Wheel rotation not matching in game.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by metalnwood, Dec 11, 2014.

1. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Feeling a bit silly as I have seen others with this problem but now I can't find the information myself.

I think I had this issue with my fanatec wheel at some stage and was able to fix it by changing the wheel max number of degrees to less but it was easy to do on the fanatec.

Now I am using my DIY servo and it works fine in iracing and AC but not here. It is set up for 1080 and configured as a control. In the controller setup screen I can move the wheel to the maximum left/right and the graph at top left matches that perfectly so the game understands I am using 1080.

When I drive the cars I need a lot more input in to the wheel than should be required. It seems I need to move my wheel more like 180 degrees to get 90 degree in game. I have tried combinations like checking the green box, 'in car', unticking it, setting the value from 270 to 1300 trying to see if I can get it to match but no luck.

I am sure its something simple but I can't see the forrest for the trees right now :)

Thx.

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

With Fanatec the solution was to set the wheel rotation to OFF and ingame let it automatically set per car, which would allow the game to determine the 900º and then the steering would self adjust the rotation per car. Since you're on a custom setup I wish I could help but maybe going off this Fanatec knowledge you can solve your issue?

3. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Thats what I thought too, I should be able to figure it out :) I am stumped because the game recognises the 1080 degrees of rotation, proven by the fact that the graph matches the range of my wheel, yet letting the game choose for each car is still wrong and its like driving a truck getting through basic corners..

Appreciate the reply.

Thanks!

4. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Double check steering help is off in settings/ difficulty.
    I would love to learn more about your Diy servo.

Leo Gala and R.Noctua like this.
  5. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Steve, thanks for that. I did find a little while ago that I had some steering setting on, I got rid of it but that didn't help or didn't fully cure the problem.

Who know how some of those setting get set when you are not looking..

Right now if the in game wheel is 90 degrees I am needing to move my wheel about 120 degrees to get it there.

Steve, the dd servo I put together was from the opensimwheel project. Easy to do, buy some off the shelf parts. Flash a firmware or two, throw things in a little box or leave it all hanging perilously...

Bolt a rim to the motor shaft and off you go.. Martin Ascher has started to make a tutorial for building one here, with costs http://www.ascher-racing.com/wp-content/uploads/OpenSimwheel-Tutorial.pdf it is using one of the more expensive options so it can be done cheaper but compared to a bodnar wheel its already very cheap.

You can get an idea from a few pics I have here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gtuu7jnxtuv9lb2/AABKAA2R1knp9Byv9LNSxZfga?dl=0

6. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Really appreciated are those links. I am a miller/turner by trade and have access to some old machinery. Something I have always wanted to start is my own sim wheel base. Sorry for the slight off topic and I couldn't help you with the wheel alignment problem.

R.Noctua likes this.
  7. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

No problem Steve, if you are on iracing there is also a large thread there in the hardware section. Otherwise I use Chrome with translation to look at the german forums that will be linked to in the tutorial document.

I expect you will see them pop up all over the place. In the last couple weeks there are at least a dozen people I know of making one. Dennis, a person who made a board to help with the wiring has sold something like 70 of them. Thats not everyone of course but there seems to be a healthy group building them.

Nothing at all like any other wheel I have tried. It is a beast, its fast, it has huge FFB and nothing like it in the price range. Ah, except the accuforce which I think is certainly worth keeping an eye on as it is also a servo DD wheel that can be had for $1700 or so.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

What kind of software do you have available for your settings? Because setting ingame to, say, 1080º doesn't translate well because then your Formula cars will turn like a bus. Pretty much all cars will. Maybe you can set your wheel to 540º and the same ingame, it will not be as responsive (maybe 450 would be better) overall as open wheelers would do better on 360, but it'd at least be matching.

9. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

I have a tool that I can set what the total for the wheel will be, e.g. 1080, 900, 540 etc.

For my other sims I just have it at 1080 and they set it per car just as I expect that rf2 should or is at least trying to do. It works with the other ones so I was hoping I had missed something silly but I am getting the feeling I haven't and am getting unlucky for some reason or another.

Thanks!

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

OMG this has happened to me more than once in ISI based sims, lol. One time i even uninstalled pretty much my entire system because I couldn't figure it out, lol!