What happened to graphics?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by 2ndLastJedi, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

If that's the S397 GT3 Porsche then it's the problem with the new paint system which i just do not like. It just causes just too much hassle, I,m afraid your stuck with it.

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  2. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

@Highlandwalker
    Yep it's happening with gt3 package.
    Thank you, lets hope S397 make this paint system better someday.

3. enduser

enduser Registered

You have a good point but on the other hand rf2 engine is getting revised in some areas, like they say somewhere "relax everything is work in progress" whatever that means.
    What u say imho needs a large team of developers working at graphics only, which rf doesnt have unfortunately. After the fact, you and i can talk about priorities all day long... but i d like the developer to share more about want he aims for really, a real road map planning ahead and not a journal.

Side note, i played rf2 with an old 6XX card for a while and hot lapping (no AI) with F1 1988 mod cars dropped my FPS significantly using the same track, just 1 car. Thats why f1 88 mod cars look good undeniably but hack game performance, big variance in FPS indeed / cars use the largest amount of polygons, they re not "CPU only".

Tracks are not that heavy in graphics, especially when distance LODs are used and when they are u can use track detail to reduce objects or reduce mirror rendering distance, shadow rendering distance, shadows off etc.
    Thats why tracks should use grass blades and provide the option to remove them, thats about planning for everyone driving rf2 and not about the engine. AA could be more effective and midrange GPUs could just use lower settings like in most games, reducing all AA levels is non-optimization. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    2ndLastJedi likes this.
  4. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

I really want to know what exactly has been changed in this "performance" patch. For me visual quality and performance decreased at the same time. A few months ago, I was really happy that I finally managed to tweak the graphics settings(in game- and nvidia-settings) to never drop fps below 60 on triples with vsynch on in singleplayer. Even at night and performance heavy tracks like s397 Sebring, with 11 visible opponents/AIs at the start of the race. But now my fps drop below 40 when starting a race at night, even on performance light tracks. Tried with s397 and reiza content. After turning off PP, AA, special effects, shadows and reflections, opponent detail mid, still the same. I think it must be something with the headlights. Drawing distance/amount of drawn headlights(already halfed to 128 in .json)/shadow LOD or something. I don't remember the .json file setting from before the patch. For me the headlights of the other cars seem to be brighter than before(when I start from pole with the pack in my back, there is a true wall of light coming from behind. Can't remember if it was that extreme before).
    At daytime everything is OK. Was anyone else experiencing the same on triplescreen? Only things i changed in the past few weeks were some sound tweaks in the .json file, recommended in the MAK-corp group-c mod manual/thread and a nvidia driver update but I doubt the prior could be the reason for the fps drop.

5. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

YES!!! Finally i´ve solved my issue. I only turned off triple buffer + vsync in NVcontrol and switched vsync from "by GPU" to "by video" in rf2launcher. Now it works like before :) The strange thing is, it was working with the old settings all the time before and trying "vsync by video" was always resulting in CTD after loading the track (when I tried that for the first time some month ago).
    Now I´m really glad that it´s working again.

6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Oh man... i could have told you that a long time ago lol. The only one working for me was always "video". :)

Juwe Lahann likes this.
  7. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

Hmm, great...and I was messing around for about a month... :D.
    When I was testing " video" several times in the last few months, game always CTDed. But I think I forgot to disable vsync in NVdriver back then :rolleyes:. Don't know, could imagine there is some interference when RF setting is "by video" , while driver vsync is activated. As I said, it's been working with my old settings before. This solution was the last thing I expected. :oops:

Alex72 likes this.
  8. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Can you share your NV settings with your triples? Just set up my old triples, but dont remember optimized settings for this. TIA.

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

@Marcel Offermans can we please have an option to increase the reflection refresh rate ? Driving the Norma and having that big carbon fiber dash with stuttering reflections even though the ingame settings are completely maxed is rather distracting !
    Please :)
    Also an option to increase the shadow draw distance so we dont have that cascade shadow we have to follow around .

I understand the need to have lower settings for PC's that cant run rF2 at highest settings but my PC is at 40-60% maxed out at 4k with 44 cars at Sebring night and its not even high end anymore ,so why cant there be a true Ultra settings and we can just work from there , its near 2020 please let us have full control of settings .

Hopefully with the new Ui coming "tomorrow" this will be the case :)

Thank you very much for rF2 :)

Marisa and mesfigas like this.
  10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Just turn all syncs off and try nVidia inspector framerate limiter ! I use 61.8 and there is no tearing or stutter on my 4k 60Hz monitor :)

11. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

and I add can we have better car reflection by night ? the car reflection seems broken by night.
    And yes the framerate of the reflection should be at 60fps min.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

That request from me was in December 2019 :eek: do you think it was answered :rolleyes:
    Time for rF3 ;)

AlexHeuskat likes this.
  13. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Yes I didn't want to make a new thread...the new users can clearly see the developpement in this game is fast.
    Many things need update and won't change.
    I admit time for rF3 ;)

2ndLastJedi likes this.