Where is bloom in new lightning system?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nuno Lourenço, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

Ahhh, that's a shame to hear ai. I suppose one could argue that it would only be appropriate when entering and exiting a tunnel. Because other than a tunnel on a track, you are going to be out under the sun and in the ambient light. Like the auto exposure would have little to do in most situations, apart from twiddle it's thumbs lol.

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

90% of the time AE it's just causing issues; tends to make the scene dull and dark when outside the car (exactly the opposite as Nuno was saying), to compensate the overall brightness (sky+scene) and then doing the opposite inside the cockpit (overexposure to compensate the darkness of the dashboard).

All this stuff has been criticized for years, now it's gone. Amazing you guys asking for problems to come back, really.

3. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Only some guys, Tuttle, and not the quiet majority. I'd spend more time posting, except it takes away from time racing. Keep it up

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

:thumbsup:

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

Not me, I was just wondering whether it was something that may be worked on and reintroduced later if the issues can be worked around. The idea of it is IMO good, with the whole tunnel example and simulating the eye. But as I said, if there are so many benefits to removing it, as we certainly can see now, not many will miss it :)

6. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

This

7. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

First I doubt you see me in this forum somewhere complaining about too saturated colors because that its easily corrected in photoshop...

Second wasn't reduced a bit but a huge reduction...

I expressed myself wrong... In real life when you are in inside your home and came out to the street you have dificult seeing well and need some seconds to adapte your eyes to new reality. The same happens whit opposite and that kind of effect its not only in camera lens like some people say...

Then you have the ambiente light at 13PM... in build 930 when looking outside the cockpit we had the correct light in that time of day but with new build we don't have light at all... Everything is lifeless and flat. The light right now as it is looks like a very clouded sky...

And no, I'm not asking to problems come back because cockpit overexposure was wrong, very wrong, but then I prefer to listen "sorry but to correct the issue in cockpit we have to turn off Auto Exposure"...

You guys generalize too much. If 2 or 3 guys are always complaining all the time when other complain one time its because its like the first three...

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

You guys(ISI and staff) will always be damned if you do, damned if you don't. :)

9. Tuttle

Nuno, we didn't change a thing on direct and ambient light. It's the HDR which is managing everything in a MORE balanced way.

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

That's easy. All you need is a monitor with a 10000 Watt background light. But in that case you don't need the tonemapper anymore.

Until we have those hdr displays we have to use different methods to simulate the effects of light to the human eye. One of these "effects" is the the closing of the iris of your eyes and readjusting to changing light-conditions because today's common displays don't have the needed brightness and contrast to trigger this natural view experience by their own.
    (Took me hours to find this explanation. You can find a lot hdr stuff in the internet, but most of it is utter nonsense and mixed up with HDRI)

Here is a nice explanation of bloom.

Source: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Overview/index.html
    The trick is to apply bloom before the tonemapping. Post processing injectors don't work because they have only access to the tonemapped image and all high ranges are lost.

11. Tuttle

Nor your eyes. Probably you'll need a guide dog. :D

12. stonec

stonec Registered

I don't see the same things in my screenshots below. Maybe you speak about cockpit view, where track brightness and saturation was reduced. And you can increase saturation in Photoshop too, not that anyone would do races with Photoshop from what I've heard. :p

View attachment 16336

View attachment 16337

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I do miss some brightness and contrast variation on sunny weather in tropical places especially around 12pm, but I will never trade away getting rid of the over exposure issue and inconsistent lighting. This is a much better base to work future adjustments and improvements.

14. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

+1

15. Tuttle

Well...at this point I'm not sure what do you mean with "contrast" as it's working exactly the other way, especially at noon. Just look at the Stonec comparison few posts above...or these series of shots (930/946);

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. nuggetz

nuggetz Registered

Game still looks weird. Hard to explain. Almost is if the greens don't look realistic.

17. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Can you show example of realistic green?

18. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

So then i make another question. What can we expect from now on in lighting system?

I have three images to show how game should look in summer at 12 PM (In my opinion)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you mate I'll give it a try

19. stonec

stonec Registered

From your pics:
    1) B930 looks like it's taken on some other planet to my eyes, the lighting balance looks wrong, colors look wrong, not even zoomed out does it fool my eye.
    2) B946 looks accurate, my brain could be fooled that this is real picture from greater distance.
    3) Looks like it has been taken with bad camera and too much exposure. The sky is maybe a bit more to my preference, B946 the neon tone is too pushed imo

Another comparison below with latest ISI track. I think the lighting is almost perfect, the grass greens are less saturated than on most real pictures, is my only complaint.

View attachment 16342

View attachment 16343

20. coops

coops Banned

IMHO Nuno your preference is not realistic. You have no clouds plenty of light on a fine day and your sky is so dark or dull compared to what i would see on a fine clear day if i looked outside ( aussie ). Or is there a difference from northern and southern hemisphere ?
    2nd pic is more what i would see.
    Realism over bull crap eye candy for me.