What becomes of rFactor2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kickbox, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I see, cheers for info both.

Maybe the fear (in the modders mind) that another build etc -changes to the core of rf2 (if I'm making sense here)
    will compromise the quality of their mod?
    At the moment Rf2 does give an impression of an unfinished state maybe this is what some modders are finding unappealing, anyway now I'm just guessing.

2. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

That is indeed something the modders who have waited do fear, but in my experience with the mods we've released, they have nothing to fear in that front.

3. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Will not be radical changes in the core, for sure. If something change will be a little thing as Petros said. A perfect example is feels3 tracks, just needed a little update after a big change made by ISI, and no more through lot of time.

Petros, as modder, is saying you modders can start with no problems... what more do you need?

And I can say you as league admind and driver, rF2 is 100% ready for league racing. Maybe is needed an update to improve the visuals, UI (to be user friendly, we need It), to tweak realdoar and weather... I agree with that, I hope ISI will work way more in this title and will give us more content and fixes, but to say rF2 It's not ready for racing is also false. My league is a perfect example, organizing rF2 champs since 2012 (first year testing builds, but after first 10 or 12 months we did a fully functional championshiop, and we are still organizing champs since that day). RaceDepartment is also organizing some champs with Renaults, and FSR decided to join rF2 after they checked rF2 in a 5 races preseason "test".

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Yes feels3 tracks only seemed to need a bit of tweekimg here&there after some new builds
    (I say this but not sure how long it took him but I get the impression it wasn't a big deal)

There's a very positive side to rf2 ( superior dynamics / physics / ffb ) but I think we're all aware of the negatives
    (as repeated throughout these forums)

I think perhaps it's these negatives that put off a lot of potential sales as well as more modding support.

Hopefully everything will come good though etc.

P.s I maxed out rf2 to take a look at the visuals, with a decent HDR profile there really isn't anything wrong with rf2's graphics , in fact they looked very seriously good.

I'm hoping when the HD rift lands they'll be a big performance boost for me
    ( as I currently run triple screen permanently in 3d vision )

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I think it was a pretty simple general response, advising you and others to try having some fun. But hey, feel free to get offended. That's real helpful as well in terms of lightening things up. Oh, wait, no it's not. :) Last sentence said "us", not "you", by the way.

6. 88mphTim

If that is what you want, great. That isn't what everyone else's product currently is. So I don't understand the comparison. I think Apple's do a better job of being fruit than every other fruit, too, because I like how Apple tastes.

I would love to license a full series, but there's an issue of having an engine to develop. That takes 90% of resources (time, manpower) and expenses. Focus on one type of racing doesn't even allow us to properly support mods. We still are building different cars ourselves so that modders can do a better job making their own of that type. This is why the whole "get rid of the content creators so you can focus on the engine!!!11" crowd are quite annoying for their lack of understanding.

With that said, please cease negative comments about Reiza immediately. Thank you.

7. 88mphTim

I just like the fact that we're building mostly racing cars. I'm confused by the number of road cars in what are supposed to be "racing" sims. GT series confuses the hell out of me. ;)

It's pretty clear leagues are starting to switch now, we're getting contacted by more and more of them to ask about things.

8. 88mphTim

The problem was that you had a problem with an area affected by that same issue.

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Hear hear :)

10. 88mphTim

Which means our software is a different GENRE effectively. A GENRE that you don't prefer. If you want a full series, then saying we CAN'T do it is silly, Reiza CHOOSES to use the engine they licensed in the way they are, because they can.

As I said, I think apple is a better fruit than every other fruit. Oranges just aren't capable of giving me that apple taste I am looking for. Oranges are inferior at the whole fruit thing.

11. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I included Reiza because they have done a great job with content creation – arguably a much better job than ISI.

The rendered image below is almost three years old and all of these cars appear to be at least 80% modeled. I realize that textures, sounds, and physics take additional time, but the only "new" car I can think of in the past 25 months is the Civic, which just came out. ISI has seemingly prioritized track creation above vehicle creation, which is fine, but I'm really confused why they seemingly refuse to acknowledge the existence of this track...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 88mphTim

The differences in the level of coding required making a racing game engine into a racing game, and Unity 3D into whatever you're going to use it for, are massive. This is the perfect example of why you clearly don't understand what people are saying to you. :)

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

this this this a thousand times this, if I want a road driving simulator I jump in my Real car and go for a drive, I want to RACE and race with RACING CARS!

14. 88mphTim

80% modeled to 2009-2012 poly counts, yeah. What is your post actually saying? Reiza have done a better job creating content, because that's 95% of what they've had to do? I guess I would like some clarification on what you mean there.

15. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

+1. I never understood the whole street/production car allure in racing sims.

16. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I was just responding to Petros Mak's claim that Reiza isn't worth comparing to ISI.

17. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I've never said anything negative about Reiza.

18. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

What I am saying is that as a full developer, someone who develops a full game, engine etc, is worth comparing with ISI. A developer who uses another's engine and only adds content cannot be compared to a developer who makes both engine and content. Maybe on the content side they could be compared, who's content is more appealing, but this whole, "he's content is better" is wholly disputable by every individual's appeal. Like I said, I have nothing against Reiza's game, it just doesn't appeal to me as much as rF2 or others do. And even to the appealing side, it falls down to each individual.

19. 88mphTim

Although you may have been quoted, I never said you did. Petros was actually getting there in tone.

20. 88mphTim

In terms of what they create and why, they're not. You're comparing Reiza's choice to make a series simulation with ISI's choice to not do so, based on the fact that Reiza choose to make a series simulation, and ISI choose not to, and how you feel about each of those choices. It's more amusing than anything else, and a nonsensical comparison in most others.

As I've said, it's like saying Apple's do a better job of being fruit, and expecting that to be a valid opinion for others. You stated "I included Reiza because they have done a great job with content creation – arguably a much better job than ISI." So, what does that mean? You haven't clarified. Because you know we haven't tried to create a full series, right? Or are you suggesting Mores, Silverstone, the Civic, F2, etc are inferior to their cars and tracks (which would be the clarification I would seek, and comparison I would understand/accept/etc).