When will VR be here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RRL Shadow, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Albert Castrol Racing

Albert Castrol Racing Registered

To be honest, yes I have.

Very lucky to have taken part in a non 397 test.

Narrowbackwing and vegaguy5555 like this.
  2. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Or my work helmet ...lol
    [​IMG]

3. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

This "Big Head" affliction can be a problem for some Police officers. :p:D

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  4. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Honestly weight is not a problem unless to have a particular disability with neck.
    I have played more than 3 hours in a row without feeling any slightest discomfort ;)

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'll tell you what is a problem, when you suddenly get an itchy eye! At least real race drivers can lift their visor, we lift ours and it's gravel trap city :D

6. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Haha, yes it's true :p

7. PaulG

PaulG Registered

8. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I suspect the next-gen HMD's will have significantly better mounting solutions and balance; even the knock-off's coming out are using far better designs based on PSVR. Improvements in SDE and lens design will help with overall comfort and image quality - again, Sony has done better in that regard. HTC and Oculus have to be looking at those designs and asking why they didn't think of that (?$?). :)

Long sessions in VR will become even easier; the big challenges are going to be resolution, FOV, greater efficiency / performance and lowering cost of access to expand the user-base. Progress will be slower in those areas than we would like imo.

9. bwana

bwana Registered

Just a noob VR question, my eye sight isn't 20/20 and lve read that some sets allow for glasses but having the screen at say 10cm from my eyes l don't think l would be able to focus , if l hold this iPhone at that distance there is no chance of focusing even with my reading glasses, my question is is there some kind of black magic involved and can you guys (users ) focus on your phone at that distance, l so want to go to VR but would be bummed if l couldn't see clearly. Btw my focal length with glasses on is 150mm at best

10. PaulG

PaulG Registered

The deluxe audio strap that HTC is releasing later this year (99 dollars) is like a combination of the Rift and the PSVR. It looks great from a comfort stand point. I'd have said it looked pretty much perfect until LG showed their OpenVR prototype. That design, from an ergonomics POV, looks absolutely drool worthy. I really question how anyone will improve on that one (at least while they still use large screens and are bulky).

No black magic. The difference between focusing on your phone at that distance and VR is there are expensive optics you're looking through. Those lens let your eyes focus at a distance that's further away.

On that general subject, I feel VR creates less eye strain than staring at a monitor that's a couple feet away. It's wonderful in that regard.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    RaceNut likes this.
  11. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Has anyone tried OSVR? I see AC supports it now. Razers Hacker DK is claiming 1080p each eye, which is a lot more pixels then Vive or Oculus or is this misleading?

12. bwana

bwana Registered

so l guess from what your saying that with my minimum focal length of 150mm with glasses that l wouldn't be able to focus with VR ?? Guess l will have to find a store with demo sets on show ..

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

stick to rift or vive only, looking at reviews there is (at this moment) overall nothing close

14. PaulG

PaulG Registered

/\

Someone else will have to comment on that. I don't wear glasses. I know some people do and some people don't need to wear their glasses in VR. Maybe somebody else can comment on what the cutoff points are.

15. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

The "Black Magic" you question are the VR-lenses basicly.

bwana likes this.
  16. bwana

bwana Registered

Thinking about it l have a cheap pair of magnifying glasses that l got for flytying that have a much shorter focal length , they may be the answer..

17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

If you are wearing glasses, it's best to use contact lenses, atleast with the Oculus Rift. I have over 2 dioptres and it is allmost unplayable without glasses or lenses. You get the same effects in VR that you get in RL without glasses, so be prepared :cool:

18. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I read of a VR-user mounting a spare pair of prescription glasses into his HMD and he said it worked quite well. I've seen posts regarding custom lenses in the Oculus forums too, so there may be options out there for people falling outside the average focal range.

19. PaulG

PaulG Registered

If all you're saying is you need reading glasses, I severely doubt you need glasses. Fairly certain the issue is if you need glasses to see in the distance.

20. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Exactly. I am reading this forum with glasses on as I am long sighted. I don't need them for the Rift.