When will RealRoad be at a realistic speed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marvelharvey, Apr 30, 2014.

1. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

One common complaint I've read on the forums is the speed at which tracks rubber in, only taking a handful of laps to change from green to full rubber. Considering RealRoad is one of the amazing features separating rF2 from the other, lesser sims, I would have thought having it work in a realistic manner would have been a priority. Yet it's been this way for as long as I can remember.

I'm wondering, is this on ISI's to-do list? It seems like quite a simple thing to fix. CurrentRealRoadSpeed*0.15 would suffice until a slider in UI ;)

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

Pretty sure the goal is to tie real road to tyre degradation in terms of speed of rubber buildup. Don't quote me on that one though, just a vague memory I have.

Maybe they are holding it off until they are working on the tyre model again, dunno.

3. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I also remember It... but meanwhile would be nice if they adjust speed, or they let us to adjust by ourselves... because now is weird how fast a track is rubbered. From 0% to 100% in few minutes during a league Qualy.

4. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Ah, I didn't know about the possible tyre degradation connection. If that tyre technology is far away, I hope we get a stop-gap solution to slow realroad down.

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, same. I'm guessing if that statement is correct, it would be that a softer tyre will lay down rubber a bit quicker, throw marbles off quicker, etc compared to a extra hard. Maybe. Dunno XD

6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

At the beginning, real road was not tied to tire wear at all. We had the same amount of rubber on straights, corners and in braking zones.
    Just a few months later it got tied to tire wear.

Of course tire model has features planned, but some dependency is already there, even if it's not very realistic at this point.

The problem is the rate. And it becomes more and more of an issue as more racing opportunities appear in rFactor 2.
    Take upcoming Indianapolis, for example. One of key aspects of such race is how conditions change throughout the race. This applies to all long distance races but becomes even more apparent on ovals.
    With current real road progression rate these conditions would pretty much settle in during first stint and that would be it.

It would be a shame to have both IMS and Dallara and still only have accelerated real road available. I believe I've mentioned IMS when talking about real road before. Now I'm pointing it out again as we're likely close to release.

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

Is it tied to wear currently? For some reason I thought it was tied to tyre load somehow, with the braking zones darkening up quicker than anywhere else. XD

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Load shifts from rear to front wheels during braking but total load does not increase.

Average load can change when going over elevation changes, when mass of car changes or when speed of car changes, causing change in aerodynamic downforce.

If it would be directly tied to load, we would have more rubber on faster straights (more downforce) :) Unless ISI would create some indirect, non-linear dependency on tire load, but I don't see how that would make sense. It's easier to put amount of rubber on the track proportional to the amount of rubber you're taking from tire during wear.

9. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

plus payment amount area thicker rubber wheels and the road surface wear rubber. Better cleaning path from dust and rubber from the rubber side overloads cornering braking.
    ISI confused with graphics. And accurate calculation of the net trajectory rubber.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's not just a rate adjustment that will be happening. Yes, the rubber is tied to tire wear in some way, but they (ISI) did mention at one point that the whole thing will be linked to the tyres and at that point it will work more realistically. I would expect some more TGM parameters that affect the realroad in various ways. This was mentioned quite a while ago, and we've long been asking for a rate adjustment (every now and then with a new build someone reports that it's slower, but I don't know that anyone's actually measured the rate) to no avail. This is not the only area where it looks like we have to wait for ISI to implement a whole system rather than give us a quick fix in the meantime, and while that might be a bit annoying I don't know that there's much point continually asking for it. In some ways it would be more annoying if they did a quick fix now, because you'd wonder why it didn't happen 2 years ago.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I am just thankful for what rubber I have to drive.

Fantasy rubber is better then nothing at all any day of the week.

For mine hotlapping runs in every single other sim has been boring for years.

Now you can race and attempt outside pass on less grip ???

People expect too much, rF2 has spoiled you. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
  12. msportdan

msportdan Banned

oh i thought that RR was just scaled to how many laps you set. I have only raced 6 laps, so by lap 2 there is rubber down..

as durge said vo i suppose some RR is better than none... :)