What's this I hear about Oulton Park?

Discussion in 'Locations' started by P.S.R., Jun 12, 2015.

1. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Did I miss something? Is it legit? Where do I get it?

2. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

What if it's not legit? Do you still want it?

3. Andy_rsrf

Andy_rsrf Registered

- yes, have you...

- no, it's virtually...

- around the corner on the Internet...

and the other 225 race tracks for rF2 also.:)

4. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Ok thanks. I'm sticking with legit stuff only so I guess I'll have to pass if it is not announced here. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't under a thread with a different name :(

5. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
  6. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Registered

7. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Its converted from a 10 year old codies game, but its had many months of work, dare I say it might as well be scratch built. I personally asked the modder to work on this circuit and he obliged, his work, portimao, Road America, Slovakiaring etc etc etc is exceptional, if you feel guilty using a slightly grey area track, do what I do and buy the original.
    I'm sorry but probably 98% of 3rd party tracks in rf2 and AC are from other sources.... some are crap, but some have had a lot of work and are spectacular, worth the install. Just my 2 cents worth.

8. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

And just to be clear, I also have oulton from pcars too, which is stunningly beautiful in rf2, but even my page has some standards :)
    So it remains private.

9. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I forgot to mention Dubai its bloody awesome :)

10. SRosswick

SRosswick Registered

Exactly what he said. All of the tracks we have come from somewhere... I think a lot of people like to put their head in the sand when it comes to this sort of thing. I have no problems running a 'gray area track' that is technologically outdated and a lot of work is redone to bring life into a forgotten piece of art. There is a fine line however, and there is a gentleman's agreement when it comes to this sort of thing. I think the kids have a hard time with that part and don't use much common sense and kind of ruin it for everyone.

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Well if there was a time after which ripping is OK I think ten years would be it. HOWEVER, I wouldn't think GAME age would be enough, because, for example, new GPL mods are still in development but original track from game released ten years ago and like you say buying game is a good thing which I wouldn't hesitate to do.

Edit - Wow :D:D:D Just tried it and it is perfectly adequate! Ended up ~0.5 off the pace @100% but was first race attempt and went off track several times so I didn't see AI in action much of the time but surely will be able to in next few attempts but based on time alone so far so good. Thanks for sharing this :):)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
  12. coops

coops Banned

I honestly believe if you just use the road layout and do everything else is made from scratch i would use it without a problem but most are just str8 copies which is totally wrong. As for CAR mods i believe you have to start from scratch.

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

This Oulton Park works mostly fine but a couple of track limit detection issues can really spoil things, like having tires still on the white line and get track cut warnings. The first corner gives you a Wrong Way message, so keep "abusing" things and you get a penalty.

14. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I think it just knows you cheat Gui, ha ha v1.1 by the weekend :)

15. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

16. Phathry25

Phathry25 Registered

Has the road fidelity been upped? The hills are a little too notchy on the current release. Especially the dip before the s/f. :)

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

A few sharp angles indeed but I don't see them guys being able to address that aspect.

18. yusupov

yusupov Registered

dubai would look great in rf2's engine...pm? :eek:

19. Phathry25

Phathry25 Registered

Why not? Are these being converted purely in something like 3DSE? Surely for realroad to look nice they've had to update the mesh somehow.

https://www.facebook.com/simracingforlife

20. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

From what I know, the original was something like 2 polys wide, this version has had the mesh vastly increased, I can fart about with 3dsimed but these guys are using max and do the job properly. Latest realroad shaders etc. Just don't use it if its infererior to all the other Oulton Parks available :)