What Motivates All This Great Work

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by Deadpedal, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

It may seem obvious to everyone that money and incentives motivate people to do good work. That's true in many ways. But what about the many modders that create such beautiful works that we have had the privilege to download and enjoy for free - what motivates them? Why would ISI devote and invest so much time and effort on what could almost be characterized as a sim-racing operating system that depends on this seemingly odd behaviour for its continuing success? Of course they've seen it happen before with the first rFactor, but was that a fluke or something that is actually predictable?

It appears that there is actually science behind this. Might this explain why Tuttle went out and bought a couple of "used Khomo S700 tires" so he can continue to perfect his F3 mod? I think this goes a long way to explain a lot...

We should be no less thankful for their generosity.

2. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Definitely not a fluke; ISI's titles have had a long history of being extensively modded through the years of the F1 titles right back to SCGT. They made rF as a modding platform from the get-go, same as rF2.

3. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

For me, it's just a pleasure to create a track, do my best to get a good result, improve my skills. And also, race on it with my league mates.
    Plus, I'm unemployed, so I haven't found better thing to do :D

4. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Many games have thriving communities that mod, some much bigger than rf2's. I'm sure there are many reasons why people do it, but I'd personally do it simply to learn something interesting (if it is interesting to you). Another reason may be those at uni doing graphics course, etc, it's damn good experience for the field, producing textures, lighting, models, and so on.

5. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Positive and Negative motivators have been addressed in every management course I have done for many years . It is well known that money is pretty useless as a long term motivator when compared to something like recognition and self worth .

Too many people watch the news etc and come to the conclusion that the whole world is out to get whatever they can for themselves, that there are no longer any decent, kind, generous and selfless people, and this is simply not the case. Many people get the most enjoyment from doing things for other people.

You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you. ~John Wooden

I found the video quite interesting . Thanks.

6. martymoose

martymoose Registered

There are so many possible reasons first of all its usually someone that is a sim racer and wants to add something they want to drive or a location they want to drive on not currently done or at a level they hope to make.

Many people just get pleasure adding content and sharing with friends or the general community.

Many like to learn new things and this has been a great pathway to some that strive to work in the games industry. Its a great way to learn new skills and if you can make something at a very high standard it will open many doors if that's the path you want to follow.

Money as a motivator is completely wrong IMHO and against the general spirit of the community, you will never get any decent amount of money compared to the many hours you need to put in.

I have doubts about those taking that approach and doubt they will make anywhere near what they hoped. This may mean many of those won't hang around too long if money is the only motivator.

But those doing it as a hobby will keep going, if and when they have the time. Many leave as life gets in the way but there are always others wanting to start out and get into it.

For some reason some of the payware guys think the community is demanding something from others for free, or asking people to slave away for nothing. That is so wrong as people do their own thing and anyone demanding anything from modders including release dates should learn some respect and just keep quiet.

The only demands you can have are from yourself as nobody owes you anything. If you want something make it otherwise all you can do is hope others may make what you want.

That is unless you paid for something that doesn't work as it should. Once you pay for something you have every right to demand you get what you paid for. Anything free is use at your own risk, give constructive criticism and help encourage beginners and we will have a healthy community well into the future.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2013
  7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

People always want to look for an ulterior motive or an angle. Sometimes, this is especially true of modding for sims, people do stuff just because they enjoy it. You don't have to make money modding, you don't have to be paid for your time. It's a hobby it's what they like to do. That's a difficult concept for materialists to grasp. Doing for the love of doing, not for money.

8. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I should ask what does NOT motivate me doing modding? Nothing really.

I said in some other thread that I will do modding anyway, because I do it for myself. I want to drive car that does not exist in the game or drive a road that does not exist in the game. So I do it for myself, and when it is done why not share it. It is not that I lose anything by doing that.

I could do this also for other people, for money. But then I should do cars and tracks that sell well, but which I don't like at all. Yes, it is not my cup of tea. I am fan of obscures.

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That is for me, the only reason to call something a hobby in the first place :)

10. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I think the that's a very common view amongst most that do this as a hobby. Doing anything for money changes the purpose and also limits freedom in creativity, as can be seen as sims are a niche market as more simple games sell more. Doing anything for profit means you will just do things that will attract the most people and the majority is not always right in my eyes lol.

Doing things purely as you want them without needing to do things as others want them, this may seem selfish but in the end most are willing to share their work so others get to use their great work.

Sure everyone that releases things publicly hopes others like it but most won't sacrifice things simply to ensure they are more popular. Many simmers and modders like specific things that aren't always the most popular, I have started following more categories I never paid attention to thanks to modders that provided a cool mod and let me experience something I may not have any other way.

This is the same reason not many game/sim devs are allowed the creativity they wish they could have. As those funding the projects are doing so purely for financial benefits and so they need to target the mass market for the most sales. Modding allows you to do things the way you want with no deadlines and limited only by your creativity and skill levels. Skill improves with each new project and so it allows you to do even more things over time, allowing you to reach closer to what you hope to achieve.

There are plenty of games for the masses for those that like that sort of thing. I love rfactor and sims in general for the driving experience and challenges it brings, not something dumbed down with little challenge and the same boring series just because that's what most of the herd want. Sim tacing amd modding is a small niche and most mods are an even smaller niche within this, so it will never have huge mass appeal.

I'm cool with that and all the variety we get, thanks to the great community and devs like ISI that allow us this freedom.

11. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Pay vs unpaid mods aside:
    Doing something to the best of your ability should and always will be (for me at least) the only option.
    Case in point; I just got finished building a new two liter turbo engine for a guy on Friday night.
    He wanted to come by clean and paint everything but ran out of time and got delayed by a job assignment.
    Imagine his surprise when he walked into the shop on Friday night and found it all done...the block painted, valve cover powder-coated and exhaust ceramic coated as he wanted.
    I never let on that I'd do it. He wasn't expecting it, so he was extremely happy, as was I.
    Money is not necessarily always a motivator....but personal pride sure is.
    It just felt good.
    Every single engine I've ever built, I've assembled as if it were going into my personal car.

12. tjc

tjc Registered

Excellent post Saabjock...

I applaud your work ethic and attitude concerning that work. I can appreciate your post even more as I like to try and do similar things myself.

I look at it like this... if I`d been that guy you`d built the engine for, I`d have been absolutely delighted that you`d gone that bit extra and painted it up for me (as the guy was) and therefor I know by doing something like that myself for somebody else, would make them feel the same way.

I work for myself as a woodcarver, some jobs pay really well, some jobs don`t pay that well. For some of the small carved boxes I make I`m hardly making anything at all really but the same love, care and passion goes into every job I do...

Money is certainly not my motivation... I love being able to do what I do but I also love making the things people ask me to make and seeing them happy and pleased with the end product.

13. Jello

Jello Registered

If I was a clever person like the modders I would create a mod, simply for the pleasure of creating something cool & sharing it with others that might appreciate that particular mod. I truely take my hat off to the people out there that spend untold hours creating a mod & sharing it :).

So yeh, sometimes the motivation might be money, but there is also those who do it simply for the satisfaction of creating a mod & sharing it with like minded sim racers.

14. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

Money sure isn't the only and biggest motivation there is. I have no experience of modding games but I do have of making/playing music. I haven't shared anything online but I have palyed my tunes and covered other's on the street and I have never accepted money in return although people have offered that. I've done it for the love of playing music and pleasing others, not money. Money could be for some the motivation, but certainly not for everyone.

I think mod makers could adopt the "pay what you want" policy. Like Radiohead did with their In Rainbows album. There will surely be people who appreciate the work and donate a few bucks. Works for Humble Indie Bundles too :)