Where is bloom in new lightning system?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nuno Lourenço, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Tosch

Tosch Registered

It should be not that hard to create a good bloom effect when you have a hdr gfx engine and I guess the code from the pre release version is not lost in space.

[​IMG]

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I think that the next thing that ISI should improve is the sky/clouds. In the current state, the sky in rf2 looks a bit flat !

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I agree with this sentiment. It's like using aids that are often half a step behind your brain and just end-up being a mess for real racing. The fancy optics can look great in replays, but often detract from active racing. That being said, I still think we need a touch more brightness at full bright conditions, but I would prefer ISI move on to the many other important issues rather than spending much more time on something that is largely working fine and seems to be agreeable to the vast majority.

4. Andregee

Andregee Registered

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Dammit Tosch, you always post those screenshots from 3 years ago that look outstanding. I want that.

6. coops

coops Banned

Like i said B4 TOSCH should be looked at being employed by ISI even a sub contractor. His skill level is of a high standard and would be an ASSET to ISI.
    If they have not approached TOSCH they should realize, the person they have does not have the talent of TOSCH in this area. As TOSCH always shows a way of making things better. THAT'S IMHO.............

7. blakboks

blakboks Registered

You know Tuttle and Luc are no slouches either, right? Remember, we don't have all the information that they do.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Flicking through screenshots ProjectCARS sky is the best " overall feel and look " for me.

I will wait till ISI move from DX9, till then not too bothered.

Looks way better then any other DX9 sims including yucky ENB's. p

9. coops

coops Banned

AGREE no we don't but TOSCH does excellent work every time they do something he has something they could try or do better. No brainer to employ the guy on a subcontract basis for his work and see if he can help or improve things. knowledge kept is knowledge wasted.

10. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Well after calibrating my gaming monitor latest ISI Malaysia track started to look like what you were describing. But it was just a combination of lowering monitor brightness too much and URD EGT mod which windshield causes sky to turn into bit dull looking. Cranked up monitor brightness and switched into open wheeler - looking great! Congratulations to ISI of making significant improvement to graphics. I'm very happy simracer now! :) My only complaint is that during night cars fairly close behind still make you almost blind. Doesn't seem to be as bad as before but still there. Probably this is due windshield reflecting too much light and also vehicle not casting shadows from behind (only tried URD EGT so far). So it might be mod related and have to test with others too.

I don't want auto exposure back either because it was clearly too complicated to implement properly. At times it looked great but most of the time messed things up and caused all kinds of problems. However I don't think that code / hard work should be thrown out of the window because believe ISI could make use of it to simulate human iris / eye adapting to changing light conditions (as Minibull, Nuno and Tosch are saying above). The video Tosch posted shows somewhat good implementation of simulating human eye/iris. IMO it wouldn't matter if this effect would screw graphics (cause those phenomen with AE in previous builds) because it would only do it temporarily. Probably player wouldn't even notice those little glitches because dazzling effect would be far more dominant (our brains can't process/notice everything). I believe by implementing this feature it would increase immersion. Yes I agree with Tuttle about being bad idea to simulate human eye because we as drivers already have eyes but it wouldn't be about simulating the whole eye functionality. Just so much to compensate the lack of light intensity of monitor and fool driver brain to think light is brighter or darker than what could be achieved by a computer monitor.

Another wish would be to re-introduce bloom effect. As some have said it really is real-world phenomenon and increases immersion (when done with good taste so to speak :)).

With these two additions and perhaps fix for cars behind making you blind I believe rF2 graphics would look really good!

PS. I lied (with Arnold's voice). :) There's one more thing which could be worth checking out. Was testing Mountain Peak today and during night light poles look very dull - light sources itself I mean. If you look for example URD EGT car headlights (light sources that is)... they look superb and also very realistic IMHO. I'd love to see same kind of light source effects in light poles too. Would make tracks look fantastic during night!