What the hell are you doing..??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ForthRight, Aug 22, 2013.

1. deathofmarat

deathofmarat Registered

Good.

2. yifter

yifter Registered

I recently played some COD4 online(again), rf1 in our league, rf2 for fun, but not too much, to not lose my "abilities" in the league, and some "retro-gaming" sometimes, Fallout 3 lately and some X-COM: Enemy unknown, 3rd playthrough :)

Also, Build 240 is not sticky anymore as of now ;)

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

95 % rF2 and 5 % iRacing.

4. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Over the past few years I've gotten more and more into sim racing. I think I bought just about every single sim there is lol. I mostly play these sims though.

Rf2
    Rf1
    Net Car Pro
    RaceRoom Racing Experience
    Ferrari Virtual Academy
    Race07 and all expansions
    Game Stock Car
    Formula Truck
    GTR2
    F1 2012
    Euro Truck Simulator 2
    Dirt 3
    Shift 2

Grid 2 which I only ever played for about 4 hours before regretting spending money on it and never playing it again lol

Power and Glory
    I-Racing
    Asseto Corsa Tech preview.

I play all of the sims listed above off and on, I tend to like to play many different ones so that I don't get bored. Also I am really regretting not buying into Project C.A.R.S when I could. I want to play that one so badly.

5. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I only play rFactor 2. I might play iRacing if I wasn't cheap. Otherwise every other game I play feels like garbage on a stick so I stop after 5 or 10 minutes. rFactor 2 is the closest I've ever come to feeling like I'm actually driving a car while sitting in my Mom's basement eating cheetos and drinking a Dew.

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Well, for non-racing games, the new trple screens made me fire up Skyrim again.

My wife used to love our time together, when she used to see me. :eek:

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I unstickied old threads. The GS thread had no content anymore, it just linked to the rfnet site.

8. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
  9. Andrew McP

Andrew McP Registered

At the moment back issues mean iRacing is off the agenda because there's no point practicing for races which are too long for me to compete in (not that I get much satisfaction from online racing anyway, I just enjoy their cars & tracks and get bored by the lack of AI). So rF2 and pCARS are giving me my sim fix now... though since getting sucked into Last of Us on the PS3 I've started dabbling with GT5 again, reminding myself that the AMG Challenge content @ Nordschleife is right up there in my top five favourite immersive simming experiences.

pCARS still isn't giving me the same kind of physics buzz that rF2 does, but recent builds have started to give me cars which are pretty satisfying to climb into. That's been an unexpected and rather welcome surprise, and they have regular Time Trail type tests these days which are interesting. They're designed to test the latest tweaks to cars, but the 'killer feature' for me is the ability to look at the time trial leader board and choose which driver's lap you want to ghost race against. It's a great feature and learning tool.

But at the moment what's making me itch to turn on the sim machine down the desk is the rF2 Clio. I wasn't a Clio fan last time I tried it, but either I've woken up or something changed in the last release. Either way, fighting my way round Mid Ohio with the AI the other day was immensely entertaining, and the car felt really alive (in a good way).

In general though, at the moment I'm finding it hard to commit to sim racing for long. It's always been a very demanding mistress, eating time and making you work for the undoubted thrills it can offer. So I'm ashamed to say I'm more likely to be found creeping through Dead Space2 on the PC or Uncharted2 on the PS3, or even slobbed in front of Netflix than investing effort in my virtual racing career.

I think I just got old and lazy! Sim racing is a hobby for people with lots of time, lots of enthusiasm, or lots of talent. I find myself increasingly short of all three. :) But I'm grateful that excellent projects like rF2, and their hardcore supporters, are there when my wayward attention shifts focus and lands back here for more than a few minutes.

Overall I guess I only have one problem... life's short and there are too many great ways to 'waste' it. Including typing instead of driving. :->

10. schuee

schuee Registered

Texas Hold em......... Some Iracing and some Rfactor 2,and the rest of the time taking 3 kids to about 8 different sports everyweek.

11. ZMC888

ZMC888 Registered

Only RF2 but don't play it much. Need more tracks and some older tin-top cars.

12. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

It's not a sim but it's great to drive/race~NFS The Run.
    Battlefield 2142
    rF1
    RBR
    coop in BF3

13. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

lol

I'm lucky in that my girlfriend does actually like computer games, but it's still a bit one sided - she's happy for me to sit and watch her play Skyrim etc, but she's got no interest in watching me drive a sim.

When I started this thread it was mainly to find out what people are using for sim racing, but it's interesting to find out what other kind of games people are playing. As ZeosPantera said - we don't have to be married to sim racing, it just might be easier if we could be. ;)

14. tjc

tjc Registered

Ahh right... thanks Tim, thought I was losing it lol... :p

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Each in his own ways it seems.

Im old, Im lazy (it takes me months to assign a button and still dont know how the pitstops menu works), I dont have time (I get back from work at 10 or 11 at night but still manage to squeeze a couple of hours in the servers everynight), I dont have any talent (but I just manage to compete using my stubborness), enthusiasm though, I have enough to spare :D

Since I did marry RF2 almost two years ago, Ive never gone back to my long time favs such as GPL, RFactor, RBR.
    I dont even fire up FSX anymore, my X52 and pedals are dangerously filling up with dust, I promise Ill undust them when Oculus Rift is released, the temptation will be too big not to.

I always find it strange people not getting online though, I didnt too before RF2 and I was easily bored of sims, since I did it is a happy marriage :)

16. jjcook

jjcook Registered

That is a talent :cool:

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm pretty much using Iracing , doing the radical series

But I have hopes for rfactor 2 but I think it's going to take longer than I first thought to get to a good all round stage

I don't use AI & online competition is what I like, until good leagues start then I need to look else where
    Hopefully will not be to long

Hopefully next build will be another good one (noticeable improvements etc),
    Not sure if rft2013 is still coming ?

AC will hopefully be out for winter too, exciting times in sim racing hey

18. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Thanks for the work you are doing. It's looking very promising.

19. Andrew McP

Andrew McP Registered

In order to race online I need to be very well prepared, otherwise I'm a danger on the track, and run the risk of spoiling other people's races. So on iRacing I will typically do between half an hour and 2 hours' worth of practice (depending on how much I struggle with the track & setup), then 20 mins of qualification, right before my weekly race. And then it can all end in T1 if someone decides to try and mate with my car!

Some people thrive on that kind of stress. But my time on iRacing (the only time I've ever spent online since Quake1 CTF, and a little early GPL) has proved to me that while I see the attraction of racing real people, I enjoy this hobby far too much to take it so seriously, and -- as a result -- get so stressed over it.

Which means sticking to AI races, wherever possible. They don't scream at me when I mess up, don't complain if I have no practice and have to restart the race four times, and they don't steal points off me if I decide to give up after three laps and watch TV instead. :)

I've said before that for me iRacing (or perhaps, all online competition) is like going to the gym... I feel better for having done it, it probably makes me a better driver, and I still wish I was good at it. But I just can't relax and enjoy it! So I'm very grateful iRacing doesn't have AI, otherwise I might spend all my time there and not be able to appreciate the highly satisfying racing I can have with rF2's AI.

pCARS' AI is a different matter, but it's still early days for them. And as for AC... well, based on Kunos' twitter feed I'm not expecting miracles too soon, but it'll be interesting to see if any Italian "road craft" creeps into the code. :)

PS

> I promise Ill undust them when Oculus Rift is released,
    > the temptation will be too big not to.

Based on my experience with TrackIR I dn't think I'll ever be comfortable with Oculus Rift in racing games, but it might reawaken my dormant love of flight sims. It is almost 20 years ago exactly since I saw a preview for Tornado (and IndyCar Racing!) in September 1993's PCZone. I owned Tornado before I owned a PC. :0)

20. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

Right now I just hope to the departure of AssettoCorsa. I have all the simulators and the more fun it has given me is nkpro. All there is so far is very incomplete with high needs, so AssettoCorsa is my illusion. The Demotech seems sublime.
    rfactor 2 is a sim that I like, but the graphics optimization and I do not enjoy this sim.

If CA is not what I expect, I'll see you have to sell my wheel and leave the simulators, for now there is nothing worthwhile.