What do you use for track building? And how do you make it? Looking for guides...

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Silent_alarm, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Silent_alarm

Silent_alarm Registered

Hi.

As i have played lot of racing games and have lot's of hours in front of the games, i actually have few track ideas i'd like to make true. But the point is that it would actually be my first serious trackproject ever. I somewhat tryed to make a track for a game called Racer but that was a bit too much for me back then and i couldn't make the roads as i liked because of the software i tryed. I made some tracks for Trally, but that game project just went under many many years ago. And Trally was based with pretty much same kind of track making like Generally. So that's really no experience for me then, i haven't fiddled around modifying anything for 6-7 years.

So what are you using for making tracks on rFactor2? Bob's track builder? I gave it a spin years ago too but didn't have any ideas back then so that went a bit bust and i don't remeber anything about it anymore.

What i'm looking for is some pretty easy to get in and flexible program that could do pretty much everything. And basically a guide that would teach me how to do a basic, fully working track so i could start to learn this thing. Oh and is there a way to record some GPS data (elevation and drivingline) so it could be imported to the trackmaking program for reference? I'm mostly interested of making real or fictional roads rather than seperate tracks.

Thanks for every help in advance, i'm probably not alone with this.

2. les

les Registered

3ds max is what everyone is using to make tracks for rf2 you need 3ds max to be able to import into the rf2 there is no other way yet to be able to do it otherwise

3. Silent_alarm

Silent_alarm Registered

Umm, do you have any knowledge of Bobs track builder for rF1? Could you first make the track with it and convert it to rF2 using 3ds max? Would that cause some problems?

The difference with Bobs track builder and 3DS Max is that i was actually able to do something with the Bobs track builder. I was so lost with 3DS even with a handbook that i would actually need to take some studies for this with a teacher that would teach me how to make tracks and the scenery for it, i just couldn't work it out with the book. And i'm not in school anymore.

4. les

les Registered

yes you can create the track with bobs track builder for rf1 then you import it into 3ds max and go from there.here is a link to some good video tutorials for 3ds max and rf1

http://www.youtube.com/user/freew67#p/u

5. Silent_alarm

Silent_alarm Registered

Thank you very much. That really made my day ^^

6. les

les Registered

your welcome im going to be doing a rea lroad video tutorial soon inside 3ds max

7. freew67

freew67 Registered

Here is a link to my forum http://nsrs.jawcentral.com/forum/ There is an RF section in there with links to what tutorials I have done for mainly rF1 but they all transfer over to rF2. One of them is about spline mapping the real road texture. You can use BTB to create the track base, import into max, then export out to rf2. OR you could just make it in max and export to rf2. :)

http://www.mbdevteam.com/download/Tutorials/index.html

http://www.thepits.us/board/viewtopic.php?t=1006

Everyone has their own way of doing things. You just need to find your happy place and go from there. Good way to start learning max is with this Fiat 500 tutorial. http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/fiat500/fiat500.php
    I always suggest to folks to just start with the outside of the car and once your done do it again. Its all about just remembering where all 5000 buttons are hiding. Like I said, Im sure others have different opinions on this but this is where I started. Good luck!

8. Uzzi

Uzzi Registered

I made a complete guide for rF which details everything from setting up the files to modeling. It leans heavily on 3D Max, since that's the only program that can do everything 3D wise, so you will need to have at least a basic understanding of it to get the most from the guide.

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Track Building Tutorial 2.6

I still haven't taken the plunge to get rF2 yet myself. Once I do, and master the new features I will update it to the new sim.

I'm a bit cautious about modding ISI betas, after rF1, which when it's beta came out I had a track ready to be released but by the time the final 1.0 version of the sim was released, I had to redo just about everything to adapt it to the final graphics setup.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
  9. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

I work with BTB for some years but i realize that rfactor 2 is the excuse to start working on Max.

In max some days ago i could only map some textures but after 2 days reading tutorials and making some tests...

View attachment 1842

Tree "almost" ready for billboard properly...

So a advice from a 3ds Max noob, invest some time in Max because it worth it :)

10. Silent_alarm

Silent_alarm Registered

I must thank you once again.

I downloaded BTB yesterday, fiddeld around a bit with it but didn't achieve any notable results other than getting used to it. I couldn't sleep at night so i made one sketch for a track on paper, and then slept on it. Today i made the roads, tested it and i gotta tell you, i'm more than exited. The flow is so great in rF1 with the MK4 Supra that i'm actually going to make it as far as possible with BTB, and then ATLEAST try to fiddle around with the 3D Max for final touches and fixes and fill-ins that BTB can't do. There's few adjustments for the basic layout of the track since i'm getting used to BTB, basically few curvy hills that remind me of the cork screw on Lacuna Seca. But they're way too big, so i'm milding them down a bit. There's also one roundabout, but that is when btb apparently has a lack of flexibility. When i'm happy with the results in BTB, i'm gonna hit the world of 3D Max for better results :)

Thank you so much.

11. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

I only use BTB if its a closed circuit, for street circuits I like to build them street by street in max so you feel transitions more.

12. Slyder

Slyder Registered

Hi all, Just installed RFactor 2 and it looks promising! I created the Coffs Harbour Road Course for RF1 and didnt quite finish it. I'd like to update it for rFactor 2 but As some of you know BTB doesnt support Windows 7. What I'd like to know is If I use 3DS Max, Can I 100% edit my original BTB version of my circuit?

13. Radar

Radar Registered

Hi Slyder.. New to it also and in the same boat as you.. I have BTB working in Win 7 but anyway, to answer your question, yes you can use Max to edit your track.

14. Slyder

Slyder Registered

Cool, Thanks Radar. Should I try to get BTB working in 7? Its been at least 18 months since I last used it. Has something changed I should know about?

15. Radar

Radar Registered

In BTB nothing really changed no, best if you can (and as you are the same as me, a beginner) to bring your files into Max.

I'll send you a PM so we can work together in bringing our tracks to rF2.

16. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

i advise ppl to jump straight in 3dsmax because bobtbuilder has way too many limitations and i have not found any tutorials how to make a track from start to finish with a pitlane and you cant even connect 2 roads together without ****ty tweaks,and you required to make millions of adjustments in order to make really nice corners and if you a quality freak like me then the track objects will need a redesign and import them back in bobtbuilder because they are crap then whats the point why not make the whole track and objects in 3dsmax and you dont need to be 3d designer to make a track in max and you are more likely to find help in max than bobtbuilder because their software is used by millions of ppl.:eek:

17. Alesi

Alesi Registered

i know how to make the track with googlemap and import it in BTB (so the length of a track identical to real one)... how its work in 3dsmax (or others)?

18. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Actually, I believe you can do that with Mario's Script: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3173-MaxScript-KML-path-import

Haven't tested it, myself, but it seems like people are having success with it for the most part.

19. Alesi

Alesi Registered

thanks.. i will try, but posts in this threads says about some bugs or the program not working

20. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Alesi another way to do that in 3ds max without height,

Pick SAS planet and take a picture 100% square from area that you want. After that create a square plane in 3ds max and use the image that you pick from SAS planet.

In SAS planet with tile boundaries at z17 every square area gives you 237,854m so you just need to calculate the area you get from SAS planet to make sure the plane area match the image area :).

that was the first idea that cames to my head. With google sketchup for exemple you can get the terrain with elevation and background image ready to use in tracks too. :)