What's with the Brabham?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minibull, Aug 20, 2013.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

How true.
    Look at 30s cars, Auto Unions and Mercedes were doing over 300km/h even then, but they were racing in Autobahns, or similar tracks.
    When racing went to closed (or airport derived) circuits with chicanes (to close the loop) and when engines after WWII fuel restrictions were allowed to go full capacity,full power, and at the same time went veeery lighter, they did need wings to stay on ground and not go airborne (a contradiction isnt it:) )

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013
  2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Fully agree on the popularity argument. I'd much rather have a few cars or full grid of one year, than endless scattered vehicles that can't be pitted together in direct competition. To support my argument:

I'd prefer cars (licensed or fantasied named, like some in GPL) to match the Brabham - such as Eagle, Lotus, Ferrari, and Honda - over the Brabham, a 1937 Mercedes, one 1950s, one 1970s car, one 1980s car, and some middle of the pack 1990s F1 car.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I have the Eagle licensed. Lotus want more than I'd see us paying, Ferrari hahah no way, and Honda I'm talking to, and have been for a long time. BRM are reasonable, but not signed.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

4. 88mphTim

Cooper also reasonable.

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

An image better suited than words to portray my response to your response (loved the transparency too). While you may not get Lotus or Ferrari, certainly a close fantasy substitute can be developed (leaving the rest to the community). Anyway,

[​IMG]

6. Mauro

Mauro Registered

+1

this will be a dream! :)

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Things does not help imo is the 3D appearance of rims, it makes the rims look flat and bigger
    I think.

I agree with TJC from the very first second I saw it looked like it was on steroids.

Looking at this blueprint you can see it is slightly less " bulbous" where TJ points out
    [​IMG]

You can also see the general tyre profile and size difference which just does not relate to the model at all.

The wheel track seems to be the same front and rear in rF2.

Also the car has no rake when it obviously does from every pic you see.

I think the closest the model gets is looking from the rear view but it is still too high off the ground.

Reminds me more of a landrover the anything

8. 88mphTim

Isn't that a BT19?

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Why me gets picked on ? lol

There is pictures above not BT20 and all you mentioned was Goodyear tyres to him.
    That is Zandvoort and a BT19 you responded ........

[​IMG]

lol

The tub is the same in BT19 / BT20
    imho the model ever slightly too bulbous.

I will stick to it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
  10. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

BLUEPRINTS ON eBAY!? Oh man, I need to look. I'd love some of that gold for my walls!

Agree. As personal visual preference I'd like the smaller fronts as the car looks much nicer that way.

And that is the single greatest contribution made to rF2, in my opinion. I want to race it, too.

I agree; except about Spa. Maybe in an F1 it's diabolical, but in the F2 it's an absolute dream to drive. In any case; I fully support the addition of a 1967 variant of Mosport, Watkins Glen and Kyalami. I'd also throw my support behind Mont Tremblant (I know I know, not F1 that year...) and Zandvoort. All wonderful circuits. All which need to be in rF2.

^ This :) Also love to see the Lotus 43, for kicks.

Excellent news. Howsabout a Howsten to fill in some gaps? ;)

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I'd love 1967 cars due to their variety and the great changes from 1966, but I'll settle for what we can get if it's proper like that:).

12. 88mphTim

I was corrected about the tires by someone I believe would know, so I think we made a mistake in manufacturer, or a mix up.

13. tjc

tjc Registered

Ahh well, mistakes do happen... I`m sure this will be fixed up with a version update or something?

:)

If the guys could trim a bit of that middle section (of the body, not the tyres :p) too Tim that would be nice. :)

14. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Another problem is that F1 back in the day was not like modern F1. They actually developed the car as they went along and would race in non-championship events. The car at one event would be very different from a car at another event. They were experimenting without a wind tunnel on the track- OTJ testing. So it could be that what ISI has in-game could be correct for a brief period of history as much as any other post in this thread.

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

This goes against interviews I've seen from drivers and mechanics, who said the car was pretty much the same all season for all tracks, only changing gear ratios and sometimes suspension settings.

16. 88mphTim

Yeah. I think it might be graphical. Not sure the car would work the way it does if not. But I let the car guys know what we think is wrong. Up to them.

17. 88mphTim

It's all relative really. Cars were developed in minute amounts compared to today's cars. Chapman, for example, would setup the cars for his drivers, and he'd use the setup from the previous year, because things didnt change enough to warrant much else (though experienced drivers like Hill would ask mechanics to change things, and he'd get in trouble for doing it).

18. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

Talking of Chapman and Lotus, it always used to baffle the Lotus mechanics how Jim Clark managed to get such even wear on all his tyres no matter what setup they gave him! Jack Brabham used his rears more than he did his fronts. It was the opposite with Dan Gurney and John Surtees. The amazing thing about Jim was that his tyre wear was the same on all four corners of the car and that he used substantially less rubber than anyone else!

19. 88mphTim

Story here about Graham Hill being 'awkward' by wanting to make setup changes.
    http://youtu.be/yJ-ipDK4ZWQ?t=26m25s

26mins in. Then 28mins it talks about how Chapman ran things.

20. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I agree with this. For example, Malaysia is just incredible with the 60s F1 cars. Essington is a close second and ISI modern Silverstone is very fun, too. And Revival Racing 60s F1 races on these tracks had good participation and were excellent races. Other tracks we are testing are Orchard Lake, Sebring, Bahrain, Hockenheim, Texas, Fuji and Hidden Valley. Not all work, of course. We tested Topeka and there was nowhere to pass.

For anyone interested, I have added a bunch of 60s reports to rFactor 2 MatchMaker Statistics Tableau integration test here --> Link