When will VR be here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RRL Shadow, Jan 8, 2017.

1. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I think the challenge with eye-tracking is accuracy and latency; assuming those issues can be solved in time, Foveated-rendering should be the next big thing in VR. Of course, higher resolution is a critical part of that formula because that (FR) tech would have little effect using current displays.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Racerooms update yesterday included this:
    • Added three bindable keys to modify the user’s headset translations multiplier, which alters in-game head movement and eye-to-eye distance. Default value is 0.9.
    Essentially it's a FOV for VR, having had a quick play it makes one hell of a change when you go to far in one direction (everything becomes small) and then the next (everythings massive). I'm personally fine with the default but this could come in handy I think for people who wear glasses and perhaps struggle with their eyesight in general.

3. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Any word on how the move to DX11 is going to impact multi-threading? Is there going to be any benefit at all to going to an 8 core Ryzen CPU for VR and this game?

4. PaulG

PaulG Registered

https://uploadvr.com/gdc-2017-hands-lgs-steamvr-headset/

In case anyone still hasn't jumped in, and is looking to purchase a VR headset in the near future, LG just showed off their prototype for the first time. They haven't committed to a release date, but it certainly looks like it could be something that gets released later in 2017.

It's using 2 panels @ 1440 X 1280. So it has about 42 percent more pixels than the Vive/Rift. LG is also manufacturing the screen themselves, so hopefully it'll be RGB in structure (which would further reduce the screen door effect).

BTW, it's using OpenVR, so it's completely interchangeable with the Vive.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Codecz likes this.
  5. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

From my reading on the subject thus far, it does not appear that most games will see any benefit from the extra cores - at least not at this point. Single-core performance is still considered a key factor in how the chip will work for our use.

6. PaulG

PaulG Registered

There are a few games that benefit, but it definitely needs to be designed this way. Some of the newest console ports are starting to scale beyond 4 cores and bring real results. Probably not realistic with a DX11 engine. Honestly, I'm just looking for someone to push me over the edge:)

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Sounds alright, I like this bit: ...and flips up away from the face like the Microsoft headset we tried earlier this week.

That could be very handy! I'm forever taking my Rift on and off where with this I wouldn't need too.

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  8. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 had a multi-threaded physics switch in player.JSON, but it was removed some builds ago. If I remember correctly, it caused weird slowdowns for a certain % of users. Now it only runs on two cores and not sure how much it benefits from more, because weird as it may sound, rF2 FPS scaling is basically 100% related to GPU power. My CPU overclock attempt gained me 0 FPS.

PaulG likes this.
  9. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

All I know is this, I'm having a great time with the Vive. Advanced settings installed with steam beta VR. 1.5x rendering, asynchronous preprojection on, and I don't even pay attention to FPS anymore everything runs so smooth. I'm so immersed when I'm driving everything just comes natural. Elite dangerous is amazing, and DCS world is beyond words. If your flying, get at HOTAS, you can also use the extra buttons on it for mapping racing keys. As for performance, nvidia has been pumping out drivers that mysteriously improve those having performance issues, not sure what AMD side of things are.

VR is like anything else in the PC gaming, you have to mess with it, just like crossfire, triple monitors, a complete racing rig with cockpit and actuating seats. I enjoy it and I'll buy whatever upgrade version comes out in years to come.

Quite a few people are having issues wearing it improperly, especially in the Vive's case. I see a lot of people wear it like a set of binoculars, when suppose to be worn like ski googles and they don't set the eye distance properly.

10. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Price down on GPU and... Oculus (and CPU soon with the release of AMD Razen ;) )
    Price is no longer an excuse ;)

11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Anyone who got motion sick at first but got better after a while? It might be because i have a health issue atm but even my triple screens make me dizzy after a while so VR feels really scary lol. :D

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  12. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

I had problems the first hours I had my CV1, couldn't race longer than 30mins. And when there was an accident/slide with much movement I felt it at once. So I had to pause for a while but after that the time I could race became more and more. Small steps! :) Now I can race hours non-stop in Iracing, AC, Raceroom etc without any nausea. I think it is important that you switch off all artifical movement sliders such as look to apex, pitch, yaw, g-forces etc when racing with a HMD because they just add fake movements which enhance motion sickness.

ericRacer and Alex72 like this.
  13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Cool good to hear. :) I bought motion sick pills to test but sadly they all have the side effect (on some people) that you get really tired, and unfortunately i get really tired on them. Hopefully i can get used to VR the day i get it. Thanks mate.

fbiehne likes this.
  14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Make sure settings are right
    especially driving sims -car needs to be totally fixed no g-force effect or stupid shaking etc
    +Turn down graphic details if need be for fluid fps

Any slight nausea then take a break
    After a while you progressively can go for longer until zero breaks needed ....your brain is at this point VR ready & all your wildest dreams are coming true

Good good

Narrowbackwing and Alex72 like this.
  15. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Yes, go easy on your brain and take breaks or stop immediately when you feel ill. Most people can progress pretty quickly if they don't over do it. Be aware that the effects may even be felt the following day but, sleep is usually the best treatment.

It's far easier to go slow and be patient than it is to have to overcome serious VR sickness. One really bad bout of VR-illness can ruin some games - if not VR itself, for people.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Narrowbackwing and Alex72 like this.
  16. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Don't be worry about that, mate ;)
    In real life I'm very sick fast in transport, even calm transport like bus or train. After less one week, I've no more problems.
    Only 2/3 first days were hard. Adapt you slowly ;)
    And yes good settings it's important, don't mess it.

Alex72 likes this.
  17. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

My friend says the same thing. Even with the triple screens. I think it may be the inner ear being stationary while your eyes are seeing fast movement.

18. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

My short experience with DK2 was that under quick direction changes if FPS was not high enough you might get motion sickness. It was a poor demo of a rollercoaster that almost made me puke. I felt sick for almost one hour or so. Deleted it immediately.

With LFS it felt natural but in low speed 180 degree hairpins where rotational speed was maximum you could feel it as well. Turning my head very quickly produced the same effect, but it is something that I simply could avoid

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  19. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Being seated and having a fixed visual reference in view can help avoid or minimize the dis-connect between what we see in VR and what our brain perceives to not make sense. Overcoming these "dis-connects" can be improved over time through moderate repeated exposure - often referred to a "growing VR legs".

Even with a high tolerance for VR, there are certain movements or situations that can make us feel ill but, it helps if we recognize those and avoid them by closing our eyes momentarily or simply maintain control more effectively.

Euskotracks likes this.
  20. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I agree until a certain point. Practice improves everything. I usually never get sick under normal circumstances. I can normally read while in a car, or even a boat.

However, there is no way I would have got used to the roller coaster experience. It was so poorly optimised that the fps was just too low for my laptop which on the other hand could run LFS at solid 60 fps. I could drive for one hour without feeling sick at all.

RaceNut likes this.