What causes this ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Dec 12, 2016.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I'm getting this weird graphical thing on quite a few cars . Some the same as this pic and some similar but sticking out from the rear wheels .
    If i look into the thing i can see the cockpit from my car and the dash read out . The ord (not sure what to call it) has four or more images of the same in it . Sort of like when you play 4 player split screen in something like Mario or something .

Attached Files:

2. Comante

Comante Registered

That bubble is that of the heat haze, the issue is probably related to some settings of your graphic card, or driver issue. It happened to me too once (ATI owner) I think it disappeared updating the drivers or changing some settings, or disabling heat haze (can't remember now, it was at least 2 years ago).

3. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

That's the heat heaze bubble: it's not rendered correctly: That could be caused by tweaking the nvidia profiler.

If you have graphic bugs. Check these things first:

If you ever had changed something in the nvidia control panel in the past. Your graphic bugs might be still present.

- Set your nvidia control panel for rFactor 2 to default !!! It messes with the Config.ini and cache !!!
    - Clean up your "UserData/log/CBash" and "UserData/log/shader" folder (delete the containing files)
    - Remove the player.json and config.ini (cut/past to desktop to keep a back-up)
    - launche rF2 it will create a new clean config.ini and player.json.
    - set your graphic settings again: only use settings available in rF2.

Don't forget to save your controller settings!!! So you can load your personal controller profile again. Or reassign your controller bottons again.

At first launche: rF2 will generate a new shader cache: So first launche of a car/track combo will be slower. But will be a lot faster the second time.

Quote from Tuttle (ISI Dev)

Starting from a clean installation, with a clean player/config file, the best way to proceed with graphics settings is to JUST use ingame settings, pushing on high AA levels and anisotropic filtering x8 or x16 (and of course good track/car quality settings)...and that without overriding anything via inspector and/or CCP.

(Also HDR must be ON if you want a proper modern lighting. ==> is default)

This way you can load the game and check how it looks. If you see trees are looking properly (no alpha jaggies) and texture are sharp enough to see details into it (aniso texture filtering), you can decide to be happy (and stop tweaking)...or start experimenting extra settings, outside the game.

But this is the time where you can mess with profiles and configs, so you have to check every single step, and every single click you are doing with CCPs and inspectors, to see how things are working. May happen a CCP/Inspector change is going to mess the config.ini and cache... and you can't just roll back from those settings, without cleaning up that file (aka generating a brand new one). Same for the Players.JSON and Transparency AA, or xpaa, using False to make wrong trees looking better and then making correct trees looking wrong.

Still, the easy way to make the game looking at best, is to go easy peasy, with standard ingame settings. This is where you are working inside our choices, instead playing with a very big mix of variables we can't control.

bwana likes this.
  4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I think this appears if HDR is off. Set it on.

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Your posted screenshot has a massive bluish tint in it, which suggests you are using some color override stuff in GPU settings or a third party plugin, as this is not the default look of rF2. I concur with what @Gijs van Elderen said, reverting back to default settings in both GPU Control Panel and rF2 (+removing plugins) will probably fix it

6. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Another solution is to disable this effect by setting "Heat FX Fade Speed":0, in Player.json.
    I didn't spend time figuring out which exact of my settings causes this, but I suspect it is either SGSSAA or AA gamma setting, I just turn effect off.

Guimengo likes this.
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Okay , this is alot to take in . Yes i have enabled Inspector sparseGrid x2 and SSAA x8 , heaps of Mods ,cars,track ,Ui and FFB/Pedal overlay but nothing else .
    Might have to just start again i think .
    Thanks for your input :)

8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Okay awesome the picture doesn't have that blue tint to it (thought that was how it was supposed to look) and these weird orb things are gone (they are/where heat haze) but now the reflections are gone , the cars all seem to have mat/flat paint. Before i removed/cleaned up all the suggested stuff the car bonnets from cockpit cam where great now they are gone . ?
    Any hints to get them back . I'm running all stock but maxed settings (blur off) @4K.

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

For the posted screenshot, i assume outdated mod version ;-)