When I Shut Down RFactor 2, Steam Says It's Still Running

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by BluesAdam, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Registered

+1

2. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

Same issue.
    Sometimes it stops immediately, sometimes needs manual intervetion, sometimes it hangs at "stopping" and never closes, have to kill the tasks manually.

3. Team Dano

Team Dano Registered

This known problem has been around for a while. Maybe another never to be fixed bug in Rfactor2. I use task manager to exit.

pety100 likes this.
  4. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

@admin , can we get some feedback on this bug please , I will not start to do all kind of things to fix something that as never happened on previous build , everything is still fine when i go back to previous build , the solution is yours to fix .

5. delapecs

delapecs Registered

I have Fanatec stuff, and have the problem for the first time with the last official build. Not in latest RC or at least that I realized.

Grey and pety100 like this.
  6. AFreak

AFreak Registered

I have the same problem, but only after I have joined a multiplayer session. I play in VR and after closing rFactor it disconnects from SteamVR but keeps running in Steam. I have a Fanatec DD1 with driver 440.

7. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

Eliezer , you just replaced your Vr , so you had to do this regardless , hey hey !

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For most people prior to this build it was related to other software (eg Logitech).

Have you noticed any pattern to this? Some people have said racing online will trigger it, and starting the game then exiting (without driving) will do it too. Single player sessions may be less affected. Have you had it after only playing single player?

Could you try creating a trace file with both +trace=2 and +traceflush parameters, to see if that indicates where it's getting caught up?

9. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

I have not noticed pattern in anything that I do ,I have not practice in single lately ,all I can say is it started with this build , another place I race still on old build , no issue whatsoever ,
    I don’t know how to do this tracing,

But they should and so far not a word from them except “are you using Logitech software “ ,
    Wow , great tech , not even interested in getting to bottom of this , many are affected and don’t post here ,

That’s beside many other issues we have to live with, no wonder everyone is migrating to other platform, sadly !

10. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

No issue on single player , i just tested ,

11. AFreak

AFreak Registered

I've added the the trace parameter +trace=2 and after that, the problem does not exists. rFactor closes fine (with some seconds delay). Without trace, the problem is still there after joining a multiplayer session. I tried it several times. Single player is always ok.

12. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

could you please explain how this is done exactly ? Where do I need to go to do this ?

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Creating a trace file. For any freezing/crashing it's good to also add +traceflush to the line. "+trace=2 +traceflush" without the quotes.

The post you're talking about is from 2017. As I said, hanging on exit only seems to have become more common with this build. Prior to that it was almost always due to something the user had running and not because of the game itself.

They don't respond to every thread, even most threads. Doesn't mean they aren't looking into it. In the meantime if we can help identify usage patterns that affect it then that can help narrow it down as well, and if it ends up being related to certain software or hardware we can sometimes find things they can't identify themselves. That's how it works.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just checked back, you were having issues with the UI freezing when exiting a race (not the game) and I told you twice to create a trace file but you never did.

Are you having an issue with the game when exiting, or still when exiting a race?

15. Team Dano

Team Dano Registered

Game freezes 95% of the time when exiting any screen, race, qualifying, practice, even exiting the game to go to desktop it freezes.

16. pety100

pety100 Registered

+1

I need to kill rfactor2.exe in the task manager after exiting the game. But not all the time, but about every second time it happens.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's a different issue to the one being discussed in this thread.

18. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

Adding the trace file as resolved the issue , thanks Lazza .

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Interesting.

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Should adding the trace command 'fix' things? Trace is supposed to report the step by step loading and running of the program by writing each command as it happens. So by adding trace, you are not really fixing anything EXCEPT, perhaps, the act of writing and saving the trace file also allows other files like the player.json to complete the same process.