What's this I hear about Oulton Park?

Discussion in 'Locations' started by P.S.R., Jun 12, 2015.

1. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Hello Marc. About the questions,

1 - Easy to fix. I'll talk to Digga to see if he wants to fix it.

2 - Are you using maximum AA possible ingame? Can you post some screens? I use everything at default too, but I'm able to use maximum possible AA, and maybe its because of that, I don't spot the problem on the lines.

Thank you guys

:)

2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hi Nuno,
    i`m using ingame highest AA and noticed similar z-fighting and e.g flickering on some caution lights.

Watching AI`s driving around i noticed another strange AI behavior, close to the chicane, sometimes they lose the car while braking & touching the left hand white line. I made a short video, quality is bad ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016
  3. Magus

Magus Registered

Really enjoying your work here guys, thanks again.

Just some feedback, using the Renault Clio on the International circuit, the AI have some difficulty, especially on the approach to Druid's corner, they spin very easily.

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Just want to add, when i fire up e.g. Lime Rock Park, i have some z-fighting and flickering on objects, too. In the meanwhile, I`m really not sure, if this behavior is track or rf2 engine related.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thanks. I, too, am using max AA. The point is that the AA is gorgeous on everything except the white lines, so there is something different about them than all else. I believe it is an albedo and or texture transparency setting because that solved similar problems on other tracks I have helped to test. I believe it also solves the flickering of the grid painted lines or other lines that are perpendicular to the track direction.

And yes, the z-fighting is easy to fix, but so often doesn't get done and ruins the immersion qualities of a track. I should add that there is some in the trees right at the end of the pit straight, too. I think the solution there is just to move a tree slightly farther apart from another one to prevent them from overlapping. And lastly, almost all the tire barriers (the rounded clusters of tires that are "wrapped" in some form of barrier protection that also holds the tires together (some are black/dark others are red and white striped) also flicker as the layers must be too close together. Again, they all do it, so hopefully a change to one that works will solve it for all!

This truly is almost perfect, so I hope a couple of small tweaks will make it a truly seminal track for rF2.

6. Emery

Emery Registered

Love the rich detail! Unfortunately framerates are scraping the bottom of the barrel compared to other tracks.

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Detail comes at a performance cost... welcome to PC Gaming ;)

8. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Well, I can see the flickering on trees, banners and tires (barely) but i still can't see it on lines.

I'm pretty sure that when you get primary lines fixed the grid line will be fixed too. It must be something related to transparent AA. The trees are in chroma but lines are in alpha transparency. Do you have Transparency AA true in player.json?

"Transparency AA":true,
    "Transparency AA#":"Soften edges around alpha test objects",

If you have you need to check your driver options.

I only see jaggies if I disable AA. (Using Nvidia here)

Show me a Screenshot to compare

9. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

In wet conditions it would be normal... In dry not so normal... I'll check the TDF file again to see if I'm missing something...

Maybe its a AIW problem... In that case I would sugest to AIW "Pro's" :)P) step ahead and make new AIW files because I'm a complete noob on that matter :p

:)

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I guess, you`re right, it`s a AIW problem. Well...redapg promised to make a new one for oulton. Since he was banned from this forum, probably we need somebody else, who can make the new AIW.

11. Magus

Magus Registered

Just to add regarding AIW, I watched the Clio's approaching Druid, they run wide onto the grass,which causes them to spin off on the International track. Not tried the other configurations.

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Sorry, I was not clear Nuno. The flickering is caused by the z-fighting, which you know about with sign banners, etc.

The white lines have excess jaggies (or what seems like a lack of AA) while the other textures all look like normal AA (whatever level is applied). This may be worse with AMD versus nVIDIA.

The reason I think it is a transparency setting or albedo setting is because other tracks have had the exact same issue with only the white lines and altering those settings fixed it. When the white lines have this AA problem (whatever is the cause), they also seem to shimmer (not flicker) when viewed from a low angle (like bumper cam or a low-slung open wheel cockpit). When viewed from above, like a track cam, they often look fine. The shimmering (which could also seem like flickering) AA issue also disappears when you are close to the line. So when you are right on top of the line, examining with a magnifying glass ;), it looks perfect. From a distance, suddenly it deteriorates and starts to shimmer.

Hope this is a more useful description. If you look at the stairs/railings going up to the overhead walkways at Toban, you will see they are problematic. The metal separation fences at the entrance to the Toban pit lane (normal direction) also are full of jaggies--likely because the same transparency settings are not applied as to all the other objects in the track, which look great. Even the masters miss these details! Do you see anything different in those stairs railings or the silver metal fences near the beginning of the Toban pit lane?

13. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

There are a few things I do to try and eliminate the z fighting. Following these rules I usually get very minimal issues.

1/ avoid using any bias on textures
    2/ avoid double sided texture
    3/ make sure there is more than 0.01 gap between polys

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

15. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I have had this issue before and its a strange one. You would think you would get a missing texture error but you don't. The only way I could fix it was to remake a new material.

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2016
  17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

C6.R AI are spinning there too, and are also having major issues through Island's Bend and Knickerbrook.
    Lap 1 is basically a crash fest, cars off the track everywhere.
    Some simple corridor tweaks would probably take care of that.

Also, I'm getting an FPS dip as soon as I approach the start/finish straight (locked 60 FPS goes down to 57-58, very unusual on my machine, usually stays at a solid 60).

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Hex, could you help with the AIW? Request above and you know you would be the perfect person to do it ;)

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I get most of the time around 100 FPS, with my old office pc (r9270x), maybe 2-3 FPS drop on S/F. Settings everything Max, except Track details (High) and Reflections (low), Camaro GT3, 20 AI. But tbh, those very detailed tracks dont coming without any cost...

20. Magus

Magus Registered

+1 :)