When will VR be here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RRL Shadow, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Eddy

Eddy Registered

@bwana like @TonyRickard said i have to use reading glasses and with them on i cant see further away than 1.5m.
    i own a cv1 and first i used it with glasses on because i had the same theory like you have, it was okayisch but nothing special. with glasses on i couldn't see in the distance very sharp and because i did read that that is normal with rift i thought i was okay.
    Until one day i got naughty and tried rift without glasses and really a whole new beautiful world opened up for me. Sure everything everybody says it's true about image quality in the rift or vive but man.......that immersion :cool:

So if you need reading glasses just try vr without them and probably you will be surprised. And if it doesn't work yes rift and vive can be used with glasses but they tend to get foggy, so if you need to use them you're better of with these: https://vr-lens-lab.com/

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    bwana likes this.
  2. bwana

bwana Registered

I am as well (obviously ) Tony but if you move to 100mm from screen while wearing your glasses is it still in focus as l believe that's approximately the distance from eye to VR screen?

3. bwana

bwana Registered

Unfortunately both , 25 years of staring into the sun on the sea hasn't helped

4. Magus

Magus Registered

I use the VR Covers for Eyewear & it serves me well. There is an initial getting them on/off problem but once you figure out a technique (for me was to places my glasses into the headset and then pull them all over my head) it becomes a breeze. The biggest difference I noticed was being able to comfortably read the text in the set-up menu of AC.

bwana likes this.
  5. bwana

bwana Registered

Thanks magus, could suit me quite well ..

6. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I believe the Rift focal point is at infinity, which is the key rather than the distance to the screen.

bwana likes this.
  7. Heath J

Heath J Registered

See if you can find a version of Game Commander. I have it it works pretty well.

bwana likes this.
  8. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

I'll echo Heath's advice: Game Commander was almost a requirement when I used to race NASCAR back in the N4 days, and I recall it worked pretty well in rF1 as well, though it wasn't "needed" the way it was racing ovals.

As far as glasses go, I found reading glasses essential to focus at all when I tried the RIFT demo at a metro area Best Buy (US retailer) a couple months back. I arrived loaded for bear, with all three pair of glasses I wear: closeup readers (aviator style) which I'm using right now as I type this, my "projection racing glasses" which are readers focused for a screen image about three to four feet away, and my everyday progressive glasses. As I expected, it quickly became apparent the closeup glasses were not only the best, but were, in fact, essential to obtain any focused image at all--without any corrective lenses the image was impossibly blurry for me.

As it happened the aviator style lenses are well sized for the RIFT--they are gripped well by the face rubber such that I fit the glasses first into the headset and then slipped the whole think onto my head.

Were I to buy a VR rig, I would definitely invest in the best reading glasses I could be fit with, and would find a good eye doctor who is willing to try for the best prescription, even if it takes a few iterations.

CS

I

9. bwana

bwana Registered

Thanks Christopher, pretty much exactly as I presumed,I think I will need a custom prescription for the purpose though as my current close ups don't focus under 150mm. My magnifying glasses (cheap chemist shop specials) are aviator style and can be purchased in varying magnifications so may just be ideal
    I do have Voice commander thanks Heath but yet to really set it up.

10. Christopher Snow

My own current close-up/aviator readers allow me to focus down to a distance of just about 10" (255mm), and are useless even one inch closer. Truth be told, I rarely use them for reading books any more, but they are quite useful between 15" and 30" *which makes them work well for typing in front of the PC. For books, I almost always read up-close these days, and I can do that out to a range of 8." At 9" things are already fairly blurry and at 12" or more I can't read a typed page at all, nor can I focus clearly on anything closer than 4" (using either eye singly). Which does cause me to wonder how the fresnel lenses affect the glasses (and vice versa), as far as using VR for long periods goes, and how the fresnel changes the effective focal distance of the VR image plane--the screen--itself. It also causes me to wonder whether or not I would be able to race with VR with acceptable levels of eye-strain or not. As yet I haven't tried using a VR headset for more than five minutes at a time (the length of the aforementioned RIFT demo), and if I can't do it for a couple hours at least, then for me the whole idea of VR is unworkable anyway--I need to (and have) raced for at least five hours at a single sitting** (stopping only to pit) at least once in my "career" and would consider the two-hours limit for modern GP as a practical minimum.

[** in front of a fullsize, projected image--see the "large FOV" thread for more on this, if curious]

bwana likes this.
  11. bwana

bwana Registered

Agree about whether or not with my eyes, it would be suitable . I must find a store demoing VR and I myself have also wondered if hours of driving would be possible and if it would further my ailing eye sight. Thanks for input.

12. Christopher Snow

Followup: I literally just hung up the phone after calling one of three local Microsoft stores (US) about arranging a VIVE demonstration...and though not currently so listed online, it seems the store furthest from me (40 miles) WILL

give me a walk-in, ten minute demo without appointment even on a weekday. As I'll have occasion to be there anyway on Monday next, I'll hopefully know a bit more first-hand by Monday night. I will certainly be sure to take all of my glasses with me once again as well. :D

Knowing this is possible, I'm also going to try to see the RIFT for a third time tomorrow, in order to compare apples-to-apples as best I can too.

Further updates as events warrant....

CS

13. Christopher Snow

Certainly glad to talk about it, as it helps me too--I was on the fence for hours Wed. night about whether or not to buy a VIVE for $100 off (or not--I eventually passed on it), and I'm still atop that fence at this moment...which is amusing, considering I don't have a PC to drive with at all right now. ;D

Truth be told, I'm probably more likely to buy a 3D projector for racing than I am a VR headset (already have a pair of 2D models), but there are other things I'd like to try with the headset too that are completely unrelated to racing.

Aye there's just part of the rub--where to put both time and money, not just "whether to" (or not).

CS

bwana likes this.
  14. bwana

bwana Registered

Be great to see how it goes, Finish my shift tomorrow so will do a ring around . would like to try and be ready to throw some money once VR is implemented in rf2 ,so a bit of for planning atm