KNOWN Wheel will not calibrate since build update

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Adrianstealth, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya

the joy.cpl thing worked thanks,

just x3 items ;

DSD 36+6 (ok)
    steering wheel (ok)
    SLI-PRO Interface (ok)

(the dsd is my pedals)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

edited SLI pro now plugged in ( I forgotten that I'd unplugged it )

same problem

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

new details, edited above

)-:

seems rf2 dosnt like the slipro ( wheel display with buttons attached to it )

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

some progress, I can calibrate the wheel if the sli-pro is unplugged, then after exiting rf2 I replug in the slipro then restart rf2,

I can then calibrate the buttons/shift paddles ( on wheel that connect to the sli pro)

not getting the display now (did before ) + also rf2 didn't mind my setup previously

5. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

I hope adrianstealth doesn't mind me publicizing the results of a PM exchange. It appears there is some sort of conflict now between the SLI Pro Display and the wheel, because if he unplugs the former, then the latter works. Currently I can't find any recent code change that might make this suddenly stop working. Does anybody else here run a setup like this?

6. Bart S

Bart S Member

I think "Tortue G" has a custom wheel similar to bodnar wheel, he may be able to help, I think he also may have suffered some problems recently.

Pax also runs a custom wheel, different device from Tortue G.

Tortue G runs whats known as RFR Mizoo Wheel currently work in progress FFB Wheel
    Pax is developing the LifeOn2 Wheel which is also custom FFB and work in progress.

I think all these devices run on the DirectInput Force Feedback Device Driver rather than a manufacture optimised driver system, don't know if this helps maybe it does.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya

Thanks Terrance ( & Bart ) for helping, I'm really starting to suspect it's this problem relating to my pedal interface
    ( Derek spere designs board ) & how rfactor 2 sees things

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...rs-Me-or-A-Bug?p=110830&viewfull=1#post110830

As same problem in rf1 (although it was ok in rf2 for a while but now both )

The rf2 software picks up 4 controllers although there's only 3 in my game controller box etc

When I get a mo I'll sit down & go through the instructions, I think it's a problem that can crop up in all isi based simulators apparently

Quite frustrating would be good to try out the new official servers )-:

I'll report back when I go through the instructions on that other thread etc

Regards
    Adrian

8. Terence Groening

Mmm, we can handle up to 6 controllers so I don't think there's a problem with the limit. All we do is ask DirectInput how many controllers there are - your log clearly shows that DirectInput is reporting 4 controllers. I don't really know why that's different than the number that the Windows Game Controller panel is showing (to be honest, I was worried that they would report *more*, not *less*).

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya

Firstly big thank you Terrance for helping/following this ( & Tim )
    & others that have posted to help etc

All sorted now

There were x2 problems (one of which wasn't present in earlier builds I'm sure) this might help people with problems in the future

First problem :

The levers on my formula wheel ( can be assigned to clutch or look left and right ....not the gear shift paddles ) , these levers along with gear paddles and buttons are all controlled by the sli pro ( Leo bodnar display with button ports etc)
    Were sending signal through as I tried to calibrate the wheel causing strange things, I had to re-calibrate these in windows again to put some dead zone in ( which I managed by holding each one in very slightly with one hand whilst clicking the mouse with the other hand as I was going through the windows calibration thing )

Second problem :

This is now present in rf2 as it was in rf1 ( with same wheel rotation this use to be fine in rf2 )
    My wheel (in its own setup utility as used in windows) is set to 540degrees , rf2 needs more rotation to pick up the calibration ( in my case anyway ), I had to change to 720degrees then re-enter rf2 to calibrate then exit & switch back

Still fiddling but at least it's working now, I've not used rf2 for a while & now fps seems to be down )-:
    Still fiddling

Thanks again

10. Terence Groening

Ahhh, so when you were trying to select a control, was it picking up one of the levers instead? We used to see this problem with, for example, sliders on joysticks but we changed to look for actual movement in a control and I thought that problem went away.

And yes, we look for a 50% reading to select a control - apparently your wheel can go further than 1080 degrees? If so, doesn't that also limit your range in-car? So, for example, if you set your car's steering lock to, say, 25 degrees, doesn't that mean you only actually get half or less than that? Or does that in-game steering wheel range somehow help you out here?

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya Terence

My wheel can go to 1080 degrees (I'm pretty sure , if not then 900 )

I prefer it at 630, but moved it to 900 to calibrate , then moved it back to 630 degrees

The levers on the back of my wheel I think are a tad jumpy ( like interference ) so I guess it was best I added dead zones in windows.

Tried rf1 earlier but same deal ( will not calibrate whilst sli-pro plugged in -but this was always the case)

Rf2 working fine now , phew

12. Terence Groening

I'm glad you've got it working, of course, but I'm still not sure what changed in the latest build that would have affected your setup. The main change in the controllers was for Win8 users only.