[WIP] Wellington 500

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Drathuu, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Thought i would start re-doing (From Scratch) my original Wellington 500 track for RF2. Started a year ago, but stalled for almost all of last year - Fatigue/work etc.. But got the Mojo back and been busy a few nights a week this year starting to pull it together. (The challenge - lift the bar again on my previous work - both detail in objects, visuals textures and lighting) and this being my first full build end to end in max (So steep learning curve) however im getting more and more profficient day.

Note: This is a very early WIP - Placeholders everywhere.. ive been concentrating on getting the surface to the bumpy street surface feel i wanted then scratch building and texturing everything by hand - the asset library is building up, however a long long way to go.

Ill release an alpha when its around 75% done.. (I'd say im at around 25%). Plan is to have all variants from 86 to 92.. Which is 4-5 from what i can find in video - A lot more than my RF version.

Happy for any input/feedback - if anyone has any decent imagery of the buildings in that era that would be handy, im building textures off of old video and matching to current google earth imagery however some of the older buildings along the wharf front dont exist anymore, so i have 320x200 youtube videos to work from :)

Eddy, Corti, Ari Antero and 9 others like this.
  2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I didn't need to watch much of that video to see your models are nice and this is going to be good. I look forward to your finished product

Drathuu likes this.
  3. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I lived in NZ 85-87 was at the first race practice watching from the streets as a teenager. I only have rusty images in my head. Shame mobile phones weren't as common back then :)

4. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

5. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

What a project :)

qusimano, peterchen and Marc Collins like this.
  6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Looking good buddy, keep up the great work! :D

peterchen likes this.
  7. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Very nice. In the attached pictures it can be seen how much realism dirt adds. Perfect textures look artificial (roadway signs) while old looking ones (walls and buildings) look much more realistic.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Can you run this past the WETA studios and the Stonestreet studio lot and then out of the city to Matamata location of Hobbition!
    :)
    dh

Drathuu likes this.
  9. philrob

philrob Registered

Drathuu,
    any further news on this great track ?