What's the best new content?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by green serpent, May 14, 2020.

1. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Hi all, I havn't played rf2 for about 12 months... the 'ol pc was on her last legs and after a hard life, well sadly she wasn't quite up to the job anymore. But good news, I got me a new pc!

Anyway long story short, I'm hoping to take my rig to a mates place tonight and fire up rf2. Without opening up a can of worms, can I have some recomendations of what is at the top tier of qulity/fun as far as new cars and tracks?

Or is it just all good?

Any recomendations appreciated.

Thanks guys

atomed likes this.
  2. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Isn't it easiest to figure that out for yourself ?

I generally stick to steam workshop content these days - it's far easier to manage, but I still do have a few manually installed mod's, where content hasn't moved over to Steam.

Here's the URL for the most popular stuff from the last 12 months:
    https://steamcommunity.com/workshop...readytouseitems&actualsort=trend&p=1&days=365

My own personal rule of thumb - and I appreciate others may have very different opinions, is I typically subscribe to any content that appeals to me, which has 4 or 5 stars out of 5 on Steam.

Other than that - recent stuff that I personally like:
    1) F1 cars from ASR
    - https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198001407794/myworkshopfiles/?appid=365960

2) the NZ tracks from the Toyota racing series, made by Engineering Consult - I'm from NZ and I love these
    - https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198368459997/myworkshopfiles/?appid=365960

->>> If you do choose to grab those, you should also get one of the Tatuus cars too
    - https://steamcommunity.com/id/studio-397/myworkshopfiles/?appid=365960
    The FT-60 was the actual car used in the Toyota NZ racing series and I really like it, but given that I hate Halo's on racing cars, I should really try out the PM-18 or USF-17, as they're both pretty new and don't have a Halo.

3) The 1986 F1 mod from Chief Wiggum & co has been updated in the last year - last updated - July 2019
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1660095292&searchtext=1986

...those 3 suggestions and the Steam link are enough to get you started I think and others can let you know what they think as they see fit.
    ...you should obviously also check any recent free content from Studio 397. You'll find that in the link above for the Tatuus cars, as they made those too.

3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

In a perspective of high level of realism, great feeling, excellent FFB and having almost exclusively cars using the latest physics (and often graphics) technologies, I use all of the car content 100% S397 ( ie from the last 3 years, paid or not).
    (I don't use USF2000 + Nissan GT500, too old and old tire model)

I also use Kartsim content and the following 3 cars which for me are the cars that are not S397 which are the most realistic coming from SlowMotion Group :
    F3, Palatov D4 (AWD and RWD), Metalmoro MR1.

This corresponds to almost 40 cars, relatively varied.

Consider buying Monaco (azur), Sebring, Nurburgring and Le Mans if you like the Layout (laser).

I only have that installed.
    I bought the Reiza pack, it is installed by default and I am not using it.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  4. dylbie

dylbie Registered

VirusGR42 and Mauro like this.
  5. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

And the Formula E Gen2!? that car is totally underrated, is EXTREMELY FUN, and yes, sound like a mad blender but the driving experience is a blast.

VirusGR42 and Remco Majoor like this.
  6. Alexander76

Alexander76 Registered

Steam offers regular discounts for all games and add-ons.I've been tracking rfactor 2 for several months, but I don't see any discounts.I wanted to buy some extensions.Does this simulator have discounts?

7. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

atomed and muz_j like this.
  8. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

9. muz_j

muz_j Registered

...I fully agree and I have a lot of that content. They are definitely good links and some of that stuff is top notch.
    I recommend browsing those sites over a couple of cold beers and downloading anything that looks good.
    Just be aware you can end up with multiple versions of the same tracks - even from the same author.
    I spent some time afterwards checking it all and testing things where I had duplicates and then removing stuff I felt wasn't worth the disk space.
    Again - you'd better keep a few beers handy, as that can be thirsty work :)

t0p5ecret likes this.
  10. bwana

bwana Registered

Hey serpent, get into the Porsche cup cars. You have been around rf2 long enough to know quality

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

In my opinion best car that comes from S397 is Senna. Also they run open server with it and Porsche Cup at Nords today.

atomed likes this.
  12. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

@green serpent if you let this thread run long enough you'll have been recommended every single mod and DLC car that exists for rF2 ;)

That being said, I'd also strongly recommend the three DPI cars @Akela_DE recommended.
    DLC wise I like the Reiza packs most of all.

13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I like both these cars, they are fun to drive. With USF2000 you can really play at and over the limit. They still use CPM tires so not that old.
    I came to conclusion that CPM 2.0 is not that groundbreaking improvement as you'd think. . You can have more realistic tires pre CPM 2.0 than later ones. It all depends on a parameters a modder puts and often it's just guesswork. But when they are well tuned like the ones used in GT3 and Endurance Packs then of course they should be more realistic at high speeds.
    Also Nissan GT500 has been updated visually, but I also rarely drive it because tires wear off quickly. It's more demanding than GT3.

14. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Thanks all for your responses. I look forward to getting balls deep into it again with some of these recommendations.