Wheel positions

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by sthomsen, May 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. sthomsen

sthomsen Registered

Hi,

So I'm having trouble getting a model working as I believe it should work in 3DS Max (2021). I'm kind of able to get things going, but it doesn't seem like I'm going about it the right way. Based on the example within the CarSceneExample folder, it appears the tires can be located at their correct locations in the model, with their pivot points must be centered on the tire. I've tried placing the tires at their correct location, resetting XForm and using the "adjust pivot only" tool to ensure the pivot and object centre are both at the exact centre point of the tire (same as the chassis file). This seems to match the car modding reference info online.

When I try to replicate this in my own model, some things appear OK - the other car components (with pivot centre in 3DS Max at 0,0,0) all show up fine. The wheels however are all over the place. I can't say exactly, but they appear to pivot around their intended axis with an offset - you can see in the images the tire offset in one direction and the wheel rim offset in the other (opposite) direction.

3DS Max file:
    Example02a.png
    In game image: Example02b.png

I've tried to play around with the wheelbase figures (using zero and the actual required wheelbase figures), chassis file values, but haven't been able to resolve this. Note that the bottom of my car body (the tray in the 3DS Max image above) is at a zero height, the wheel centres are 0.235m above the zero plane and so due to their larger radius protrude slightly below the zero plane.

I've managed to get the wheels in the right location IF I place them (and all wheel related objects such as brake disk and hub) at 0,0,0. Ideally I'd like to be able to model with them in the correct location - though if I have to work this way I can handle it. Where it goes from being an annoyance to a problem is where the movable suspension objects come into play. Within the debris file I've adjusted the inboard and outboard positions correctly, however the suspension components don't function at all correctly.

3DS Max file:
    Example01a.png
    In game image:
    Example01b.png
    The suspension members (tie rod and two suspension members represented by cones). Interestingly, the tie rod inner mounting point appears to be correct while the suspension members are way offset to the left. This is the problem I was describing above.
    Example01c.png

So - am I making a mistake with my workflow or understanding, and is there anything I should be checking? I'd really appreciate the help, this seems to be my biggest hurdle at this stage (though I'm sure something else will come up!).