What's this I hear about Oulton Park?

Discussion in 'Locations' started by P.S.R., Jun 12, 2015.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Wow...we're all looking forward to seeing the fruits of your long labour. Do you need any help with AIW, for example. There are many others who would vounteer to help I am sure given the status of this iconic track.

2. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Thanks for update and all your hard work, Nuno![emoji3][emoji106]

Edit - If possible please let us know here when done [emoji41]

3. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Thank you Marc. As I talked to redapg some months ago I'll let him to do that work but good to know that there are more people willing to help... I'll need someone to do Milagres AIW too... :)

I'll let digga release it as update but I'll inform all people once he do it.

now just to tease a little

Before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

;)

4. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

If I can suggest for the future, you could normalize your splines before lofting - to avoid all those non linear polygon density changes along the longitude which are not so good for both collision database and FFB consistence, and they are also a bad friend when you have to manage cambers and R/L edges vertical flow (too high density could create problems with tight corners tangents).

A good modern standard for rF2 could be to normalize down to 1/1.5mt longitudinal quad size. This is a good resolution to describe corners, low frequency 3D bumps, cambers and crossfallings.

5. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Thanks for the tip Tuttle but the problem is, the road was create with the edges from original mesh that match the terrain edges and if i normalized splines created from that operation they will no longer match the terrain... the main porpuse was to avoidstrange polygons and duplicated points as it had before,

[​IMG]

The original track have polygons with size of all track and was only tesselated so the stair effect remained. I needed to keep the edges, create the road with cross sections and aplying a surface on that. After that I apllied a mesh smooth in all road but edges to get more density removing the stair effect and keep the boundaries... 10 times more complicated than doing tack from scratch...

Probably there's a better way to do that but its not in my yet limited knowlegde... :)

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Honestly I personally think the road mesh is the 70% (at least) of a track (for a sim), in terms of importance... so I would redo the entire road and edges and then I would retopoly new edges with old terrain. Then, if the actual road mesh can be considered correct in terms of modeling you could keep centerline, left edge and right edge...and then normalize all 3 splines and redo the loft using edges as rails, to rebuild cambers, vertical alignment and crossfalls. Of course you'd need to repaint 3D bumps in this scenario (if they are there).

I think it would take 2 weeks of works but then you will have a pretty good road mesh with a better and cleaner UVW, a more friendly collision database and better tire/chassis FFB. :)

I know it's a boring task...this is why I said "for the future". :p

Keep up the nice work! ;)

7. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Two weeks for you are 2 months for me :p.

I understand your point of view m8 but with my limited time to this hobby I would became so bored that I would never finish that... To do that all terrain should be re-done because that's a complete mess and after all I was doing a new track from scratch.

[​IMG]

Maybe someday... But as i told before I want to finish my scratch made projects. This was only a way to make this track more driveable because visualy its already in a good level in my pov.

:)

8. Flaux

Flaux Registered

So...will there be an update? Has there been an update? Any news?

9. DA-DIGGA

DA-DIGGA Registered

10. Magus

Magus Registered

I was trying out the updated Knockhill today and was wondering what happened to this project and voila! Thank you.

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks mate!

12. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Danke!!!

13. Mauro

Mauro Registered

thanks guys!! great work

Oulton no chicane layout is one of best track ever to drive

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Almost perfection!! Much appreciated work on this popular track and it shows. Attention to detail all over the place!

There are two glaring issues, though, that I hope are relatively easy fixes:

1) the usual z-fighting on advertising banners--only on the black and yellow ones off in the distance as you approach turn two after leaving the pits. These flicker in cockpit or bonnet views typically, but not bumper cam.

2) I don't know why, because the screen shots look terrific, but I get extreme jaggies and shimmering on the white painted lines, getting worse the farther away from the POV they are. Literally everything else in the track environment is rock solid and shows no signs of AA issues whatsoever, but all the white painted lines are problematic. Is this just an AMD thing? Albedo setting? I am running 100% default settings (because I just fresh installed Steam version), but if there is something I should adjust, please let me know.

Thanks again for a huge amount of work and an awesome result.

15. emha76

emha76 Registered

Thank You guys!!!

16. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Respect for this fantastic update. Thanks to all who still care that rf2 is staying fresh and interesting :)

17. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

Simply outstanding! Thank you very much.

18. TPG

TPG Registered

Thx for the update guys! :cool:

19. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Thanks Nuno and Digga :)

20. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

+1

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk