Where is JGED?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by rhapd_44, Dec 2, 2021.

1. rhapd_44

rhapd_44 Registered

Hi all! I'm fairly new to rFactor 2 and I'm looking to begin my journey in both car modding and track modding. I do not however have 3ds Max. I have been using blender and 3Dsimed to get where I'm currently at which is getting my first track to load in Dev mode. As I have looked across the internet for tools to help me, JGED, as I have come to know it it's supposed to be in the tools folder of my rfactor installation. And from what I have found out about it it would help quite a bit. However, I don't have it there and I have looked far and wide on the interweb and I can find nothing past 2016 regarding this tool. So I do apologize if this thread winds up being meaningless but I'm just curious where is it? PS go easy on me this is really my first time ever starting a thread anywhere. Scared to get my head bitten off.

PatientRF2fan likes this.
  2. lagg

lagg Registered

IIRC JGED was deprecated when S397 bought rF2.
    I don't know if there is anyone using this nowadays.

3. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Worst decision ever for rf2 future

mantasisg and Emery like this.
  4. rhapd_44

rhapd_44 Registered

I would have to agree. I'm absolutely kicking myself for not discovering this game years ago. I would really like to create for this title but a lot of the guides and tutorials that I found are extremely dated and these days it seems like it's absolutely required to have 3ds Max to get anywhere without pulling your hair. Thank you for the quick reply I do appreciate it. :)

5. Emery

Emery Registered

gJED was removed in 2018 because S397 didn't want to maintain it for the new materials. A few people kept gJED handy, extracted from an old install, but, with new materials, etc., it quit being useful by 2020. If you're not using 3DS Max, then 3DSimEd and/or Blender with Traveler's scripts are about the only way to tinker. No surprise modding slowed down as a result.

For some details, see: Latest Build Update rFactor 2 - 1.1110 Now Available! | Page 31 | Studio-397 Forum

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  6. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

7. svictor

svictor Registered

gJED is still very important. Without 3dsmax, some features such as RF2's billboards property, can only be done in gJED.

Wizzo58 and Corti like this.