Where are car sound files saved how do I change them and how do they work?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Jameswesty, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Where are car sound files saved how do I change them and how do they work?

any ideas ?

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Cars in single player and multiplayer along with the sounds are in rf2data\installed\sounds, but they are inside of mas and changing might destroy that mod so that you need to reinstall it and before that remove manifest of that mod.

All editing is to be done in dev mode and you need to make car available in dev mode first, then sounds are in rf2data\moddev\sounds

These might help some:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3418-Getting-Megane-to-devmode
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3362-How-to-easily-destroy-installed-mod

Sounds themselves are .wav files, interior sounds are good in stereo, outside sounds mono.

.SFX file is what tells game what sound to play, when to play and how to play.

There is whole lot that I should write about SFX files and I will at some point, but it will take bit more time that I have now, so I just tell very basics.

VS_INSIDE_POWER_ENGINE= what sample to play when you push accelerator
    VS_INSIDE_COAST_ENGINE= what sample to play when you are not touching accelerator.

Those were inside sounds, outside is outside naturally.

There are numbers after each of those line, numbers put samples to order for this section:

// power inside
    EngRPMPowerInside=(0, 50.00, 2800.00, 1808.00) // zero-based engine number, minimum RPM, maximum RPM, natural RPM at which sample was recorded
    EngRPMPowerInside=(1, 2405.00, 5000.00, 4022.00)
    EngRPMPowerInside=(2, 4200.00, 7190.00, 6916.00)
    EngRPMPowerInside=(3, 7140.00, 80000.00, 7141.00)
    EngRPMPowerInside=(4, 0000.00, 0000.00, 0000.00)

So there first one controls how first sample will blend to other samples and so on, you need to have enough overlap to get nice blend, more difference in two samples, more overlap you need to get it sound good.

With that you should get started with at least, but there is lot more to cover from this subject. Sample editing is then completely own subject, but is needed to know to make sounds work and good.

Here are some links that might help with samples, also in that thread there is Opel GT samples and SFX file that I made, not the best quality as I took samples from youtube video and that I'm quite beginner with sound stuff, but it might help to look around that example too, it is free at least :D :
    http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273608

3. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Registered

So if you modify the mas file with different sounds or sfx file, you won't be able to race online?

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Mod will get destroyed, not showing up in rFactor anymore and you will need to restore original .mas, delete manifest file of that mod and reinstall mod, if you were lucky not to delete original .rfmod package you don't need to download several hundreds of megabytes.

Sounds are component though, so it might be possible to create component and install that, kind of addon to existing mod, but I have no clear picture how to do this and what can be updated as a component at the moment, as currently there are more limitations than there will be eventually.

For example I would like to make better lights component but so far I have not figured out how to achieve that and if it is at all possible, same for sounds really, I don't know if it is currently possible and if it is, how to achieve that is still mystery to me.

Someone else might be further in this and if so please share what you have possibly figured out :)