What does Toban teach us (at least me)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lgel, Nov 5, 2017.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

Yep same, but they did run for a few months in rf2 but little interest as at that time many hadn’t converted to rf2

2. kro388th

kro388th Registered

It was kro or krobo ..can't remember .. it was good times tho !! ;-)

3. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Very factual example.

Huge differences on the trace / layout... and elevations, bumps, irregularities of the track etc etc ??

There is no debate to have..... facts are here.

The question is :

- Can we enjoy on a good fictionnal track like Toban ? For me YES, of course.
    - Is it ideal to train ? NO !
    - For a real track like the nordschleife and where a lot of guys like me drive in the real life, fictionnal bumps / elevations / and also layout / (and even not realistic graphics with wrong trees etc.), can be good for train ? (The goal of a track like this is to train) : NOOOOO !!!
    - Is it logical to have the best physics/real road/best cars content etc. WITHOUT using laser scanned track ? NO !
    - Why we do this ? Because we have at the end of 2017 no choice to use best physics + laser......
    - Honestly, is laser is a real part of the future of simulation ? YES........ of course.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is ideal to train. We dont need a track to be realistic to train.

I can train my poor driving abilities in all my fictional tracks despite all your argumentation about best possible simulation and bla bla bla.

The proof that you can train there is that you will improve your laptimes.

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Sorry for the confusion. 5-10 feet is indeed an important error. However, I don't expect those differences in XY.

I am not against laser scanning because it provides the so much needed accuracy in Z coordinate which influences driving much more.

6. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Not ideal to train doesn't mean impossible to train.

Don't read diagonally, more clever

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Read again yourself. I said it is perfectly ideal. I disagree about not being ideal.

8. bwana

bwana Registered

To train for nords maybe but no good to train for other tracks , toban is fine to train to improve driving skills as is almost every well created track real, fictional , laser or not. End of story

demerzel, fsuarez79 and Guimengo like this.
  9. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

And there you go again....repeating yourself, future of simulation, training, CAPS LOCK, best physics, best everything blah, blah and speaking as if what you say is the absolute truth.

You said you spend 99% of the time on Nordschleife so if you drive the Nordschleife in real life, yes it will help you.
    But if you don't drive anything else in the game (like Spa, Bahrain, COTA, Monza, etc....) and you most likely won't ever drive them in real life, then why do you care if they're laser scanned or not?

And EVERY track that is well done (fictional or not) will help you improve your sim racing skills but since you only drive one track, how would you know?

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I would like to extend the topic by saying that not only fictional tracks are awesome. I wish if that creativity could be extended to car content as well.

It should be noted that in nowadays design process, Simulation precedes Reality. In the same way Tilke designed COTA, first as a virtual track who was approved after being tested by simracers, the future of motor racing today is first design a virtual car and later try to make it real after being validated in the simulator. It is interesting that in the future the original track or car will be the fictional one and it is when trying to bring it to life when manufacturers fail to make an exact representation of what was simulated.

I would love to drive different cars. Well-balanced and fast. It would be awesome if under some restrictions a fastest car contest could be made. Let's call it for example Worlds fastest GT3. Restricted aero, mass and power values. Restricted Dimensions. All using standard GT3 tires coming in the official pack. All contestant cars should be S397 approved for avoiding "cheating". I still need to figure out how to determine which is the best car. Probably the most subjective part. We would need a jury composer of fast drivers who would drive all cars around one or maybe two tracks that can be considered representative of an average track.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    ECAR_Tracks, fsuarez79 and bwana like this.
  11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Gran Turismo and Sega Rally have had the best fictional tracks for me, within their racing disciplines. I preferred Essington because of the very high speed portion mixed with elevation and flow of corners, plus the challenge of keeping a clean and quick lap in the final two corners. Toban was quite enjoyable with low to mid powered open-wheel cars on the full layout with the blind corners and blind adjustments into apexes. The A1 GP leaked content proposal was a great match at Toban.

ECAR_Tracks, bwana and marmagas like this.