sounds like an excellent idea if it can be done.

Not to lead us off topic but that's a curious point of view. I really like it and am not sure how it could be a pain in the arse.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
  6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Older games such as RBR aren't three screen friendly, alot of FPS games aren't three screen friendly, same with games such as Total War, Silent Hunter. Spending even a minute disabling the two screens before clicking on the game short cut is a pain in the arse. ;)

7. Spyder

Spyder Registered

I disagree with Cdn, surprise surprise! I play all of my racing games/sim in triple screen resolutions, once you've tried it you'll never go back!

Fps's and RPGs I play in single screen as they rarely work as well or offer any similar benefit to racing sims in super wide formats.

If your budget permits it the XFX stand is a great way of allowing a neat way of having a single and triple screen setup, obviously there is a little menu tweaking to do in between ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

man that setups awesome.....one day Marc one day!

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

We have the same wheel and pedals Spyder. LOL. :p

Nice setup btw.

10. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Thanks guys :)

Before I bought the stand playing single screen games was a bit of a problem, very happy with it as I do like a bit of Skyrim as light relief after a bad race lol!

11. BasJon

BasJon Registered

very very nice setup Spyder Im jealous lol I think maybe buying 2 new screeens to go along side my 32 inch maybe my next upgrade :)

12. Paulinho

Paulinho Registered

That is very nice indeed, gotta get me something like that :)

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Looks like he has same seat as I have. But I have red one ;)

14. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Corbeau forza? I wish I'd gone for something with a little more padding to be honest, I have to use a cushion for added lumbar support!

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Ahh.. I have Cobra Monaco S. Very similar. But same in case of need of using cushion. I was surprised when after 30min I started to feel pain my back. cushion do the job, however I'm curious how real drivers sort this out.

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I know in NASCAR the seats are custom fit for the driver. I'm sure other series does this as well.

17. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Spot on, and the Monaco and Forza may be FIA approved but they are at the budget end of Motorsport seats which could also explain the lack of comfort, it's a generic shape designed to fit all.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

my seats a Momo straight out of a Jaguar (I think) road car, Air bag still in the side of it, arm rest on the left, comfier than my bed!

19. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

You wouldn't want that airbag to accidently deploy. lol.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

how amazing would that be though just as I crash the F2 at Spa...haha :D