What's this I hear about Oulton Park?

Discussion in 'Locations' started by P.S.R., Jun 12, 2015.

1. Tosch

Tosch Registered

You can define a different fast path in the talent file (rcd file) of the mod. I think there should be a list in your AIW thread. If a car has a defined fast path in the rcd file you can also create a "loose" path (AIP file, path is not included in the AIW) in devmode and put it in the settings folder of the track.
    In my opinion it's almost impossible to create one fast path that works for all cars. Atm I'm trying to create a new fast path for Essington, but the camaro AI fails every time at the fast left right combination at the beginning of sector 3.

Here is the GTR.rcd for instance.
    Here is the list I created 2 years ago.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

aahh yeah that's it Tosch thanks knew I saw it somewhere! been a long time since I played around with that so the memories not so good :)

3. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Off topic, I know, but I wonder if with replay thingy that matf1 talked about if fast drivers could help by sharing replays that AIW SMEs could "bring in game" using their skills?

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

would be better, to open a new Thread about AIW?

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Aaah, WET-path is present in most ISI tracks! That is something! Apologize earlyer post ;)

Although not all historic cars uses alternative line, example: Howstons.

And an own line for GT1? Makes this sense?

6. matf1

matf1 Registered

I know it's not what people want to hear, but the whole reason for mentioning that feature was to let people know it exists, and that it is easy to work out how to do it.

We all know that old saying... Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or teach him to fish and feed him for life.

The reasons are many and have been well highlighted in the previous posts. Namely, you just can't take all variables into account, unless it is your sole project... It's just too much work.
    This is not ISI's problem. They have to work with the same tools, but you can bet when whoever is doing the AIW get's fed up, they'll be shooting frustrated emails to the programmers. Then we see the fruits of that released to us end users after it's been tested somewhat.

In previous conversations/interviews... I can't recall. ISI have said they are aware of some of the issues with the AI system globally(not the AI performance itself) and will be addressing it.
    The scope of that is unknown, the scheduling of it's release is unknown. It may even be a complete redesign. No-one wants to spend the best part of a week writing up guides and making how-to videos when they are trying to build cars, tracks, skins, sounds, Apps, plugins etc etc only for it to be released next patch. Well not many it seems!

I'll say it black and white so there is no confusion.

You will get help if you attempt and fail, specific help if required.
    You will not get help just asking someone to do it for you.
    It's real easy and the benefits are massive. The sooner you get started the sooner you can spend the rest of your days loving this hobby even more than you do now.

Knowing everything is not required, you just need some of the basics.
    To reiterate what I said earlier:
    Most AIW files that I've seen are actually ok as far as pits, garages and grids and that is the time consuming stuff. So all you need to do in most cases is to create reasonable paths.

How do you do so? Well simple. Load the rF2 Editor with the track setup already(Noel has great tools for this in the modding forum if doing it by hand is confusing.)
    Run some laps until you have a decent one.

Exit the track and load the replay and scroll just before you start the lap. Now hit resume and you will be in car (space to pause).
    In the menu, select AIW editor.
    Select the path you want to edit or create on the 'active' and 'visible' path fields(dropdown menu).
    Hit 'record new best path'.
    Let the replay complete the lap, save waypoints.... Done!

There may be a little cleanup required, for example I'll select 5 markers(just like selecting 5 files in windows) that run over the finish line, 1 on the line and two either side and select 'normalise curve'. This will stop them slowing down over the start/finish line but that is how quick and easy it is in most cases.

Step 1: get track into devmode (simple)
    Step 2: Drive around on it (simple)
    Step 3: Replay the lap you are happy with. (simple)
    Step 4: Record the replay to a path (simple)
    Step 5: Minor hand tweaks... If you want to, certainly not required. You will have to make sure there is not a kink (which you can smooth out if there is) over the start/finish line.
    Step 6: Pack it all back up in a rfcmp (simple)

The only way it could be any easier is if it was in the game proper and not devmode.
    But what is devmode?
    It's the game with a menu with some extra options for tweaking. Thats it!

It's not in Greek
    It's simple to do once you've worked out some basics
    It's both fun and amazing what you can do with a few simple edits
    You'll learn just about everything you need in an hour
    We're here to help you through it :)

It will take one person to make a tracks perfect AI up to a weeks worth of time.
    Poor Tosch with Nords, he must be a gibbering mess in the corner by now.
    It will take you (anyone) an evening to learn how to set it up and do it yourself. From that point forward, 10 minutes work for your night's racing session.

Feel free to create a dedicated thread and quote what you need.

7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

What I had in mind was offloading the driving work.

8. matf1

matf1 Registered

Come now, you can't drive a clean lap?

That really is the benefit of doing your own. If done right, you can tail them the whole lap, depending on 'your' style.
    Examples include taking wide entry to hairpins, lining up Esses so they can be straight lined.

A lot of ISI's tracks AIW, while robust and varied, have been improved for specific vehicle types making them so close to perfect is still astounds me each time I experience it.

9. Phathry25

Phathry25 Registered

I tried your replay trick, the game just hands control back to me when I click resume. What am I missing?

10. redapg

redapg Registered

And what is with the smoothing of the driven lines from pitpath in/out to mainpath? ;)

You are right, when you say everybody can do it. But that's just theoretical.
    Because if one unexperienced person will do it, the danger that he causes more mess than doing a good job is endless.

AIW files are really sensitive files which can cause many many unwanted behaviour.

I do it since ~8 Years now and i am still learning.....

11. matf1

matf1 Registered

Yeah I know mate. I'm not trying to convince anyone to fix and publish AIW. Only fix some small problems yourself with some knowhow.

It's going to take a bit more time but here is an early draft if you want to try. *see thread in modding section.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

+1

13. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I'm not talking about for me. There were discussions about multiple fast paths and I also remember someone saying it takes work to get the fast path so was just a brainstorm idea that it may be helpful for others to help. That's all. If not then that's fine too. Nothing more than an idea.

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

pls check your pm`s...

15. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  18. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

[​IMG]

More progress here

;)

19. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Bloody fantastic!

20. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Looks great. Remind me, you are improving mesh too correct?