Where does the mods downloaded when joining a server go?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Nocta, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Nocta

Nocta Registered

Hi there,
    I'm new to the online aspect of rFactor 2 and yesterday when I tried to join a server, the game had to download some cars and tracks apparently.
    Now if I look at the mods I'm subscribed to in the workshop, I can't find any new one, are they deleted after the race?

Also is it possible to sort the servers depending on the need to download new mod or not? Or at least can we cancel the download if it happens to be too long (slow internet here...)?

Thanks a lot.
    Cheers!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not sure on current steam workshop integration, but normally - and based on your observations, this is still the case at least for the content you downloaded - the content gets downloaded into the Packages folder in your rF2 install. It should then remain installed in your game afterwards. I don't know if workshop content is supposed to be subscribed or might happen that way in the future.

If you choose to remove it you can do it via the content -> packages tab in the game, or you may need to use the modmgr tool in the bin64 folder (which may need to be run from the rF2 root folder).

On your last questions, the answer is currently no.

Nocta likes this.
  3. Nocta

Nocta Registered

Thank you Lazza!
    I tried the modmgr tool way (the package tab in my game is not allowing me to uninstall or remove anything, I don't know why) and there are too things I can view: Mods and Components.
    It seems that mods only list the ones that got donwloaded when I tried to join the server but in components I have all my mods (added manually or via the workshop).
    This would be perfect for me to maintain a clean install but it seems that even if I uninstall and delete files in the mod list, they are still installed in the components one...
    Do you know anything about that?

4. mjo1704

mjo1704 Registered

i can instal mods in content page but uninstal only succeeds directly packages and installed folders

5. redapg

redapg Registered

Maybe i can help with that a little bit.
    Mods and Components are 2 different Things.
    A Component is a Car or a Track (File Extension is "rfcmp").
    A Mod is used for a "Series" / "Race Event" (File Extension is "rfmod"), that "links" to Cars and Tracks, that are used in that "Series" / "Race Event".
    So when you uninstall/delete a Mod, the Components, that this Mod did use, stay installed.
    I can not tell you in which Way it works now, because it seems to be one of the Things that work differently in different Game Builds.
    But if you as first uninstall/delete a Mod and afterwards the Components that it did use, you should get rid of all downloaded Files that you don't want to keep on your HDD or SSD.

6. Nocta

Nocta Registered

Thanks a lot for the clarification redapg! Do you know where the downloaded files (when i joined the online server) are stored?

7. redapg

redapg Registered

By default, these Files are stored in the Folder
    ..\rFactor 2\Packages
    I would suggest to use the Mod Manager (ModMgr.exe), that can be found in the Folder
    ..\rFactor 2\Bin64
    Open it and, if it is not done already, set the 2 Pathes
    Working Dir:
    Packages Dir:
    on the Bottom right of the Mod Manager, accordingly to my Pathes.
    Then check the 2 Boxes
    Mods
    Components
    that are in the 2nd Top Line, that starts with Viewing:, below of the Menu.
    And on the right of these 2 Checkboxes are small Buttons Loc, Veh, Snd, ... for the different Types of Components.
    I would suggest to activate all of them.
    Now click on "Type" at the Column "Type", to sort the List and then scroll the Column, until you see "Mod", as it is shown in my Screenshot.
    When you click on a Mod, like it is shown in the Screenshot with the Mod "ISI_SLC_SC_TEST2", you can see in the small Window on the right Bottom, which Components it uses.
    Now it's up to you, to decide if and what you want to uninstall and delete.
    Only the Mod or the Mod and all Components that it uses or just 2 Components of it....
    And you have to repeat that Procedure for all Mods. :)

modmgr.jpg

8. Nocta

Nocta Registered

Thank you so much for the lenghty explanation with screenshot, helps me a lot! :)

redapg likes this.