When will VR be here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RRL Shadow, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

I've been racing with my vive on AC. The resolution is fine. I can see the brake markers and apexes. People who are having issues with clarity should download open VR advanced settings and use the super sampling option. This cleans things up immensely. VR will makes us all better racers, maybe not faster or slower than our current pace, but the spatial awareness afforded by VR will reduce silly crashes that plague simracing

2. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Foveated rendering will fix the 4k GPU power problem. Hopefully next gen.

3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

VR can be nice and all but won't make the miracle of giving people common sense

Lazza and Adrian like this.
  4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Indeed. I think eye tracking will be big to, rendering in hires what the eye is looking at and maybe blur the periphery.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm really hoping directional sound will be included in rfactor 2 implementation , it really adds a lot of immersion

( sounds stronger from direction face is pointing )

lagg likes this.
  6. daguru

daguru Registered

Hi could you please share your Vorpx settings I'm a total newbie with Vorpx and got it working ok but the FOV and res is bad :(as for headtracking I was going to try it with my track ir
    Thanks in advance

7. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Two sides of the same coin. Foveated rendering and eye tracking go hand in hand. The eyes naturally blur the peripheral, which is why you need eye tracking with foveated so you only have to render high resolution at the point of focus and the peripheral can go lower resolution the further away it is from the focus point.

8. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Ok.

Game:
    Graphics all max, drop Shadows to High, shadow blur Optimal, Both Reflections to Low. Soft particles off. If FPS too low, continue dropping shadow level then track details.
    Map Free Look/Center Look to some key (on steering wheel possible).
    AA - only in game AA.
    FOV 100 (max). Then adjust seat pos to desired view.
    Resolution: 1600x1800

Video driver
    Disable VSync and max out pre-rendered frames.

Vorpx (DEL key):
    Turn off 3D reconstruction
    Bump Sharpeninig to your desired level (I use 2.0)
    Stretch is pixel 1:1.
    Disable mouse acceleration.

I get very very nice image quality this way. Problem is, tracking is stepped. One of the key things with vorpx is to use zoom in/out feature (shift + mouse scroll, which I also map to steering wheel buttons). I typically zoom out in menu or while adjusting pit stop settings, and zoom in during the race. HTH :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    daguru likes this.
  9. daguru

daguru Registered

Cheers will give it a try ;)

10. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Simultaneous Multi-projection is another technology that can improve VR performance while lowering the hardware requirements. It's still going to be a while before we see this and Foveated-rendering / eye-tracking all combined in VR but; with further optimizations, poor VR-performance and image quality should not be major hurdles for too long.

Yes, VR does require having a strong system but, so does using triples. There are also other benefits to not relying on a potato for Sim-Racing.

Ernie likes this.
  11. daguru

daguru Registered

@The Iron Wolf thank you looks loads better like that, but yeah tracking is crap and the track ir was no better, gave me an idea how great this sim will be once VR is implemented thou can't wait.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

FOVE 0
    EYE TRACKING VR HEADSET
    FOR DEVELOPERS, CREATORS, RESEARCHERS

Your Human Connection in a Virtual World

$599 USD
    https://www.getfove.com/

Magus likes this.
  13. Magus

Magus Registered

Sooo, we're finally here....entered the end of Q1 :p

Sorry just desperate to start playing rF2 again and NEED VR support :)

Narrowbackwing, vittorio and bluet like this.
  14. mennow

mennow Registered

Only a couple of weeks now before Q1 ends.
    Really looking forward to sit in that Eve F1 cockpit , on a wet track at dusk in the Ardennes...
    Haven't started Rfactor 2 in ages because of lack of VR.
    Once you got used to it there is no way back.
    Or that Brab-beta at Suzuka, that will be epic..
    I have raced on triples for years now, but once I got my Vive I haven't looked back.
    I reinstalled them a month ago , just to see the difference after racing with my Vive since last oktober.
    But the immersion that comes with 3d is just so fabulous I can't race without it anymore.
    Masta kink will be scary again I hope...

Cheers Menno

Louis and MarcG like this.
  15. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

I've an Oculus and I think the price is not an argument against VR.
    Because I bought a 1060 GTX Dual 6g OC for 250€ (thanks black friday), a FX8350 for 180€ to upgrade my PC (not for VR but to have good materials for play, it's a gaming PC). Vr is 'only' an additional cost of 650 €. But when I see a triple screen (ISI make some effort for triple screen?), Competition seat etc. I prefer VR and the cost isn't no more important. I prefer Vr than an I-phone 7 too :p
    And with this PC, no problems for AC, or Elite Dangerous (with good settings not at mini). I think will be ok for RF2 too.
    I'm very impatient to play at RF2 with VR. AC do it Raceroom do it, RF2 must do it too. It's the only reason what I play only with AC at this moment because when you test VR it's very hard to play without after ;)

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah the thrill of classic Spa is going to be immense in VR, I remember when I first drove it all those years ago and even then it was great.

17. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

About SPA. I've never been there in real life. We often hear about the fact that the raidillon is really impressive. Since I've tested it with VR I know why It's so impressive. The impression of unevenness has nothing to do with the 2D rendering on a screen or a TV during a grand prix :p

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hopefully VR compatibility in just a matter of weeks now

I must confesss since not renewing my iracing subscription in anticipation of rfactor2 dx11 VR
    I've actually been using AC -some cars are actually ok verb enjoying it , but for me rfactor2 will be a mind blowing experience in VR
    Dont think AC will be used thereafter

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've been to both Spa & Bathurst, whilst VR opens them up hugely it still doesn't come close to actually being there in person. Before the Bathurst 12hours there was a clip of a British driver (forget his name) saying "on TV and in the Simulators you don't get a sense of how narrow and steep the track is" (paraphrasing a bit), having walked up Eau Rouge and twice walked Bathurst I know what he means. But the thrill in VR is immense at both tracks, it just won't quite be like the real thing :)

GaetanL likes this.
  20. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Just to remind: still over 4 weeks until the end of Q1.

A lot is being written with respect to foveated rendering and eye tracking.

IMO foveated rendering is the way to go since it can reduce vastly the amount of pixels to be rendered.

However, I am skeptical about eye tracking. I would start by using a centered foveated rendering. You can always turn your head to where you want to look at. I think you get quickly and naturally used to it. With my DK2, the center area was much sharper and contrasted than the periphery for an identical resolution in both and it didn't feel unnatural to center the view to my focus.

Eye tracking IMO will increase complexity a lot and I am not sure what technology has been thought to do this job. It implies detecting the center of the eye with a varying amount of backlight from the displays. Head tracking works OK but see what it implies.
    With a glass lens and a display I see no available room for another sensor.

Adrianstealth likes this.