What's with people not caring about looks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Feb 26, 2017.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I think Historic Monza would have to be one of the ugliest tracks in any Sim i've ever played . That was made around the same time as Spa ? wasnt it ?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Not sure. Haven't seen it but I feel drawn to like an accident seen.:p I'll have to look.

Drathuu and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Well people , if you are anything like me and HATE aliasing with a passion and have been following the guide set by ISI (as i have been) about only using AA ingame and not in GPU control panel . Well...
    After hours of testing every AA setting (in combo) with ingame AA i finally figured out Turn OFF in game AA settings completely and only use GPU AA settings . More specifically..
    nVidia Inspector : All default except
    8xQ [8x Multisampling]
    2x Sparse Grid Supersampling .
    Done .
    Ive tested 90% of tracks in my game and all are substantially better than using in game settings and i have no more transparant trees .
    Before doing this i removed CBash and Shaders and let the game generates new ones . steamapps/common/rFactor 2/UserData/Log, drag CBash and Shaders to desktop and delete (no real need to keep them as the game will generate new )
    http://www.simracingpro.com/threads/rfactor-2-graphics-settings.3709/
    Sorry for using this link but i cant find it in this forum .

Edit: just to let you know , i play in 4k with a GTX 1070 with these settings is the best i can do and maintain 60fps pretty much everywhere . Even better performance now than previously because this was my same settings but i also had in game set to max AA also but with a lot more flicker and jaggies .

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    vegaguy5555, stonec and Fanapryde like this.
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

It came shortly after Spa I think. Even that track would look good with some more contrast and saturation, the problem with Monza is that all trees are a grey mass and you get the feeling the color has been compressed somehow (same problem as with Lime Rock).

Guimengo, vegaguy5555 and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I agree . It suck because they could be such great tracks to race on in 2017 not 2009.lol

Guimengo and vegaguy5555 like this.
  6. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Yes, you improved the overall scene colours and light a lot. Agreed about DX version, specially because Project Cars used to look great even during DX-9 era... so the problem is more related to the shaders themselves and bound to the overall tone map. To migrate from DX-9 to DX-11 and keep using the same set of shaders coding will do nothing IMHO.

peterchen, Guimengo and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  7. Vranq

Vranq Registered

rF2 doesn't look bad it just doesn't look as good as other sims. I don't like the look of Project Cars but i like how Raceroom looks. Raceroom is still DX9 too and proves that rF2 doesn't use the full potential of DX9. So i think DX11 isn't really needed to improve graphics quality.

ericRacer, 2ndLastJedi and Emery like this.
  8. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

With Project Cars 2, GTR3, and the likes of Raceroom, who are going to the unreal engine, having "ok" graphics will not cut it for much longer.
    Everything else is catching up with rfactor 2 on the features list, and people will vote with their wallets.

2ndLastJedi, F1Aussie and peterchen like this.
  9. sman

sman Registered

I have also GTX1070 i run in nvidia configuration ( not inspector , dont know if its the same or different) everything on default and Ansiotropische filtering = application controlled / Antialiassing FXAA = off and i run rf2 with 100 up to 215 FPS when my screen flickers its because off using Trackmap GID ( its not Always on every track ) just press ctrl +F and flickering stops

ericRacer likes this.
  10. sman

sman Registered

dont look to the sky watch the road ;)

11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I just hope DX11 brings a bit of a performance boost so I can turn a few things on and others up.
    At least when all your concentration is on the car a few tenths ahead nothing else matters.

12. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Gtx 680 on my end. I tried your inspector settings and the trees look much better. Before I had all standard. But I still have transparent trees from far distance. But now it isn't as bad as before. Thanks ;)

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  13. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

It's hard to ignore when it's blasting bright white and I turn my head and it's black inside. It's distracting! So I turned down exposure to .4, I think it is. I just don't understand the need for it? It is 'virtual reality' not 'reality'. The sun isn't really there. It's just a picture! Besides, our eyes already have auto exposure!

2ndLastJedi and sman like this.
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

How are you adjusting exposure?

15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Inspector just gives a few more options to adjust. Well worth the download imo.
    The trackmap flicker is a different issue. If i turn off v-sync i hang around 90-110 fps but v-sync 60 fps is perfectly fine for me, looks smooth, Thank anyway.
    The flicker is crawl, comes from fences and grandstands (a good example is Nola Indy or COTA) but i fixed it with my AA settings. :)

16. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

It's in options, visual down to exposure. Its set at 1.0. Just turn it down until it looks good but it doesn't turn it off which you can do in AC.

17. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

RaceRoom looks good to me in screenshots, when I'm "in game" it looks pretty strange, I prefer rF2 more than that one :D

juanchioooo likes this.
  18. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

lol. Show how well i use my eyes if its just in options. Thanks :)

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I prefer R3E textures and lighting but man do thoses cars handle weird. People say it has the best handling model but i don't get it.
    It just shows how much "personal preference" plays its part.

20. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Raceroom looks great dx9, rfactor 2 has regular quality that should improve ...
    If dx11 does not improve the current, it will be a disappointment, but raceroom shows that only with dx9 it looks great