What do i need to mod?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Jeffy88, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Jeffy88

Jeffy88 Registered

Hello, i Just Purchased rFactor 2 off of Steam. i want to start modding but dont know any thing about it. iam willing to learn cause i would like to make my own cars and tracks. but i dont know what i need to get started. any special programs Etc.? i tried that dev mode thats on the rFactor 2 start up screen. but had no idea what to do. any help would be appericiated.
    Thanks.

2. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

3. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Start with small goals, it is easy to get discouraged.
    How well versed are you with building game assets? Have you created a livery for an existing car, and are comfortable in doing so? I suggest starting there.

Generally, you'll need a program to create 3D meshes, a program to edit textures, a program to edit sounds, a text editor. You should have at least a basic understanding of how to use your 3D program to build meshes from scratch and map them with textures built from scratch. You can get away with editing car physics with a text editor but a office/spreadsheet might be better. If you are building car physics be prepared to do a ton of research. General and specific technical knowledge of how a car works is important. I knew little, then started looking at a specific subsets of the vehicle physics. Learned about cars and how things work through modding rf1. Still learning. Never stop learning. Once you've enough data to put into rF, move on to the next subset and do it all over again. Eventually you will have a complete physics package.

4. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

Hi, I don't wish to hijack but had a similar question in regards to wanting to replace a car body but use ISI pre existing phyicics and the like. Any where special I should look for information on that ?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7

5. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Replacing one particular GMT is another really good small goal to get your feet wet before jumping in. You should should search around for the information on what file references what other file, it was specific to rfactor1, but much of it still applies. It is a Block/Flow looking diagram. When you find it you'll see the GEN files tell the graphics engine what GMT files to look for.

6. Jeffy88

Jeffy88 Registered

thanks for your help guys. but do any of you know what the best programs are to use for modding and where to get them? if they are free or how much they cost? Thanks.

7. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Are you on Facebook? Look at www.facebook.com/rf2modding Message us there and we'll help you to get started. Do you have any ideas on what cars or tracks you want to mod?

8. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Good guy Dylan ! ;)

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

10. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Programs hobby modders can use:

A 3D moddeling program:
    - autodesk 3DS Max (3 years student licese is free)
    - autobesk Maya (3 yearstudent license is free, Maya LT is avaiable for indie modders at Steam for a decent price)
    - Blender (open source software)

For textures:
    - photoshop elements. (I bought the premiere and photoshop elements pack.)
    - Gimp (open source)

rF2 modding tools:
    - gJED
    - dev mode

A usefull program is 3dsimed, but it is not needed to mod in rF2.

rF2 modding info:

- http://wiki.rfactor.net/index.php?title=Modding_Information
    - http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/

All official modding info and tutorials are with 3ds Max and the rF2 plugins.
    A Max version that works with the rF2 plugins is not available anymore for purchase....

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered